SHORT Book List

A place for general chit-chat, hanging out, off topic stuff, shooting the breeze, ranting, introducing yourself to the forum, saying "Hi!", etc.
bert stoltenborg

Re: SHORT Book List

Postby bert stoltenborg » Sun, 2019-Oct-06, 13:16

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Mon, 2019-Oct-07, 10:53

bert stoltenborg wrote:For what it's worth, I totally agree. There is a lot of silly stuff in that book, Eric Desart and Brian Ravnaas also agreed on that.
http://www.bobgolds.com/RecordingStudio ... ll_Pg7.jpg
Thanks Bert! It's good to know that I'm not alone in my low opinion of this book, especially when folks like you and Eric Desart think the same (and Brian too). Eric was (and still is) at the top of my list of "highly admired acousticians". A great man, and such a shame that he's no longer with us. But his legacy lives on, and the proof of everything he said and taught is out there, embodied in one of the greatest studios ever built. I can imagine that he would not have been at all impressed with Newell's methods.

The image you posted is a clear example of what I'm talking about with some of the places Newell built: all those layers of different "stuff", each of which is claimed to do "something" but without any proof that it really does, not any testing or theory... and then ending up with a 3-leaf system (at least 3)! :roll: Of course, there's so much mass in there that it still works decently, but the same or better results could have been obtained with less mass, less effort, and less expense.

- Stuart -

Avare

Postby Avare » Tue, 2019-Oct-08, 03:02

I am trying again to send you Long. Is there a file size limit? The file is 30 MB.

Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction.

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Tue, 2019-Oct-08, 12:28

Is that in PDF format? I'll check the board settings. I thought I had it set quite high, but I'll check and update. There's so man settings on this forum!

- Stuart -

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Tue, 2019-Oct-08, 12:34

OK, that was it: I had not set the limit high enough for PDF files.... It should be fine now. Thanks for letting me know, Andre!

Avare

Postby Avare » Tue, 2019-Oct-08, 15:13

Okay. In the words of Ridley "All right y'all, here we go again." From "The Right Stuff."

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Tue, 2019-Oct-08, 23:14

Thanks, Andre!

Okay. In the words of Ridley "All right y'all, here we go again." From "The Right Stuff."
I loved that movie! (And the book, too... :) )

- Stuart -

bert stoltenborg

Postby bert stoltenborg » Thu, 2019-Oct-10, 12:44

Avare wrote:Architectural Acoustics (Applications of Modern Acoustics) ( PDFDrive.com ).pdfOkay. In the words of Ridley "All right y'all, here we go again." From "The Right Stuff."

It is a relatively comprehensive book covering a lot of stuff, but it contains incorrect information or sometimes over simplifies things.
Jonathan Schaeffer pointed out some of this (I can't find it but I will try later) and I remember the info on sound barriers was not adequate when I used this book in a discussion with Eric about the official calculation procedure of barriers. (Eric made an Excel file and I pointed out some flaws in the official formula's using FEM.)
The Springer Handbook of Acoustics by Rossing was better, it explained for example the 'research' of Makeawa.
http://www.geluidforum.nl/viewtopic.php?t=1385
http://www.geluidforum.nl/viewtopic.php?t=1457

It is like the Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook by Borwick or the loudspeaker book by Martin Colloms.
The information is not very complex but a friend of mine who made a MathCad file to simulate a ribbon loudspeaker using the math in these books got erronous results.
He had to chew through Beranek's Acoustics and Olson's Acoustical Engineering to get it right.

Avare

Postby Avare » Fri, 2019-Oct-11, 09:45

bert stoltenborg wrote:
Avare wrote:Architectural Acoustics (Applications of Modern Acoustics) ( PDFDrive.com ).pdfOkay. In the words of Ridley "All right y'all, here we go again." From "The Right Stuff."

It is a relatively comprehensive book covering a lot of stuff, but it contains incorrect information t.

Thanks. I am looking forward to the ppsts you mentioned.

bert stoltenborg

Postby bert stoltenborg » Sat, 2019-Dec-21, 13:06

I found this. Seems a nice ducument.
Attachments
Sound_Insulation.pdf
(8.11 MiB) Downloaded 891 times
Sound_Insulation.pdf
(8.11 MiB) Downloaded 891 times

bert stoltenborg

Postby bert stoltenborg » Tue, 2019-Dec-24, 15:34

Hmmm, I got this book via academia.edu.
I thought they send only papers that are for free publication.
Now they send me the Master Handbook, so I googled the book I posted here and it seems to be a work that is sold by Amazon, so probably this is an copyright infringement?
Then I'll delete it of, of course.

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Thu, 2019-Dec-26, 00:05

Hmmm, I got this book via academia.edu.
Yeah, I've been getting quite a few book download links from them recently. Not sure what's up with that, or even how they get published books in PDF format, but I've wondered about the legality of that too. If someone does contact me about your link, then I'll take it down, but until then I'm not sure it's needed. After all, if they same book (and several others) are freely and openly available from academia.edu without any problem, then why would it be a problem to have the same ones here?

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Thu, 2020-Jan-02, 19:12

Soundman2020 wrote:
Avare wrote:Your commentary on Rose was interesting. It is amazing as a short (dare I write pithy) document on the acoustics of one the largest groups involved with acoustics
Ahhh! THAT one! I had that filed under "BBC Engineering Guide" for some reason, and without the author. No wonder I couldn't find it! The BBC stuff is great.

Maybe I should post the entire set of BBC papers that I have accumulated over the years: there's a ton of really useful info in those! Not sure about Copyright issues, though.

- Stuart -

As the UK taxpayers sponsored the BBC’s research (unless I am mistaken), I think I can speak for the UK bunch in saying, we’re happy to share the research providing the composers/researchers are credited... that does matter...

- Success in music is being able to make music whatever your situation -

Avare

Postby Avare » Wed, 2020-Jan-08, 06:16

It fits with © Invisible Alpha.

Happy New Year!
Attachments
BRADLEY Sound Absorpion of Gypsum Board Walls.PDF
(1 MiB) Downloaded 921 times
BRADLEY Sound Absorpion of Gypsum Board Walls.PDF
(1 MiB) Downloaded 921 times

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Wed, 2020-Jan-08, 16:10

Woohoo! Thanks Andre! :thu:

And Happy New Year to you as well! May it be an acoustically sound year for you...

- Stuart -