New member and about me.

A place for general chit-chat, hanging out, off topic stuff, shooting the breeze, ranting, introducing yourself to the forum, saying "Hi!", etc.
Mr.vybz

New member and about me.

Postby Mr.vybz » Wed, 2020-Mar-04, 17:31

Hey Guys & Gals,

I feel great joining this forum as i want to share my Mixing Studio Room build in my basement here, with all it's trials and errors lol.
I have a basic understanding of Acoustics, but a diploma/certifications in Network Engineering, which i been in for 10+ years.

I have been procrastinating for years to do this studio and thought its just easier to mix & produce with Headphones, Cars & Home Theatre Systems, but after a while it's a workflow killer and i cant get that depth & width in my music to shine, you know that wet spatial 3D sound lol.

No worries as i finally had the budget to bring my dream studio to life, it's was happening then boom, life decides to throw a swirl at me and i was forced to cut my budget by 75%. I didn't give up and bought what i could and said screw treating the room, decent gear should make up the difference......oh how i was wrong :( .

So i went on a gear site and read thousands of Acoustic posts from Avare, Ethan, DanDan, Thomas, GIK, Soundman2020, Tim & Finally Philip Newell to grasp what i could and sometimes rereading posts and nothing was concrete at first :horse: it seem either i pay a acoustician, pay for their products for basic support, or DIY with trial & error.

I took the third option and started visiting Acoustic vendor sites to gain insight on building techniques, designs & materials. I then read through various Acoustic books/pdfs from BBC, NASA, F. Alton Everest, Jürgen Meyer, RPG & recently but costly Peter D'Antonio & Trevor Cox book which am currently reading(i wish i read this earlier, you live and you learn).

Well that enough about me, and stay tuned while im compiling data and changing my testing methodologies to match Stuart REW guidelines.

Thank you for your time.

A dead room? Hmm that sounds like a coffin, I prefer to have my control room dry.

Soundman2020
Site Admin

New member and about me.

Postby Soundman2020 » Thu, 2020-Mar-05, 13:24

Mr.vybz wrote:Source of the post Hey Guys & Gals,

I feel great joining this forum as i want to share my Mixing Studio Room build in my basement here, with all it's trials and errors lol.
I have a basic understanding of Acoustics, but a diploma/certifications in Network Engineering, which i been in for 10+ years.

Hi there, and welcome to the forum! Really glad to have you here.

I'm looking forward to your thread about your place! It sounds like you have put a lot of work into it, so it would be great to have it all documented here, so others can see what you have accomplished, and how you did it.

Once again, welcome! :) :thu:

- Stuart -

Mr.vybz

New member and about me.

Postby Mr.vybz » Mon, 2020-Mar-09, 11:21

Thanks for having here. My schedule is clear for a few weeks so i can start retesting.

Question about REW, i notice that when i test without insulation in the room it's like 20db louder and i have to adjust the volume, should i be re-calibrating the SPL in REW between insulation and no insulation?

A dead room? Hmm that sounds like a coffin, I prefer to have my control room dry.

Soundman2020
Site Admin

New member and about me.

Postby Soundman2020 » Mon, 2020-Mar-09, 11:33

Mr.vybz wrote:Source of the post Question about REW, i notice that when i test without insulation in the room it's like 20db louder and i have to adjust the volume,
Right! That's due to the modal issues in the room, which can indeed increase the level significantly. Those levels will be lower once you start putting the treatment in: the empty room is the "worst case" scenario.

should i be re-calibrating the SPL in REW between insulation and no insulation?
I prefer to calibrate REW for the empty room, with the highest levels, then keep that calibration the same permanently for all future measurements, without ever changing it: that way, you can easily compare the graphs in REW without having to adjust anything on previous graphs, or new graphs. It simplifies things. (There is a way for you to adjust the level of any measurement in REW after it has already been taken, but I prefer to not use that unless I really have to)

Here's the procedure for doing the calibration, in case you haven't already seen it:

How to calibrate and use REW to test and tune your room acoustics

Please do start your own thread in the "RECORDING STUDIO ACOUSTICS AND TREATMENT" section of the forum, and post your REW measurements there, along with information about your room, and some photos too! That would be great.

- Stuart -

Mr.vybz

New member and about me.

Postby Mr.vybz » Mon, 2020-Mar-09, 12:53

Consider It done.

Thx

Soundman2020
Site Admin

New member and about me.

Postby Soundman2020 » Mon, 2020-Mar-09, 15:11

:thu:

- Stuart -

Purelythemusic

New member and about me.

Postby Purelythemusic » Fri, 2020-Mar-13, 19:29

Welcome! Sounds like you’ve had a journey!

- Success in music is being able to make music whatever your situation -

Mr.vybz

New member and about me.

Postby Mr.vybz » Sun, 2020-Nov-29, 07:35

Sorry for the long delay but here it is https://www.digistar.cl/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=2898#p2898