FORUM IS BACK ON-LINE AGAIN!

A place for general chit-chat, hanging out, off topic stuff, shooting the breeze, ranting, introducing yourself to the forum, saying "Hi!", etc.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Mon, 2020-Oct-26, 20:27

AAAARGHHH!!!! Gremlins in the system....

Yesterday, the Forum server decided to take a vacation, and powered itself down for no good reason :cop: ... And in doing so, it corrupted the "sessions" data base.... so badly, in fact, that I couldn't even get in myself! Not even through the data-base control panel.... I'm no expert on MySQL, so I had to do some learning on how to repair data-bases manually. Fortunately, it wasn't too hard in the end, and everything recovered, with no data loss! :yahoo:

Sorry about the down-time, but I really didn't want to re-load the previous backup, as that would have lost a whole bunch of posts and messages, so it was better to do the "repair" instead (The forum is backed up several times per day, but quite a few hours had elapsed between the last backup and the system crash....)

Anyway, the good news is that we are back up and running, without any data missing!

The bad news, is that we were down for nearly an entire day.... :( :cen: .... and the badder news (for me!) is that I need to do some more learning about MySQL.... So I can fix things more quickly next time.

I'm also working on adding an entire new backup server, that should take over automatically in the event the main one takes another vacation, but that's gonna take a little while....

Best regards,

Stuart

endorka

Postby endorka » Mon, 2020-Oct-26, 20:40

Good to have you and the server back Stuart!

Cheers,
Jennifer

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Mon, 2020-Oct-26, 22:01

I think, Stuart, that you have just qualified as a MySQL expert in the last 24 hours. Well done and thanks for the forum.

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Tue, 2020-Oct-27, 15:33

Thanks for the comments, guys! Keeping a forum like this going is quite a challenge! But very much worth-while. :thu:

- Stuart -