Whishes and..about this forum future

A place for general chit-chat, hanging out, off topic stuff, shooting the breeze, ranting, introducing yourself to the forum, saying "Hi!", etc.
lostandfound

Postby lostandfound » Sat, 2020-Dec-26, 12:33

First...Happy Holidays to all.

I write very little here due to my difficulties with English but read almost everything and only when i am certain can answer someone...Google always helps me ;) .
Soon I will resume my thread on our new control room even if this year it was really very difficult to progress in the building, i think all of us to a small or large extent have been affected.

I kindly ask if any of you have news of Stuart, i have personally sent him several emails, also i notice that he has not replied on the forum for a long time, i am a bit worried ... i hope without reason.

In my last email addressed to him, i allowed myself to informing him that this forum has enormous potential but equally it cannot be based exclusively on his interventions which often destabilize us a lot when it happens that he is absent for a long time.
I know there are people among us (i certainly don't) who could help him, at least for the basic acoustic rules, someone has been doing it for a long time and i congratulate them for their dedication.
We know, however, that many new users come here asking for help for new projects for which too much knowledge is involved and everything becomes more difficult.
Unfortunately, we often find ourselves in the position of having to only get information and .... if Stuart does not answer us .... we are forced to post on other forums, ... it is not nice and constructive in my opinion.
Hope you read my post numerous, i invite those who have knowledge to talk with Stuart to propose their own collaboration, it would be really great .... but maybe Stuart doesn't like it, he'll tell us what he thinks.

All the best,

Lucio

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Sat, 2020-Dec-26, 21:30

Stuart has been quiet recently which is a surprise to us all. Stuart will either be busy with work, family, holiday or ill. Others have sent him emails or private messages which he has not yet answered so you are not the only one.

Your suggestions about others helping out will only work if other people want to help as everything is voluntary here.

I hope you are having a lovely Christmas.

lostandfound

Postby lostandfound » Sun, 2020-Dec-27, 06:53

Hi Starlight,

thank you for the reply, happy holidays to you too.

I know that collaboration would be voluntary and free here and you and others have been contributing to that for some time.
There is also Aware of which i have read a lot and many others that could help, everyone could get a personal collaboration, after all so things can't go on so slowly.
I also proposed to Stuart to collaborate with me for one of several requests that I find myself having here in Italy and for which i am not at all prepared to do it independently, sad ...
Starlight are you collaborating with John Brandt for the design of your studio? I followed him a lot, and asked him for a couple of advice even recently about the substitute for Homasote (??) and the use of MLV membranes .... he has less conventional visions that very often overturn the vast majority of what you read on other forums, it appeals to pure physics!...very interesting.

About Stuart, i am a little worried about his health, regardless of the work we still have to do, it is very strange that he has not posted even the wishes for a happy holidays, this is his forum and he is rightly proud of it .... all this makes me worry about him, my build will be able to continue with others if we have urgency, money ... you know, when they are finished ....stimulate us to make do a little more.

The best for everything

Lucio

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Tue, 2020-Dec-29, 10:53

lostandfound wrote:Source of the postStarlight are you collaborating with John Brandt for the design of your studio?
If I remember correctly, John has two ways of working. One, you give him all the dimensions and requirements and then buy the plans for your studio from John and get no further help. That is the cheaper method.

I chose the second method which is to buy the plans from him and then send him lots of photos as the work progresses so that he can check every day's work was done properly. It uses more of his time and so is the more expensive route.

We are talking now about how quiet Stuart has been recently. In the 15 months I have been working with John there have been times when he has been quiet ... but I expect he could say that there have been times when I have been quiet.

If you or anyone else chose to work with John I would be happy to help as John's plans seem to me to me to be planned for the American market and simply converting inches to centimetres has produced measurements that are very difficult to work with, for example, John often uses 24" but 608mm is difficult in Europe when items here (boards, plasterboard, drop ceilings, insulation and more) are 600 or 1200mm wide and I don't want to use 608mm and dispose of the remaining 592mm because it is not full width. Knowing whether John's measurements are precise for the acoustics or just convenient using US materials is not obvious. Also, sourcing some items has been impossible, others have been difficult to find European equivalents.

If you are looking for help, there are many studio designers and acoustics companies in Europe, not all are on a forum such as this one.

lostandfound

Postby lostandfound » Tue, 2020-Dec-29, 19:15

Hi Starlight,

just to tell.....

my collaboration with John did not benefit from the choice you tell me .... there was a cost for each design phase that you could choose whether to implement or not (sound insulation, VAC, electrical system etc), regardless of the costs and the undisputed professionalism that all attribute to him .... I did not lean towards him because even for only 20 cm in length of the control room he made me some problems, maybe even true, he did not believe that with windows on the sides in that position do the right treatment .... the ceiling had to be 5 cm higher etc etc.....I should have demolished everything :(
All this to say that it is easy to win easy with all the parameters in your favor, less effort by the designer ..... success almost guaranteed!

And then, RFZ which is a concept that it believes to be outdated (as Northward perhaps can say .... I don't know at what price) still holds in my opinion the best compromise between costs / benefits and, I add, the possibility of aesthetic intervention.
Frankly, John's latest works are a bit heavy and aesthetically outdated but it's my personal opinion.

Stuart has proven that he can operate small control rooms by knowing what needs to be done to deal with them, all backed up by real data .... I've never seen any control room data (measurements) John designed.

But rightly, we are not here to talk about John .... I told you about my experience with him, I respect him very much anyway.

My suggestion for this thread was simply to stimulate those who have knowledge in acoustics to revive this forum that, with the absence of Stuart, almost freezes .... that's all.

Thank you for your availability, Stuart is currently our designer, he has already given us most of the project and that's okay, mine is more a thought extended to those looking for help on this forum, I hope it is explained to me good.

You are doing a great job with your studio, congratulations !!

I wish you the best, ciao

Lucio