Hello from Salem, Oregon, USA

A place for general chit-chat, hanging out, off topic stuff, shooting the breeze, ranting, introducing yourself to the forum, saying "Hi!", etc.
Guit-picker

Postby Guit-picker » Thu, 2021-Apr-22, 18:55

Hello everyone! I am Ron (Guit-picker). I’ve been working on my studio project for our church conference center for close to 8 years and we will finish this summer…. FINALLY! I first posted on John Sayers’ forum in November, 2014. The long topic there is titled “Salem Oregon conference center studio”. I will start a new post here with the same name, as Soundman2020 has encouraged me to do so.

It’s been (and continues to be) a wild ride and has taken much, much, much more time than anyone expected. I am in the scariest, and most-feared (and my weakest) point, which is the acoustics. That’s where I will need the most help. The Control Room is nearly completed (still working on the last of the acoustics and console desk wiring) and then it’s off to the three empty live rooms.

The Sayers’ forum has been a wealth of information and help, especially from Soundman2020. He has “saved my skin” several times from disaster from following my own intuition with sound and invariably, the WRONG thing! I am very glad to be on this forum and will be hoping for experienced help in the acoustics work ahead. Rod Gervais’ book has also been invaluable.

On the personal side, I am a bonafide guitar nut (5 acoustics, 3 electrics and a bass). I started playing with reel-to-reel tape recorders in 1970 and have been interested in recording since. Life got busy keeping a home with a wife and 7 children and I got back into recording for fun as they grew older. Kids are grown and on their own now, 15th grandchild on the way, and I’ve been widowed since 2009. Other interests are woodworking, hiking, biking and SCUBA. I travel often to Norway to visit family and friends – at least before COVID!

The recording studio project has been a “gift” for me to throw myself into. Now I am MORE than ready to see it done and so is the church leadership (more than understandably!). I “retired” from my “paying job” last August (Electronics Engineering Technician) and now have much more flexibility than I have had to get this job done! Only then, will I consider myself really retired!

Glad to be on this forum and looking forward to connecting with new friends here!
-Ron (Guit-picker)

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Fri, 2021-Apr-23, 02:26

Just a quick note to say hello, Ron, and welcome.

endorka

Postby endorka » Fri, 2021-Apr-23, 04:01

Good to see you here Ron. I remember your posts from the Sayers forum, the work you've done is superb so it's great to hear you are going to complete the studio. 2014? Tempus fugit!

Cheers,
Jennifer

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Fri, 2021-Apr-23, 10:57

Welcome and please post some pictures. I am just building my studio designed by Stuart but not ever totally completed. Building is going up now! Good luck..
Dr Space

Guit-picker

Postby Guit-picker » Fri, 2021-Apr-23, 14:34

Thanks, all for the warm welcome. I am starting my update today and it won't be easy to sum up 7 years of progress including drawings and photos - and to keep it concise as possible, but I will "get 'er done"!
-Ron