Please advise me on this room treatment plan (REW & Sketchup files)

All about acoustics. This is your new home if you already have a studio or other acoustic space, but it isn't working out for you, sounds bad, and you need to fix it...
marbles

Postby marbles » Tue, 2022-Nov-29, 06:14

hi,

this is my first post here.. great forum.

i'm planning to add simple velocity based treatment to my home studio.

I've included REW & Sketchup files with all dimensions. I used a Dayton umm-6 USB mic with cal file which i pointed it at the ceiling as per Dayton's instructions when i emailed them. It was placed in the mix position.

Looking at the room, I can't move the desk/speakers at this stage and just want to make it respectable sounding at the mix position for now.. so the purple areas are what i thought would be the obvious targets.

Everything in the Sketchup model is accurate and to scale including the desk/speakers. The windows behind the speakers have different distances to their adjacent side walls (this is not an error in the model). The wedge shaped structure to the right hand side is a stairwell. The rear rooms are used for storage and the rear wall FRZ is not really treatable at this stage due to a lot junk stored up against it. This internal rear wall is plaster like the ceiling, all other FRZ's are bare brick. Floor is carpet on a cement slab & ceiling is 8ft 3inch. The room is ot very symetrical hence the inconsistent approach to treatment in the 4 corners. The room is quite dead sounding as is due to all the stuff in there combined with the carpet floor.

The REW SPL plot shows a low end response ranging about 27dB from peak to trough. I presume the hole around 95hz and the peak around 140hz are due to the 8ft 3in ceiling?

The purple areas are my intended treatement areas & i wanted to start with the cloud which is thicker/larger than you normally see as i'm trying to tame that 95 - 150 hz problem with it. I was going to oversize it so it gave some Bass trapping in the front wall/ceiling corner.

Based on the Porous Absorption/GFR calculator - if i can build it 45cm thick with a 5cm air gap @ 3500 Pa.s/m2 it will have decent bass absorption (about 0.8 @ 80hz). So I'm trying to decide whether to go heavy on the cloud like this or whether it makes more sense to try and correct this bass issue more from the traditional corner trap positions. I will do those anyway but i'm thinking with the floor/ceiling boundary being the shortest parallel distance, i might be better off tackling it there but if it's a really inefficient use of materials pls set me straight.

So what do you think about this treatment layout generally?
Should i build the really thick cloud or go lighter there and heavier in the corners/side walls and/or rear cavities?

thanks for any assistance.
Attachments
top.jpg
side.jpg
side elevated.jpg
3 QTR.jpg
3 QTR 2.jpg
Home Studio Treatment Plan.skp
(4.62 MiB) Downloaded 256 times
Home Studio Treatment Plan.skp
(4.62 MiB) Downloaded 256 times
L and R at 75dB.mdat
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 258 times
L and R at 75dB.mdat
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 258 times

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Tue, 2022-Nov-29, 13:40

what is the SAF for this? if the SAF is not critical, then making a deep front absorption with the "windows" resized and positioned to create better symmetry may be useful. if not, then at least some floor-ceiling units between the windows will help. on the angle units - i'd probably make those into separate units - large corner units, and then smaller angled one. probably extend the width of the cloud a bit.

marbles

Postby marbles » Wed, 2022-Nov-30, 01:24

hi gullfo,

not sure what you mean by SAF - surface area factor ?!? but nothing much can be done with the front wall.. panels can go behind the speakers against the brick sections but windows are set as this is an existing room which i'm just trying to improve at the mix position.
Could try an attack wall concept i suppose but i thought they were more for portable/temporary situations.

I was going to start with the cloud as i've been told by a pro designer that it's most important in a low ceiling situation like this..
so is a thick cloud of about 50cm the way to go to tame the peak/null problems between 90 - 200 hz?
or should i just do a more conventional thickness of about 25cm and beef up the corners more so with thicker super chunk style bass traps?

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Wed, 2022-Nov-30, 12:59

"spousal approval factor" when changing up a living space it can become the main limiting factoring in achieving the desired acoustics.

i'm not suggesting an attack wall, but rather breaking up the spacing between the windows with additional absorption. depending on the response from an absorptive cloud, sometimes you need to add a hard backing to it to shift the modal response a bit. and in that case, you might also break the cloud into smaller sections so you can adjust their heights separately. e.g. the cloud over the speakers can usually drop 12" or more (clearing your video monitor of course). and if you need to go to hard backed clouds, angling can also assist.

marbles

Postby marbles » Fri, 2022-Dec-02, 21:31

ok thanks gullfo, so good ideas there re smaller sections and individual heights..
at this point i might as well build the cloud and take new measurements and see what happens.