New studio space sound treatment

All about acoustics. This is your new home if you already have a studio or other acoustic space, but it isn't working out for you, sounds bad, and you need to fix it...
insch

Postby insch » Sat, 2023-Jan-21, 15:48

I'd be very grateful for some studio treatment advice.

I have a new space, around 4 metres wide by 6 metres long and 2.50 high - see pix. My main setup is across one of the short ends. My work is in music, sound-design and film so there are different requirements for this space and it's a bit of a compromise. I have two screens which will fit together once I have wall-mounted my nearfield monitors - either side of the high window.

Treatment-wise, I have fitted bass traps on this end wall and will fit foam panels on the wall deirectly behind the monitors, once they are wall-mounted, and on their reflection point on the ceiling.

I am not really sure what to do on the side and back walls. I have a number of 30cm x 30cm foam panels, bass traps and 4 60cm x 60cm diffusor panels (see pix). I am just wondering how to use them to best advantage in this space. The floor is wooden and there are minimal soft furnishings. I am aware that the French doors are around a reflection point of the monitors. I will be mounting a curtain across the doors and there will be a blind on the vertical end window. I'll be putting some pictures on the side walls.

Right now the sound isn't bad in the space but sounds a bit bass light.

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks
IMG_4688 (1).jpeg
IMG_4687.jpeg
IMG_4689 (1).jpeg
IMG_4690 (1).jpeg
IMG_4692 (1).jpeg
IMG_4693 (1).jpeg

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sat, 2023-Jan-21, 22:21

a few thoughts: your symmetry may be off and have in the monitors slightly (it appears) behind the center monitor can cause HF issues, and the side angled monitor can also do some funny things to your mid frequencies. so i'd start with shift a bit to get more center between the walls and get your monitors at least even with the main screen - put them on something to decouple from the desk.
on the foam - no so great but its what you have - so making some of the square you've shown on the walls and ceiling to cut from reflections. put the bass ones in the corners. and find a heavy drape to cover the glass door - lose the hammock from that spot... between the absorption there and the angled monitor, you're not getting a good image on the stereo speakers.

insch

Postby insch » Sun, 2023-Jan-22, 15:02

gullfo wrote:Source of the post a few thoughts: your symmetry may be off and have in the monitors slightly (it appears) behind the center monitor can cause HF issues, and the side angled monitor can also do some funny things to your mid frequencies. so i'd start with shift a bit to get more center between the walls and get your monitors at least even with the main screen - put them on something to decouple from the desk.
on the foam - no so great but its what you have - so making some of the square you've shown on the walls and ceiling to cut from reflections. put the bass ones in the corners. and find a heavy drape to cover the glass door - lose the hammock from that spot... between the absorption there and the angled monitor, you're not getting a good image on the stereo speakers.

Thank you. That's really helpful. Once I have wallmounted my speakers (tomorrow) those screens will then butt together. I'll then put foam on the refection points of the speakers (ceiling and side walls) and add more bass traps. Heavy drapes will def. be added to the French doors. I am attached to my hammock there though - the view over the lake is inspirational - but I could take it down when mixing etc.

insch

Postby insch » Sat, 2023-Jan-28, 16:56

An update...

I wall mounted my Focal Shape 65's and voila, the bass came back. I've added some foam panels behind the speakers but haven't done any on the reflection points yet. The sound is pretty good at my desk, with clear and defined bass and a pretty good tonal balance. But when sitting on the sofa a few metres back from the wall it's a very different experience with a much less defined bass.

I'd like to keep a bit of a live sound in the back half of my studio if poss, where I have a piano and my guitar amp and guitars, but I'd also like half decent sound half way back on the sofa. Maybe once I have done the reflection points in the front half the sound will be more defined but I am guessing the bass might not tighten up have way back due to inadequate bass traps?

Any advice on finding reflection points on ceiling and side walls - using a mirror to see where the speakers show?

I can put my diffusers on the back wall.

Pix of my new developments.

Thank you
IMG_4710.jpg
IMG_4712.jpeg
IMG_4711.jpeg

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2023-Jan-29, 13:44

you could run a small subwoofer by the couch and set the necessary xovers, delays, etc needed for it to be timed correct and just enough to boost the low end.