Advise on what Rock/mineral/glass wool to choose for basstraps

All about acoustics. This is your new home if you already have a studio or other acoustic space, but it isn't working out for you, sounds bad, and you need to fix it...

Which insulation product would you choose for bass traps ?

Poll ended at Sun, 2020-Nov-29, 18:23

Knauf Ultracoustic-p
No votes
Fibran b030
100%
Fibran b040
No votes
Fibran b050
No votes

Total votes: 1

musictracer

Postby musictracer » Wed, 2021-Jun-09, 16:42

Ok, I have some good news I guess, as I finally managed to do what you (Stuart) proposed in the first place but couldn't accomplish till now. That is to get the desk across the balcony door (small dimension of the room). I can say I really feel it helped with reinforcing the lower part of the spectrum and thus became a little bit more even to my ears. Definitely preferable and more beneficial compared to the previous setup.
Still I struggle with a few things.

1----The 2khz - 4,5khz dip (hs5's) and 3khz - 7khz (klasiks) when L+R of each pair play respectively, which is absent when only L or R speakers play from each pair respectively.

2----The lack of bass which still occurs, despite the enhancement in the new setup, but I guess there is not much I can do about it in such a small room.

Probaby there are other matters as well , but these are the current ones that I can spot myself. Regarding the 1st mentioned above though, I suspect it is a comp filtering matter (please correct me if I am wrong) due to small size room, so I am currently planning to add more insulation to the room. A friend of mine who works as an acoustics consultant suggested to do so, while he also proposed to build a helmholtz resonator that would target the mids below 700hz to make the spectrum more even, but for the moment this is not something I can build as I luck the tools and time. So firstly I am thinking of simply adding more insulation. Looking for your thoughts,Stuart!!!
Hope you and everyone else are doing fine!!!
Attachments
HS5 balcony R + SUB.jpg
HS5 balcony  L + SUB.jpg
klasiks balcony R.jpg
klasiks balcony L.jpg
HS5 balcony L+R + SUB.jpg
klasiks balcony L+R.jpg

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Wed, 2021-Jun-09, 19:04

Andre (avare) is the master at this - or at least one of the masters! What he tends to say is that the ideal GFR (gas flow resistivity) of the insulation depends on a trap's depth. Andre recommends a minimum trap depth of 200mm and as traps get deeper so the ideal GFR lowers, up to a trap depth of 600mm, if I remember correctly, after which his recommendation changes and I cannot remember what he says, something along the lines of having a lower GFR at the front and higher GFR insulation towards the back of the trap.

musictracer

Postby musictracer » Sat, 2021-Jun-12, 06:50

Thanks for your reply, Starlight! :D
Andre (avare) is the master at this - or at least one of the masters!

Yes, Andre has been offering much help in forums, he is very experienced indeed! But I am not sure which issue you are referring to specifically. I can only guess, since you are mentioning "traps", that you are focusing on "no.2" - the lack of the lower part of the spectrum (?). Regardless, I would be glad if you could add a link or maybe quote his words, so we could all get his point of view, as it looks quite interesting.
Once again, thanks for contributing! :D

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Sat, 2021-Jun-12, 07:28

musictracer wrote:Source of the postI am not sure which issue you are referring to specifically.
I was referring to the topic title: Advise on what Rock/mineral/glass wool to choose for basstraps.
musictracer wrote:Source of the postI would be glad if you could add a link or maybe quote his words ...
Sorry, I don't keep a record of exactly where Andre has posted all his comments. Searching the Studio building / acoustics sub-forum over at gearspace.com would be the place to look.

musictracer

Postby musictracer » Sat, 2021-Jun-12, 14:29

Starlight wrote:Source of the post I was referring to the topic title: Advise on what Rock/mineral/glass wool to choose for basstraps.

OK, but this has been answered already in very good detail by Stuart months ago in the first page of the current topic. I have already purchased the insulation product and built the traps and ceiling cloud last year. I understand that you might got confused because the site exhibits the poll at the top of the 2nd page as well as the 1st one, so that might be confusing. ;)
I will look for your suggestions at the gearspace.com forum, many thanks! By the way I would like to say this, I liked it more as Gearslutz and not for the name, but because since the name changed several threads disappeared very suspiciously...

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Fri, 2021-Jun-25, 00:39

musictracer wrote:Source of the post Ok, after 7 months of silence I am back at last with new data.
You said that quit a while back, and now it's my turn to say the same thing! Well, almost.... you doubtless noticed that I've been absent from the forum for quite a while, due to health issues, but I'm back again now, and trying to get up to speed again: So let's see if we can help you get to where you want to be! Where are you at present in your build, and is there anything that you might need help with?

- Stuart -

musictracer

Postby musictracer » Mon, 2022-Jul-25, 16:29

Soundman2020 wrote:Source of the post You said that quit a while back, and now it's my turn to say the same thing! Well, almost.... you doubtless noticed that I've been absent from the forum for quite a while, due to health issues, but I'm back again now, and trying to get up to speed again: So let's see if we can help you get to where you want to be! Where are you at present in your build, and is there anything that you might need help with?

Hey there Stuart!
I know it's been a while, but I hope you have fully recovered from the health issues you mentioned in your last post . I hope you are doing fine know!! :)
I have decided to eventually move on with treating my room further, but I thought it would be better to create a new topic, as this one has derailed from the initial title, and people might get confused, so I created this one https://www.digistar.cl/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1110&p=5224#p5224.

Best regards, God Bless!! :)