IKEA BILLY Bookcases as DEEP Bass Trap Frames?

All about acoustics. This is your new home if you already have a studio or other acoustic space, but it isn't working out for you, sounds bad, and you need to fix it...
SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Sat, 2020-Jun-27, 10:45

Greetings,

Would IKEA BILLY cases make good frames for bass traps? Seeing that they are 11" deep (32" wide and nearly 80" high), it seems a logical corner-straddling approach. At 59 USD (for white, I think other finishes are 69 USD), the cost-effectiveness can't be beat.

The only concern would be whether the fixed middle shelf needs to be in there for stability of the frame. Methinks not, since the weight of the fill wouldn't even come close to the weight of the other adjustable shelves plus the weight of books.

Please don't hesitate to tell me that I'm completely crazy about even contemplating this idea.

All the best,

Paul

endorka

Postby endorka » Sat, 2020-Jun-27, 12:41

Anything that deep I'd prefer to fit flush into the room walls, which would call for diagonal sides.

But if you can live without that, I reckon your main problem will be structural stability. Not from missing middle shelves, but from the missing thinner back panel. From memory, that gets tacked into the horizontal and vertical components and is a major part in stopping it folding over into a parallelogram. You could probably address this with corner brackets or diagonal bracing in the corners.

On the other hand, if it's pushed right into the corner room walls, the walls will probably keep it upright enough, as long as you're careful moving it.

I think you'd be cheaper in the long run buying some wood and a saw, and you'll get exactly what you want.

Cheers,
Jennifer

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Sat, 2020-Jun-27, 14:52

Greetings Jennifer,

Thanks very much indeed. They changed the design quite awhile ago, so the back panel is simply that, a back panel. They are incredibly stable.

My plan was to freestand them spanning the corners with wires attached from the frame to the wall as "insurance." For shallower panels, I will certainly build them from scratch, but given the depth (not to mention that they're finished), I thought these seemed like a bargain.

Thanks again for your input.

All the best,

Paul

endorka

Postby endorka » Sat, 2020-Jun-27, 17:01

Nice one, it would certainly save a load of hassle for sure. I'd be very interested in seeing the results if you make any before and after measurements in REW.

Something you apparently have to watch out for if you stuff these with low density fluffy insulation is vertical compression of said insulation. Apparently it tends to settle and squash down over time. Replacing the middle shelf with a shelf made out of chicken wire or similar would split the insulation into two half height compartments that won't suffer so much from this.

Cheers,
Jennifer

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Sat, 2020-Jun-27, 18:18

I was thinking about the natural compression/sagging for LD that tall and your chicken wire idea to divide it into two sections would work well. I could also retain the fixed middle shelf and use my hole saw to perforate it with 2-inch holes. I was thinking of perforating the back panel and using it for more LD structure too. While I'm at it, I could perforate the side panels a bit too.

All the best,

Paul

endorka

Postby endorka » Sat, 2020-Jun-27, 18:54

Nice idea to perforate the side panels and mid shelf. When I'm trying out various combinations of things like that I usually do quick before and after tests with REW to see what the effect is.

The air gap behind these traps has a big role to play in their performance, so I'd be inclined to ditch the back panel completely.

Cheers,
Jennifer

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Sat, 2020-Jun-27, 19:40

Agree about the back panel. I simply forgot about making the most of the air space behind the trap.

I can't wait to be able to test these things, but as you know, I have quite a while to go yet. Demolition is 8-10 July.

All the best,

Paul

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Tue, 2020-Jun-30, 15:00

I'd be very interested in seeing the results if you make any before and after measurements in REW.
:thu: That would be great!

One thing about bass traps in general, in control rooms: then need to be as big, wide, thick, tall, and deep as possible.

Another thing: light-weight (low density) insulation is generally better than heavy (high density) insulation.

- Stuart -