Masurements after initial treatment, pls help me improve and fix issues!

All about acoustics. This is your new home if you already have a studio or other acoustic space, but it isn't working out for you, sounds bad, and you need to fix it...
jazztronaut

Postby jazztronaut » Wed, 2020-Oct-07, 23:40

Hi all just wanted to share with you the on going Acoustic Treatment for a small home studio space roughly 4.3m deep * 3.1m wide * 2.8m tall as you can see in the photos there is a false ceiling around the inner walls to accommodate duct work and lighting.

Speakers are 0.8m apart, sitting close to the front glazings and distance between tweeter and woofer measuring 1.15m off ground. I’ve tested a few settings and found this to be the best sounding with no treatment. Note, for the untreated measurements the the speakers and mic position were different, I made some amendments to speaker arrangements to avoid certain modes which seemed better.

As of now I’ve treated all corners with 600*600 polyester fibre wool columns / soffits - 30kg /m3 & based on various researched papers I’ve estimated it’s air flow resistance to be 2-3k Pa.S / sqm. Next phase would to treat the first reflection points side walls , ceiling and rear wall.

As you can see in the REW measurements there is an substantial improvement compared to the non treated room where everything is more smoothed out. From 20hz to 500hz there are still dips here and there but only 3db difference from 80db excluding 300hz area. Huge dip at 800hz and massive dip at 10-12khz, The room definitely sounds much better now compared to prior of treatment, the low end is much tighter, I’ve also noticed a very strong resonance in the high freq when I’m inside the room I assume it is the untreated ceilings.

Would appreciate it if Stuart & everyone else could provide some comments and feedbacks, perhaps pointing out major fallbacks and next steps and strategies.

Many thanks for your help!
Attachments
L and R Measurements_OCT8.mdat
(8.94 MiB) Downloaded 799 times
L and R Measurements_OCT8.mdat
(8.94 MiB) Downloaded 799 times
Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 10.30.16.png
Treated L & R vs L+R
20hz - 20khz.jpg
20hz 20khz before & after
20 - 500 hz.jpg
20hz -500hz before & after
speakers.jpg
Image looking at Speakers
room treated.jpg
Image of Treated room
Left Wall Section.jpg
Section Left Wall
section front.jpg
Section Front Wall
studio_plan.jpg
Studio Plan

ericwisgikl

Postby ericwisgikl » Thu, 2020-Oct-08, 01:44

Hi jazztronaut!

Your room seems to be healthy. The measurements show very good results IMHO. Decays look fine. There are some issues in the waterfall, but my bet is that there are electrical noise issues into the microphone or any part of the audio chain.

The huge dip around 10k is because you don't have your mic at exactly the same distance from each speaker. It's clearly showed in the impulse response graph.

There's also a dip at 800 hz give or take, which I think it's caused by desk reflections, but I'm not sure. I would have to pay a better look into the impulse response.

What else to do to improve even more your acoustics is something I'm not completely sure. But what I can tell you is that you seem to be in a good sounding room, with some room for improvement, but with not too many issues as it is now.

Let's see what do other members suggest!

Best regards,

Eric

jazztronaut

Postby jazztronaut » Thu, 2020-Oct-08, 06:10

ericwisgikl wrote:Hi jazztronaut!

Your room seems to be healthy. The measurements show very good results IMHO. Decays look fine. There are some issues in the waterfall, but my bet is that there are electrical noise issues into the microphone or any part of the audio chain.

The huge dip around 10k is because you don't have your mic at exactly the same distance from each speaker. It's clearly showed in the impulse response graph.

There's also a dip at 800 hz give or take, which I think it's caused by desk reflections, but I'm not sure. I would have to pay a better look into the impulse response.

What else to do to improve even more your acoustics is something I'm not completely sure. But what I can tell you is that you seem to be in a good sounding room, with some room for improvement, but with not too many issues as it is now.

Let's see what do other members suggest!

Best regards,

Eric

Hi Eric, thank you for your response. I'm happy to hear that the room does not have too much problems, I can also hear its much better compared to previous home studios I've had. I would like to improve it as much as possible.

Currently there are no treatment on the early reflection points, should I do something about that? Was planing to make 600 deep panels on the ceiling around the listening position. For the walls 300mm deep panels. Note there is a desk / equipment rack on the left wall does it make any sense to treat behind the furniture?

I've also attached a video where I've noticed a ringing flutter echo with strong resonance that seems to be coming from the ceiling, is that something I should be concerned about?

Appreciate it if anyone else could also chime in !
Attachments

[ Play Quicktime file ] IMG_2671.mov [ 6.31 MiB | Viewed 20686 times ]

ericwisgikl

Postby ericwisgikl » Thu, 2020-Oct-15, 11:43

Hi jazztronaut,

In order to see what first reflection points you need to treat, you could pay a look at your impulse response and apply the "string trick", described by Stuart in the following link: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=208&p=1373&#p1373

That way you could find that maybe you don't need treatment into some places you thought you needed, and you need where you didn't think you do.

In your measurements I can tell you there are some reflections from your desk. My bet is that they are guilty about your dips in the mid range. Then, near -20 db, there are some spikes, which are early reflections. Even they're 20 db quieter than direct sound, I'm sure they screw your response up in some degree.

Also, when you apply more treatment, you have to pay attention at your RT60 graphs, in order to remain balanced all over the spectrum, the most you can. If you end up over treated at some areas, you then have to think how to get some liveness back. Maybe with some slats over your current treatment, or with some plastic foil.

About those flutter echoes from your ceiling, first you have to figure out if they come from the interaction between floor and ceiling, or from the interaction between higher side little walls, which have no treatment at all at the moment. Then, some absorbers at the right spot will tame those flutters off.

Cheers,

Eric

jazztronaut

Postby jazztronaut » Sun, 2020-Nov-15, 07:14

ericwisgikl wrote:Hi jazztronaut,

In order to see what first reflection points you need to treat, you could pay a look at your impulse response and apply the "string trick", described by Stuart in the following link: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=208&p=1373&#p1373

That way you could find that maybe you don't need treatment into some places you thought you needed, and you need where you didn't think you do.

In your measurements I can tell you there are some reflections from your desk. My bet is that they are guilty about your dips in the mid range. Then, near -20 db, there are some spikes, which are early reflections. Even they're 20 db quieter than direct sound, I'm sure they screw your response up in some degree.

Also, when you apply more treatment, you have to pay attention at your RT60 graphs, in order to remain balanced all over the spectrum, the most you can. If you end up over treated at some areas, you then have to think how to get some liveness back. Maybe with some slats over your current treatment, or with some plastic foil.

About those flutter echoes from your ceiling, first you have to figure out if they come from the interaction between floor and ceiling, or from the interaction between higher side little walls, which have no treatment at all at the moment. Then, some absorbers at the right spot will tame those flutters off.

Cheers,

Eric

I have finally completed installing all the treatments this time it was ceiling clouds 1.2m*1.8m*0.6m + Rear wall and some side wall panels. I ended up covering everything with a thin plastic film as I noticed a lot of dust in the room. It was A LOT of work but turned out looking pretty good with the new fabric.

I did some initial measurements and wanted to get some opinions from you guys !

Based on the measurements the low end had improved but not a huge difference. The decay time have reduced quite a bit, but I do not notice the room sounding very dead. Should I try to liven it with 1D diffusors or perforated panels?

I noticed there is a huge dip at 1.5k not sure the reason which was not there in the last measurement. Could this be due to comb filtering?

I have attached the measurement files and some images for your reference. Would appreciate any help ! Not too sure what I'm looking at to be honest.

Many Thanks!
Attachments
3 measurements FR.jpg
FR_Comparing 3 measurements with different treatments
Treated Only Corner.jpg
EDT_No Cloud or Wall panel
No Cloud IR.jpg
IR_No Cloud or Wall panel
Current L+R.jpg
FR_Current
Treated Corner and walls.jpg
EDT_Current
Current IR.jpg
IR_Current
Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 6.02.36 pm.png
interior image rear wall panels
IMG_4110-1.JPG
interior image left side wall
IMG_4115-1.JPG
interior image front wall (wndows)
ceiling cloud.jpg
3d Model

ericwisgikl

Postby ericwisgikl » Sun, 2020-Nov-15, 21:46

Hi jazztronaut,

I don't see the .mdat file into the attachments.

Cheers,

Eric

jazztronaut

Postby jazztronaut » Sun, 2020-Nov-15, 22:43

ericwisgikl wrote:Hi jazztronaut,

I don't see the .mdat file into the attachments.

Cheers,

Eric

apologies, here it is ! :-)
Attachments
Left ETC Filtered Trends.jpg
filtered etc of the freq spectrum
Room Treated Nov15.mdat
mdat file of before and after measurements
(11.8 MiB) Downloaded 764 times
Room Treated Nov15.mdat
mdat file of before and after measurements
(11.8 MiB) Downloaded 764 times

ericwisgikl

Postby ericwisgikl » Tue, 2020-Nov-17, 14:39

Hi jazztronaut,

Looking at your measurements, I can tell that your low end shows some improvement. The new treatment helped tackling some modes. Also the low-mid range looks better.

About the dip around 1.5 khz, 3.5, and so on, it's comb filter. Perhaps due to reflections from your desk, I'm not shure. It's possible it was always there but masked by other issues. You could use the 'string trick' to figure out where those reflections come from.

Last thing I could say is that your RT60 now is into the dead ballpark. Maybe you could put some slats over your treatment, out from the reflection free zone, in order to live up your room a bit in mids and highs.

Cheers,

Eric

jazztronaut

Postby jazztronaut » Thu, 2020-Nov-26, 02:55

thank you appreciate it!