Is it possible to get decent results in a 4.3m(14.1ft) x 4.1m(13.5ft) x 2.5m(8ft) sized room?

All about acoustics. This is your new home if you already have a studio or other acoustic space, but it isn't working out for you, sounds bad, and you need to fix it...
AnilTM

Is it possible to get decent results in a 4.3m(14.1ft) x 4.1m(13.5ft) x 2.5m(8ft) sized room?

Postby AnilTM » Thu, 2020-Dec-10, 14:54

Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum. Happy to be here.
I unfortunately have to leave the house I live in and have my small home studio. My best option is a room that measures 4.30m(14.1ft) x 4.10m(13.5ft) x aprox 2.5m(8ft), Im not sure about the height its about 8-9ft.
I have 85cm(32inch) floor to ceiling monster bass traps (4pcs), 10cm(4inch) broadband absorbers for first reference points, ceiling cloud etc which I use with an air gap(5pcs) and 40cm(16inch) thick bass traps, that are 140cm(55inch) long by 65cm(25inches) placed against the back wall(3pcs)
I have all this in my current studio and will set them up in the new room. I plan to cover the entire back wall with 40cm(16inch) bass traps. What would be the best way to setup/treat this room?

AnilTM

Postby AnilTM » Thu, 2020-Dec-10, 15:17

Also I have read on another forum that building a fabric wall with insulation or a false wall using insulation and drywall to shorten one of the walls and thus it would no longer be a square. Would this be useful in my situation. I am quite confused as on that particular post it turned that the wall would have to be shortened by 7inches(this is not for my room) to get good results but shortening by 8 inches would give a bad room ratio. Please advise.
I plan to use Sonarworks Reference 4 if it’s worth it.

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Fri, 2021-Jun-25, 22:09

Hi there AnilTM, and welcome to the forum! :thu:
My best option is a room that measures 4.30m(14.1ft) x 4.10m(13.5ft) x aprox 2.5m(8ft), Im not sure about the height its about 8-9ft.
Small, but usable...

I have all this in my current studio and will set them up in the new room. I plan to cover the entire back wall with 40cm(16inch) bass traps. What would be the best way to setup/treat this room?
The normal method for small rooms is to have bass traps against the rear wall, straddling the rear corners on an angle, hang the cloud above the desk, and the broadband absorbers on the first reflection points, as you mentioned. The speakers should go up tight against the front wall, ideally with a thick absorber between them and the wall, and the mix position about 1/3 of the distance between the from wall and rear wall. Try to get it as symmetrical as possible, and use REW to confirm the best location (How to calibrate and use REW to test and tune your room acoustics).

Also I have read on another forum that building a fabric wall with insulation or a false wall using insulation and drywall to shorten one of the walls and thus it would no longer be a square. Would this be useful in my situation. I am quite confused as on that particular post it turned that the wall would have to be shortened by 7inches(this is not for my room) to get good results but shortening by 8 inches would give a bad room ratio.
I would not make your room any smaller: it is already small, and room volume in a small room is probably more important than a good ratio. Also, you ratio is not terrible: The room is not quite square, and is just enough different (4.1m x 4.3m) that it isn't too much of a problem, as long as you have good bass trapping, and lay out the room well.

- Stuart -