Sound-damping drywall screws?

Maybe you've heard of "Fake News"? The same happens in the world of acoustics! Here's a place for discussing acoustic myths, legends, mysteries, "questionable" treatment, scams, hoaxes, and just plain old bad information about acoustics, sound, and audio.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Sat, 2021-Jul-17, 18:31

Not so sure about this one yet... not enough data to go on, but it looks like it might do something.... maybe (with a heavy dose of "maybe"!):

https://www.akoustos.se/

A drywall screw with a built-in spring, that supposedly provides some measure of vibration damping.... (perhaps) :?:

Sound-damping-drywall-screws-skruven.jpg

I'd like to see some real data on it, from independent testing. In the link, there's part of a graph of some type that sort of shows something, but is unlabeled and incomplete, and also appears to show a wall resonance at 125 Hz., with decreased isolation... but there's no indication of how that wall was even built! (or who did the testing, in which lab.... or what was tested... They mention several labs, but provide no reports from any of them...)

Pity. There might be something useful there.. or maybe not!

Hmmmm..... :geek:

It's not even a product yet: they are looking for a manufacturer, and/or financing.

Paint me a very skeptical-but-hopeful shade of "wait-and-see"...

- Stuart -

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sat, 2021-Jul-17, 20:18

mmm i love the web site with all the crazy claims. me luv's some snake oil in the morning :mrgreen:

my concerns:
fake test results shown without actual references...
fire rating - burn thru reduces fire rating on the wall?
installers - getting it wrong... imagine rippling walls... or shorting out the whole walls isolation with one screw...
cost... $3 each... really... hmmmm screw budget now $5K...

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Sat, 2021-Jul-17, 21:33

gullfo wrote:Source of the post cost... $3 each... really... hmmmm screw budget now $5K...

With a price like that, GreenGlue is starting to look like downright cheap...
I'm also wondering if they will make different types of screw for different thicknesses of drywall, and "special" ones for the second layer...

Another thing I just noticed: the company owners have experience in structural mechanics and business adminstration, but no mention of acoustics.... Hmmm

- Stuart -