Feasibility of Isolating Studio Above Attached Garage

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2024-Sep-08, 13:09

the blue wall side - deeper batts space once you slide over the green wall towards the ERV, then open it like a closet. simply leaving it as a closed space won't really do much once you're past 12" of air anyways without a bunch of other things happening.

Elusive Sounds

Postby Elusive Sounds » Mon, 2024-Sep-09, 10:26

Ok let me see if I got this right. So you are suggestion moving the inner baffle box to inside the airspace between the blue and green walls like this, yes?
Baffles Opt 2-1.png
Baffles Opt 1.png

Then build a new soffit here where the flexible ducts enter the isolated space here, yes?
Baffles Opt 2 New Soffit 2.png
Baffles Opt2 New Soffit 1.png

Then fill the space around the duct, in the soffit, with FG Batts for bass trapping, yes?

In addition to that, build out a "closet" space which is inside the isolated space, inside the blue wall like this, yes?
Closet 2.png
Closet 1.png

Then this closet space would be filled with fluffy pink FG, for more LF trapping?

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Mon, 2024-Sep-09, 13:22

maybe i mis-understood - i thought the blue and green were the top plate of the walls, not the soffits. it looks like you have the green top plate for the wall and another for the soffit :-) if you're actually only talking about a given soffit space separating the two silencers units, then i'd just leave it as-is for the isolated room silencer and put the green soffit segment back over the soffit wall. technically you don't need the ERV room silencer since that room will be noisy from the ERV and with proper vertical straight walls, easier to add more mass.

Elusive Sounds

Postby Elusive Sounds » Fri, 2024-Sep-20, 11:24

Let me start over and try to clarify my questions with better drawings. This is a top view of my initial plan:
Top view.png
My first question was if I enlarged the space between the green and blue walls where the white line is in the above drawing, would the larger air gap act as a bass trap? This modification to that wall would only be done above the mezzanine, by moving the green wall out towards the ERV. Here are more detailed drawings of how I'd build that:
Green Wall Moved_1.png
Green wall moved_2.png
Green wall moved_3.png
Green wall moved_4.png
So by moving the green wall (above the mezzanine) out towards the ERV, all I've done is create a larger air gap between the blue inner wall and green outer wall. I have not really created a soffit here, unless my understanding of the term soffit is wrong ?...

The mass of the outer leaf (which now includes the ceiling of the existing construction below the mezzanine) would be consistent, in this case new 2x 5/8 DW over existing 1/2 DW for the wall below the mezzanine and the existing ceiling below the mezz, and new 2x 5/8 DW over new 3/4 PW where the wall has been moved outwards above the mezzanine.

So in this scenario I now have locations A, B and C in which I can place my inner and outer baffles:
Locations ABC.png
My first thought was to leave the baffles in A and C and completely fill B with pink FG for bass trapping, but I think you suggested that filling B with FG would not give me that benefit, and could cause other unspecified problems, do I understand that right?

I think you also suggested moving the inner baffle to location B, and then constructing a new soffit in location A, then fill this new soffit with FG and that would be the best way to add bass trapping:
A Soffit, B Baffle C Baffle.png
Is the soffit in position A what you were refering to as the "closet space"?