Spunbonded polyester landscaping fabric as a low-cost treatment dressing?

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
Greyhound

Postby Greyhound » Wed, 2021-Dec-29, 11:23

[NOTE: subsequent testing in my workshop showed that the product linked here *will* readily ignite if exposed to open flame]

Many if not most acoustic panel designs require a fabric dressing to constrain loose insulation and provide a more aesthetic look than bare insulation.

One option seems to be burlap (hessian) which is inexpensive ($0.11/sf CAD) but rather flammable. Also, the inexpensive burlap sold at local hardware outlets is meant for protecting plants in cold weather. It has a very loose weave and would not visually obscure insulation.

Speaker grill cloth passing UL 1492 102 Tablet Flammability Test is available locally in a variety of colours, but is rather expensive at $0.94/sf CAD. My understanding is that it's made of woven polyester and that any polyester will melt before it burns, and give off toxic fumes once it burns. It's thus not suitable for clothing firefighters, but is widely used in other applications. [Edit: I don't have the expertise to speculate about what a fabric will or won't do in a fire sitution]

I was wondering about the use of polyester landscaping fabric such as this: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/landmaster-spunbonded-polyester-6-x-100/1001318518. It does not look quite as nice as dyed speaker cloth, but it's ok and cheap at $0.11/sf CAD. I also happen to have a large quantity left over from building a shed with a green roof last summer. The material I have on hand is very easy to blow through, and the manufacturer describes the "spunbonded" polyester as being more air-permeable than their woven polyester products. I can not find a flammability rating for this product, which is intended for outdoor use.

I am very tempted to use the landscaping fabric I have on hand in the upcoming treatment of my room, but would be grateful for feedback from the experienced members of the forum. Are there any tests I can do to see if this material is too reflective? Are there guidelines on fire safety for room elements that are outside the scope of local building codes?

Greyhound

Postby Greyhound » Wed, 2021-Dec-29, 15:22

In response to the obvious question “have you tried burning it?” here is the answer:

4F7BA2C0-FEEB-4FEA-B03F-09265F8931F0.jpeg

After dropping a match on the fabric, the flame took readily and spread fast. The material was consumed quickly, without a lot of residue or heat. Personally I now have reservations about using this but can’t say I know how other common materials would fare in such a test.

I don’t smoke and wouldn’t consider the studio a fire risk zone, but also wouldn’t want to see a whole wall flash up in flames in the off chance someone brings a candle or incense.

Greyhound

Postby Greyhound » Wed, 2021-Dec-29, 15:23

Maybe I can use all the extra material for a suit?

EDAE19C8-1865-4E67-A1C5-807CF73E8866.png

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Wed, 2021-Dec-29, 15:52

To be honest, I would not use that stuff. I always recommend using fabric from Guilford of Maine ( https://www.guilfordofmaine.com ). They are not cheap at all, but they have an excellent variety of "breathable" fabrics suitable for use in studio acoustic panels... and I'm pretty sure they are flame-resistant!

For the issue you mentioned with open-weave fabrics letting light through: I always spec having a layer of cheap black fine-weave cloth behind the finish fabric for this purpose. It helps keep the fibers in place for some types insulation, it helps keep the insulation in place (helps prevent bulging in the finish fabric), and it stops light going both ways (in and out), so it helps to hide the "ugly stuff" inside your acoustic panels.

- Stuart -

Greyhound

Postby Greyhound » Wed, 2021-Dec-29, 15:58

Soundman2020 wrote:Source of the post To be honest, I would not use that stuff. I always recommend using fabric from Guilford of Maine ( https://www.guilfordofmaine.com ). They are not cheap at all, but they have an excellent variety of "breathable" fabrics suitable for use in studio acoustic panels... and I'm pretty sure they are flame-resistant!

For the issue you mentioned with open-weave fabrics letting light through: I always spec having a layer of cheap black fine-weave cloth behind the finish fabric for this purpose. It helps keep the fibers in place for some types insulation, it helps keep the insulation in place (helps prevent bulging in the finish fabric), and it stops light going both ways (in and out), so it helps to hide the "ugly stuff" inside your acoustic panels.

- Stuart -

Thanks Stuart, I had reservations but it sure would have been cheap.

Hopefully this exchange, and the demonstration of an informal flame test, will be of interest someone considering such options in the future.

It seems much more likely that a fabric marketed for draperies or architectural acoustics will have suitable fire properties, although it still wouldn't hurt to know what "official" certifications are relevant.