Up All Nite Studio - 2022 [Control Room]

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Jun-05, 00:58

If I was to say that a lot has happened since I last posted at the JS Forum would be an understatement.

Tonite I found 'SoundMan' site, which was very reassuring. On site, I saw very familiar names ... especially those that were pivotal
in my first Design and Build.

I'll try not to bore or depress what has happened since then, accept the new life challenge, and get, yet again, a new working 'Control Room'
that I can work in.

Since I didn't expect a new Studio Design Forum since the passing Of John Sayer [RIP] ... I just glad to have Registered and Logged in.

I'll have drawings to post [using SketchUP 2019 - if that is acceptable], and what I look to accomplish with the limited option I have to work with.

I should note, there is not a single person in my immediate that I can even discuss Control Room designs, or really any details regarding Audio Engineering [specifically Mastering].

I know there are several other Forums where this Topic can be voiced ... but none were at the quality level of JS Forum ... and I have every
confidence that SoundMan [and the Experts I recognize here] will carry with that tradition.

Tonite I would like to have this 1st post as a Reserve my Place marker. I will then follow up with what details I have to this point.

I thought I'd be flying alone with this latest design implementation ... and as mentioned, I do have limits to what can be done ... but it
would be so welcomed to have 'Expert Eyes' looking over my shoulder !

until next post.

Sincerely,

RJHollins [Up All Nite Studio]

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2022-Jun-05, 11:10

Hey RJ - welcome.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Jun-05, 15:19

The Main Man ... good to see you here. I hope all is well with You.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Jun-05, 16:10

As I clean up my Sketchup File ... I thought I'd post a, hopefully, brief outline of whats happened, and what I need to do.

My original Control Room [designed by Gullfo] was something quite special. Even with the limits of the space, the sound was amazing.

Though I only got to work in it for a short time, due to my Dad becoming ill [dementia] ... the way things work out is that we had to sell the house, and get my Mom into a new house [and car]. [Insurance reasons].

The house sold in 3 days, and was bought by a couple ... the girl plays Timpani in the Orchestra. So ... building this Control Room was a dream for her. I always thought that the Room would have made an excellent Theater Room for anyone.
A side benefit was that I was able to reinforce the entire upstairs in the process with this build.

We moved to the new house. As it happened, Dad passed shortly after the move. That left me talking care of Ma.

We had a large, finished basement where I was able to make a working area, using the original acoustic treatment from the first build.

Once my brain started to settle, I was able to make this Temp design into a more solid layout. There was no attempt to soundproof, as the expense would have been massive.

About 2 years ago [prior to the Pandemic], I got hit with Vertigo. It took many, many months before I was able to find help. Finally found a facility that could do a 'crystal re-alignment], and after a couple of weeks ... the World stabilized.

The Pandemic hit ... and everything shut down. No Gigs, no Jobs ... everyone isolated. [forced me to take my Retirement].

One day, Ma was not feeling to well, but still wanted to go to Church ... unfortunately, she had a terrible fall, hitting her head. Everything was a struggle for her afterwards. A little over a year later, she had a massive stroke and passed.

Couple months after, I get hit with a second round of Vertigo ... different than the first time ... just as debilitating. Add to that, I was having heart fluttering which turned out to be a-fib. Had the ablation done in Oct ... lots of strong meds ... and then was able to see doctors about this new kinda vertigo.

Nothing seemed to be helping, so finally got a Doc to get some testing done, and a MRI.

Last week, this 3rd Phys Therapist seems to have identified the issue, and it seems to have helped. I'm still tentative about all this as one innocent move before could start it all over. I'm back to see him this Monday ... and doing all the special exercises at home. This includes trying to cut back on any salt intake [which I never add], and drinking a lot of water [which also seems to have helped].

The treatment at therapy is rather violent, as they throw you around the room a half dozen times. The neck really takes a pounding afterwards ... so Tylenol and Mineral Ice are called in.

Alright ... enough of all that !

As we roll with the 'Punches of Life', I'm looking at relocating the Control Room to the Main floor. I have an Office/Den room that is centrally located, and is an area I can easily work from.

It is a small room, roughly 9'x12' with 9' ceiling. There will be no attempt at sound-proofing, as I live alone, and if I have overnite visitors, I have been working in ... need I say .... HEADPHONES. Yep ... something that I once despised ! Mainly because absolutely nothing I did in them would translate to anything in the rest of the world ... it was just horrible.

However, I have been using the Slate VSX headphone system, and after much listening/study I have been quite surprise at the translation ... and I've not had a single complaint from Clients. Any changes that have been requested have been able to make to their satisfaction.

Thing is ... I hate working in phones. I like my main monitors, as well as my ole Auratones and NS-10s [yes ... even for Mastering].

And that is why I want the new room. I will use the VSX headphone system for additional finetuning, as my confidence has had time to solidify with them ... but I also want to work with Monitors.

Will this room be ideal ... nope ... But I'm also getting to old to play around or waste time ... or running up and down stairways 50 times a day.

So ... it will be to make this room work. [and try to make it look good]. I have all the acoustic treatment materials available ... all in excellent condition.

I also built 2 Tube Traps [4' x 12"d], as an experiment ... one side absorb, the other diffuse. I'm surprised how effective they work.

Anyway ... enough yappin' for now ... I'll post some drawings and photos, and how I see doing this layout.

Hopefully, with some 'Experts' looking over my shoulder to guide me ! Thank-you.

Sincerely,

RJHollins [Up All Nite Studio]

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Jun-05, 18:03

OK ... let's get the room floor plan posted:
2022 - DEN CntrlRoom-1c-1.jpg

This be the room: 9'-1.5" x 12' [long side], with 9' ceiling height.

let's see how this posts.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Jun-05, 18:04

ok ... that worked. :D

Now a 3d view to show better:
2022 - DEN CntrlRoom-1c-2.jpg

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Jun-05, 18:08

Initial treatment idea with Desk position.
2020 - DEN CntrlRoom-1c-3.jpg

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Jun-05, 18:10

adding 3 pairs of Monitors
2020 - DEN CntrlRoom-1c-4.jpg

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Jun-05, 18:11

Remove Desk for clearer view.
2020 - DEN CntrlRoom-1c-5.jpg

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Jun-05, 18:14

A little more overview of the house inside.
2020 - DEN CntrlRoom-1c-6.jpg

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Mon, 2022-Jun-06, 19:57

So here's a first question ...

Given the above layout/size dimensions ... what would be considered the 38% start guide distance ?

There is a short wall at ~ 9', the room goes back 12' ... and with the doors open [normally], this adds 7 feet.

hmmmm ...

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Tue, 2022-Jun-07, 12:24

i'd almost suggest why not convert the larger (assuming) living room? if you're living along, we could make it as your mix space and tv space - depending of course if the LR is larger and the windows / doors etc are conducive for this.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Tue, 2022-Jun-07, 16:46

gullfo wrote:Source of the post i'd almost suggest why not convert the larger (assuming) living room? if you're living along, we could make it as your mix space and tv space - depending of course if the LR is larger and the windows / doors etc are conducive for this.

Hi gullfo,

How I wish that possible. The CntrlRoom I have downstairs is 16' x 22' . Very open design, with lots of treatment.
Not perfect by any means, ... did have to run some software Room correction [at about 8-10%].

As for the living situation, I've an arrangement with family members to take over the Estate ... but maintain the ability to have visitors staying with me [which I'm fine with] ... while keeping a 'normal' home layout.

This puts me back to this small office area. There are double French doors that can close the room from view when needed.
Less than Ideal is an understatement :|

The only reasonable goal that I can see with this, is to have decent Playback for the few times I have Clients attend ... which hasn't been often [most work comes in via Internet]. And to also allow me to do some work withOUT headphones.

All fine tuning will be through Phones. Especially the low end. And it has been something the accuracy of translation has been with them.
Something that I never do before ... nor ever wanted too. [just amazing technology].

I know, Glenn ... it kinda sucks :roll: :| At my age, I have to be thankful that, according to Clients, I still have a decent pair of ears to go
with a wide taste in Music ... I just don't have assurance that this Vertigo will ever be totally cured. Beside the imbalance, there is also an exhaustion that happens, where I can only go for 10-15 minutes. Adding the stairs climb just adds to it. [9 foot ceiling downstairs]. this doesn't happen all the time, fortunately.

This new Physical Therapy seems to be helping ... I'm worn out and sore afterwards [nothing Mineral ICE, Tylonal, and a bottle of whiskey can't fix ---- ha, wish I had a bottle :lol: ] I go twice a week ... for how ever long [couple months ?].

There is good News ... they seem to be ruling out Ménière's disease. They say I have a floating calcium crystal ... and at least one that is stuck. Still, I'm monitoring salt intake, and drinking more water than ever before ...

That's all I know :|

Anyway, I'll probably turn the finished basement area into a small Jam room to play with my musician friends [I've drum set, bass rig, and keyboards already].

As for this new room, I hope I can get enough treatment in there without totally killing the room ... but maybe that will be the only way.
As always, any advice/guidance is more than welcomed, as I hope to turn a tough situation into something good.

Thanks !

Sincerely,

RJHollins [Up All Nite]

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Tue, 2022-Jun-07, 22:07

Just to mention ... when I'll be using Monitors, the double doors will be open ... that'll put the at sides length
at 12+7= 19 feet.

It's that unfortunate shorter wall ... that back wall corner will get trapped.

I'm not seeing any other way to layout this Room.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Wed, 2022-Jun-08, 10:00

Alright ... This was/is my ORIGINAL PLAN for the new Room upstairs.

It is the Master Bedroom w/Sitting area.

This is a more open space. There are some advantages/disadvantages [could apply to life in general].

Disadvantage: It is the Bedroom area.

Advantage: It is basically separate from the rest of the house with closing the door.

2. The 'open area' facing the back window, has a view of a pasture Paradise ... complete with a couple of horses 8-)

The drawing is not perfect to scale ... but close [will fix].

3. Might the Bed serve some acoustic purpose ... beyond the few hours I get to actually use it :shock:

Here are a few drawing shots:
Overall Floor plan-1.jpg

Overall Floor plan-2.jpg

Master Bedroom-1.jpg

ControlRoom area-1.jpg

I was initially talked out of using this area [by people that have no clue about Studios .... but they like music].

As for the Den ... I would prefer that to be my Office. A regular Office that I can do just normal Office things [no more at the kitchen-
dining room table].

2. This Den would also better serve when family visit. They would have an Office area to do their work while here.

I'm writing this here to help organize my thoughts, 'cause I need to clear this with the Estate.

Any thought/comments ? Thank-you.