Up All Nite Studio - 2022 [Control Room]

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
gullfo

Postby gullfo » Thu, 2022-Sep-22, 12:14

if you have the head room, you can hang it down lower. another option is to swap it out for a track light and place that to sit between the cloud edges (i know someone suggested in GS to abut them, but leaving gaps is useful for increasing available edge absorption) and then having more flexible light options.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Thu, 2022-Sep-22, 12:36

gullfo wrote:Source of the post if you have the head room, you can hang it down lower. another option is to swap it out for a track light and place that to sit between the cloud edges (i know someone suggested in GS to abut them, but leaving gaps is useful for increasing available edge absorption) and then having more flexible light options.

Thanks gullfo.

I do have the headroom ... so I'll planned to do that.

As for spacing ... I designed the Clouds specifically to have 'open' edges all around and over ... so I'll stay with your 6" spacing.

Last nite I brought a Scale down to measure the weight of the Cloud ... approx 25 lbs each. [making sure my Chain purchase is correct].

Thanks for the clarifications !

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Fri, 2022-Sep-23, 21:10

Hi Gullfo,

Maybe you can help me better understand ...

What is the 'impact' of the distance the Clouds are off the ceiling ??

I've purchased Chains and Eyebolts, washers and nuts in preparation ... but I'm thinking of having additional length on these chains,
just in case I might need to lower them [or raise them] more, ... with minimal effort.

What I'm not clear of, is the absorption effect that hanging distance has.

BTW the Clouds are roughly 9" deep [2'x4']

Thanks for any insights !

RJH

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sat, 2022-Sep-24, 14:18

in this case, they're "soft" clouds, so the distance off the ceiling is akin to the A/E mounting results for any porous absorber. that said, with 8" deep absorbers, you're likely not going to need to hang them down from the ceiling (although the front one i would still recommend it as long as it doesn't interfere with speakers and operations there). however, if later you need to enhance those clouds to include a hard back to shift things, then the chain and positioning options become more important.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sat, 2022-Sep-24, 15:00

Ah ... ok .... Thanks Glenn.

Makes sense that the same concept is like the side wall absorbers ... they to are mounted off the wall at the thickness distance.

Actually, I do like the look of them suspended off the ceiling [have the height] ... but now I know that the chain lengths are better defined. If anything, I can 'chain up' to shorten the distance. That helps in planning.

This morning my Brother stopped by to inspect my work, and look at the next install step.

I was able to track down a photo of the house in construction to show the direction and spacing of the ceiling trusses.
not the best photos ... the Control Room is on the left side in the pix
IMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

Nothing to really show, except the direction ... which is exactly what we hoped for ... yeah !

Later today, going to the Depot to pick up 2 1x3x10' runners ... and get them primed and painted.

Looking to install this upcoming week.

Thanks again !
RJH

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sat, 2022-Sep-24, 23:46

I think I bought the last 2, straight 1x3x10' boards :shock: Got them from Home Depot ... Lowe's had nothing.

Need to sand them up a bit ... and then decide ... do I paint them white like the ceiling ... or do the Burgundy stain like the clouds ?!? :?

Leaning more to making those 2 runners disappear into the ceiling .... rather than draw attention. Small point I know :roll:

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2022-Sep-25, 13:06

another option is plywood 3/4" (20mm) plywood sheets spanning the joists can enable a lot of flexibility in placement of treatments, lights, etc. or the 1x3 runners as well... :-)

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Mon, 2022-Sep-26, 23:19

update:

1x3x10' runner boards have been sanded, primed, and now have 1st coat of ceiling white paint ... drying in the garage.

Not sure if 2nd coat needed ... we'll see.

Today, returned to Lowe's to buy the paint, roller and stuff ...

One thing I noticed last night were some of the S-Hooks didn't look as others. The S part looked shorter than another package I had :?

I didn't like that, so while at Lowe's, I went through the Hillman section, and sure enough .... not all S-Hooks are the same [regardless of model#].

I found 7 packages [4 per] that looked longer on the S part. It was the last 7 they had :mrgreen:

Also ... picked up a tube of LockTite. The nut going on the Eyebolt is going to get a dab of this permanent lock. The chances of them loosening is probably slight .... but now it will be zero chance. I know ... crazy.

Tomorrow will paint the underside of the runners ... because the side that doesn't get paint is the one that'll get exposed because of slight warp or finish ... whatever. So it's all getting paint ! :P

That's about all for now.

Until later.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Tue, 2022-Sep-27, 23:53

update:

Alrighty then ... Runners have been painted and dried.

Put together a design layout with measurements to be sure I'm prepping these boards correct.

I want to have all the Eye-hook hardware in place before attaching to the ceiling.

SketchUP is so handy ... here's the pic.
2022 - RJH - DEN CntrlRoom-Cloud Layout-1.png

Will start drilling and assemble tomorrow.

note: My actual dimensions are slightly different than the Room Design you sent me Gullfo ... so some slight adjustments to the front wall distance. The Top of that Runner board is going up against the Front wall ... make it as 'easy' as possible to lineup and install .... hoping.

I can maintain the 6" separation between the Clouds.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Wed, 2022-Sep-28, 03:36

update 2

Tonite decided to get all the Chain lengths and hooks put together.

The Mid and Back Clouds will be hung ~ 8" off the ceiling.
The Front Cloud will be ~ 12" from the ceiling ... this will allow the front Cloud to hang about 4" lower.
Clouds are 9-1/2" deep.

Then I did an experiment with the Hooks.

Using a scrap piece of 1x3" ... used a 1/4" drill bit to set the hole.

From underneath, I used a 5/8" wood bit to cut a level 'countersink' deep enough to handle the washer and nut.
The Hooks are 2"

Here's a pic of what I plan ...

The Hook has a 'nut' standoff to keep the hook bolt within the depth of the 1x3 ... which is actually 3/4"
IMG_2587.jpg

Underneath are the washer and nut, sunk below the surface.
IMG_2588.jpg

Chains tested because .... they were right there :)
IMG_2589.jpg

On the underside, I'll use a drop of Lock Tite to secure the nut and bolt.

That's the plan as it stands for now.

Next will be prepping the Runners this way.

Progress .... slowly ... but still some progress :)

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Wed, 2022-Sep-28, 15:16

Hi Glenn ...

Hope everyone safe in Panama City Beach !

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Thu, 2022-Sep-29, 02:29

update:

Tonite was 'Runner nite'.

Measured out where each Eyebolt goes ... drilled, countersunk, and installed all hooks.

Chains .... a slight change of length. The Front Cloud will now suspend 12" down from ceiling. The Mid/Back Clouds are 8" down.
This is closer to the 'spec' that Gullfo originally designed. [I yield to the Expert].

I took a couple pictures ... but for whatever reason, they have not yet uploaded to the Cloud.
Will post when they do.

That's about all for tonite.

We are looking at possibly this weekend to get Clouds installed.

RJH

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Thu, 2022-Sep-29, 13:49

PCB wasn't hit at all. in fact the weather was excellent. Tampa and south got hit, and mid-FL got it really bad. but the power company and governor had their act together to people should have things turned around in the not too distant future.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Thu, 2022-Sep-29, 14:03

gullfo wrote:Source of the post PCB wasn't hit at all. in fact the weather was excellent. Tampa and south got hit, and mid-FL got it really bad. but the power company and governor had their act together to people should have things turned around in the not too distant future.

Good to hear.

Wish we had a Gov like FLA here.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Thu, 2022-Sep-29, 21:45

pix update:

For some reason the photo Cloud is not updating these latest ... so manual got them to post.

Here's a pix of the 2 Runners with installed Eyebolts, temp Chains and such
6D3431CF-99DD-4398-8DA2-EAA05BDEB823.JPG

Hope to install over the weekend.