Up All Nite Studio - 2022 [Control Room]

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Fri, 2022-Oct-14, 21:02

UPDATE:

So ... for that back, upper left side treatment, I want to extend the current absorber with an addition, 2' x 2' x 6" panel.

I went with a different design than I used to build all my other panels [frames built from aluminum drywall, corner molding].
This time, because of the 1/2 size, I went with 1"x2" pine, using the aluminum molding for the standoffs.

To match the other panels, I also went with the same fabric I used before [had some extra in storage].
But it also meant that I had to change up the build.

Because the back of the panel would be exposed [to the wall], I used that 'landscaping fabric' to cover the inside back [prevent any fiber escape], and still allow me access to the back frame for stapling and installing chain and wall standoffs.

For the fabric, I had to dig out my old ironing board and iron
IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

Glad the iron surface was clean .... and that it still worked !

Once ironed out, I needed to add some protective tape around all the corners of the panel to prevent snagging on the corner.
IMG_2635.jpg

For the front side, I added an underlayment of 1/2" batten material to fill out the 1x2 and also prevent fiber leak.
With the fabric wrapped and stapled, I screwed/glued some offset pieces. I added some soft rubber 'bumpers' to minimize messing the walls and possible vibration [seemed a good idea].

Chain mounts were put on. I temp used the wall hook to set the mount distance and chain length ... and to also determine where the hook will be to the desired hanging distance. I'm going to center it between the current panel and the ceiling [roughly a 3 ft area], so I figure a 6" spacing will work good.

before cleaning up the back ... which no one will ever see ....
IMG_2637.jpg

This be the panel
IMG_2638.jpg

As shown, I'm going to use a picture frame mount that can hold 100 lbs ... way more than the panel [which is just a few lbs], but I want to make it as easy to clip the chain on ... so ....

that's that ...

The other panel for above the French doors is ready. I have about 4 different methods/ways to use installing up in the ceiling [plastic anchors, butterfly bolts, screw-in hooks or eyebolts.
The panel weights roughly 5-7 lbs ... I think the anchor method will be plenty to handle that.
I just want it as simple, straightforward .... and quick for when I can peel my Brother away to install. [If I could do it ... I wouldn't bother ... but I'm still not fixed :cen: ]

That's about it for the Room stuff ...

I also had a Producer Client over the other day, and brought me another album of material for Mastering.
I know I need to re-shoot the Room, and get a new correction filter ... but I also know how to use my References to 'learn the room'.
I can, at the least, start on the Project. I still have the VSX headphone system available, which has proven to be quite reliable [translation wise] .... I still do not like working in headphones, but now I can use them to double check things.

That's all the News that's fit to print for now :mrgreen:

Thank-you

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sat, 2022-Oct-15, 13:31

nice ironing job there! :-)

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sat, 2022-Oct-15, 22:25

UPDATE:

I don't know why I waited so long ... they had a SALE today ... had to do it :shock:
IMG_2643.jpg

After hurting myself with the portable, hand drill stand I'd been using .... I was on the look out for a decent Drill Press. Nothing crazy, elaborate ...
They had a sale today over at Harbor Freight, one was a small, 'portable', drill press.

I don't do a lot of drilling ... but when I do, it is sometimes through wider pieces of board, and it needs to be straight and accurate.
So for $75, I got this one. It's not bad ... actually quite decent. Did a great job on the first things I used it on.
I've no idea how many more 'projects' I'll be doing ... but if one needs a drill press ... got it :mrgreen:

Tonite I was working on converting a 'cloud hung' panel, to a vertical hang. Some might think that would be relatively easy, straight forward.

nope.

After several attempts failed ... rather badly ... I had a new idea jump at me.

So I built an inner frame, that attaches to the, already installed, eyehooks. [a drawback to the aluminum cage design ... mounting needs to be designed in from the beginning. Anyway ...

This is what I have going:
IMG_2644.jpg

This inner frame is attach to the eyebolts
IMG_2645.jpg

I'm still working out the best distance from the top to mount the chain and connections ... looks to be 12" down from the top, with a 6" loop to make it easy to draw it outward to hang on a picture hook. [the wood added some weight ... but still not bad].

You do not want to know about the 'suspension' mounting system I was also contemplating prior. [.... ahh ...the dangers of watching the History Channel ... Building Marvels] :ahh:

As to the Schedule ... we may have a possible GO for tomorrow .... or it may be Tuesday to hang 2 pieces for the Control Room.

I can hang the 2 panels in the hallway [which the temp placement is quite effective ... surprised].

That's about it ... if I get my 4th wind, I'll see what more I can get to.

Until later ...
RJH

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Oct-16, 02:45

Quick Update:

Finished up the panels for the hallway.

The mounting design worked great [yeah].

As for the 'look' ... well, I hope it will be OK ... the panel colors are similar to the wall color.

Here's a quick pix [excuse the mess :oops: ]
IMG_2646.jpg

Not going to do anymore out in that area ... the 2 panels do help in 'drying' it up, though.

until later,
RJH

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Mon, 2022-Oct-17, 12:39

coolio! yeah, i generally recommend thinner treatments in hallways (ceilings are often good) to just reduce overall reverberations and slap echoes. you never know when you need to use them for something else or just want to have a bit more "quiet".

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Tue, 2022-Oct-18, 17:02

UPDATE:

The 2 pieces of the equation were installed this afternoon.

It went rather smoothly too :D

First up was an added absorber on the upper, back wall [left side]. It is the 'short wall' of the room.
IMG_2651.jpg

Then, it was to the corner area above the doors.

IMG_2652.jpg

Haven't had much time yet to listen ... but walking about, talking, snapping fingers ... wow ... again, a rather dramatic
improvement. Tightened up that portion of the room ... and cleared up some of the 'blurriness'.

Across the main listening area, everything feels/sounds very balanced, controlled, consistent ... and natural.

Honestly ... I had no idea that this level could be achieved given the room size and layout. Amazing Gullfo 8-)

As I sit here looking around the room, there are 2 spaces on the sides of the room [at the ceiling] that are 'open'.
There are 3 - 2'x4' panels on each side wall already ...

At this point ... I'm not sure if I want [or need] to put anything there. My concern, as mentioned, I don't want to overkill the sound
in the room .... and with the doors always open, I want it to leave the room.

In fact ... walking around the rest of the house with a Track playing gives another perspective, and great insight 8-)
[no real surprises.]

Listening ... I've been using v3 of the IR correction filter that was made for me. I contacted my Friend to let him know the current status
of the room ... and to make plans for re-shooting. So that'll be happening soon.

That's about it for now ... looking up at the ceiling threw me into a vertigo episode ... and has made me quite tired.

Will report back later.
Thanks
RJH

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Wed, 2022-Oct-19, 13:59

very good! and stay well!

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Oct-23, 03:23

Thanks Gullfo.

I've been in 'listen mode' for the past few days. [still using the 'old' calibration file at times]

Also going through a few Tracks and some new plugins that have been recently added.

Coming up [soon] will be re-shooting the room.

Which brings up a question ...

The last time I shot, I had used the built in Mid-Freq Gain switch to CUT 2dB from the output.

Since I'm having a new custom IR Filter made [from REW], I'm debating if I should first set that Mid cut switch back to neutral [basically flat monitor], and
let the Filter do the 'correction'.

I guess it comes down to, how much should the Filter be doing correction wise ?

Any insights to share ?

Thanks
RJH

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2022-Oct-23, 14:22

try both - one or the other. if you're doing a detailed filtering - i'd reset the mid setting.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Mon, 2022-Oct-24, 01:37

gullfo wrote:Source of the post try both - one or the other. if you're doing a detailed filtering - i'd reset the mid setting.

Hi Gullfo,

I looked at the current correction IR ... he did a very detailed filter. What was a surprise ... how 'natural' it sounds.
Soundworks correction never sounded this good. [at least I got a calibration file for the Mic !

OK ... I'll do the 'flat' setting on the Monitor itself. I won't easily be able to A/B it with the current setting ... but, I guess I have to
still learn to let things go :geek: :lol: :horse:

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Wed, 2022-Oct-26, 23:02

UPDATE:

Earlier this evening I was able to re-shoot the Room with all the treatment installed [to this point at least].

As recommended, I returned the Monitors to their 'flat' setting [which I had previously a -2dB MID cut].

One monitor at a time at 80dB SPL ... 3 times each side.

I'm attaching the REW file for observation, review, critique and comments.

I confess my limited knowledge/experience in reading/understanding what the REW measurements yield ... so :?
Thanks for any insights provided.
Oct 26 2022 Den CntrlRm 80spl [3x]-1.mdat
(11.82 MiB) Downloaded 203 times
Oct 26 2022 Den CntrlRm 80spl [3x]-1.mdat
(11.82 MiB) Downloaded 203 times

RJH

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sat, 2022-Oct-29, 19:17

That bad ... :ahh: :|

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2022-Oct-30, 02:11

sorry, haven't had the chance to look at it yet

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Oct-30, 06:03

gullfo wrote:Source of the post sorry, haven't had the chance to look at it yet

Totally understand gullfo !

Well, tonite was an interesting one.

Did a Phone conversation with the Correction Filter Designer.

He had been updating the Filter based on Feedback I sent ... but then went much further.

Using Windows 'Assist' , He went through the REW configuration, and did all kinds of processing.
Generating a split, Minimum-Phase and Linear Phase 'correction measurement' that was then fed into a IR creator.

It was amazing to watch.

Then He set me up with a special 'system-wide' playback so that the created Filter could be auditioned and re-measured in REW.

The output response had a +/-2.5dB variation.

Afterwards ... I was playing a bunch of Reference Tracks through the new Filter.

First impression ........ WOW.

Gonna live and listen through this correction for a bit of time.

This is the first time I heard a 'correction' that didn't sound like an artificial simulation or something.
I know I'm tired, but the Ref Tracks sound like they're supposed to !

I've got to get some sleep, but I start tomorrow with fresh ears ... playing Music ! :yahoo:

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2022-Oct-30, 13:17

coolio. i was going to add - did you shoot the REW with the doors open or closed? if they were open it would likely account for the energy loss in 146-167 range. one thing to note - the side-to-side L and R monitors are fairly consistent. so the symmetry is decent. the scan you shared was +/- 4.5db (decent) so getting to 2.5db is excellent!