Up All Nite Studio - 2022 [Control Room]

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
gullfo

Postby gullfo » Fri, 2022-Sep-30, 12:09

nice!

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Mon, 2022-Oct-03, 22:16

well ... weekend past ... the hanging of the Clouds was not able to make the schedule. Will likely be day-to-day waiting :|

Meantime .... it was clean up the workroom. Re-organize a few things ... so that was good.

I also made a change to the S-hooks that attach to the ceiling runner hooks ... went with a slightly larger S that will be even easier
to hook.

2. Also looking at a few 'extra' broadband panels I have doing nothing.

One is 2'x4'x4" .... this was previously hung on the back of the Studio Door at my original build.

I also have 3 2'x4'x2" panels ... thinking about laying these up on the side walls at the ceiling corner

and more also ...

I have a dozen or more triangle cuts of rigid Knauf ... thinking of some ideas to make some smaller corner piece treatment.

When I'm sitting down, I don't directly hear much of reflections bouncing around ... but when I stand and finger snap/clap high up ... it is
still lively with nothing there.

I do prefer to wait till these Clouds first go up and hear their impact .... nonetheless, thinking ahead.

Musically ... I have a Live performance sent me for Restoration/Mastering. Knowing that I still have room issues to address ... I do
like what I'm hearing from the multiple monitors. It has been quite easy to hear and fix issues.
It does get a little tricky on the low sub stuff ... but when I step out of the room ... it's easy to recognize. [plus ... I've listen to lots of References since starting this Room].

The 'soundstage' is rather detailed with nice spanse and depth ... one of my Refs is an older Diana Krall recording, the 'Girl In The Other Room', a track called Temptation. The Standup Bass, Piano and Drums are big and gorgeous .... and when She sings ... she's right in front .... intimate.

As I prefer a 'dryer' room .... I can't wait to hear with the Clouds installed.

Let's see what tomorrow brings ...

RJH

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Wed, 2022-Oct-05, 22:47

UPDATE:

Important step accomplished today ... we got the Clouds installed ! :yahoo:

My Brother was able to come by this afternoon.

We looked over the diagrams I had put together in Sketchup ... to include all measurements and such.
Then, a matter of him tracking down the ceiling trusses and marking them.

Fortunately, I was able to pre-drill/countersink holes beforehand. All the measurements and screw holes were spot-on ! another :yahoo:

Once the 'runners' were in place, it was just a matter of raising up each Cloud, and S-hooking onto the eyebolts. [I'm glad I went with the larger sized hooks, as that simplified the hang].

The acoustical change that the Clouds introduced is dramatic ..... and just as I had hoped.

I'll post pix as soon as I get them off the [other] Cloud ... seems to take some time :?

I need to spend a little time listening to the Room now .... but I also have a few areas that I'm planning to address. Two places in particular.

1. the 2 side walls, up by the ceiling is one of the areas I'd like to place an absorber in that 'corner' ... and the other is just above the 2 French Doors. I have a few left over panels from the original build, and I think they would serve purpose.

Additionally ... we talked about some lighting ideas ... I'm mostly thinking a type of 'highlite' lighting. Just enhance the Room look.
I don't need/want anything bright .... Computer monitors tend to hate that ... and the brightness of monitors is something I don't like ... but what we gonna do. [ah the days when we Mixed by the Light emitted from the Console].

wow ... pausing for a moment from typing, just listening to the 'silence' of the Room.

Anyway ... more to come.

oh .... one of the Pix showed up ... This was a quick one I snapped after stepping out of the Room to take the first look.
Not that great of photo ... lighting is from the ceiling lite ... :ahh:

I'll post this anyway ....
IMG_2604.jpg

Thanks for looking over my shoulder Gullfo ! :)

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Thu, 2022-Oct-06, 15:28

looking good RJ!

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Thu, 2022-Oct-06, 20:35

gullfo wrote:Source of the post looking good RJ!

Thanks Gullfo !

Last nite I had time to check out a ref or two ... then pulled up one of my current Mastering Projects.

The 'correction' to what I'm now hearing CONFIRMS what was having me double/triple check ... and that weird 'phase issue' I sometimes
heard in the sub-bass ..... is no longer happening. :yahoo: I knew it was the Room causing that ... but the Clouds have made a significant correction.

To the point, that I'm questioning if I need to do any more treatment [at least from the sit down, listening position]. Will see if that maintains or not.

There are no noticeable reflections coming back to the sweet spot [at least nothing distracting]. The Room is dry, intimate ... but the Music does not sound dead ... nor do I need a glass of water to listen :P

The 'questionable' area is the space above the 2 French Doors. Keeping in mind that I'm working with both doors OPEN ... the hallway
area is quite lively. But I've not tested to see/hear what the top wall area above the doors in slapping back into the room.

I do still have some triangle pieces of KNAUF sitting in storage, as well as those panels.

I don't want to 'over kill' the Room ... but I might need someone to hold a piece up there so I can listen ... or prop a piece up on a latter or something.

3. I'm also going to have to re-shoot the Room ... and also get a new IR correction filter made ... just want to hold off till the 'obvious' treatment is complete .... but like I said ... the current state is dang close :lol:

That's about it for the moment. Just getting back from Phys Therapy .... they really beat me up ... again

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Fri, 2022-Oct-07, 14:36

some heavy drapes on the open door should quell the hallway enough while leaving a LF path to exit...

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Fri, 2022-Oct-07, 21:11

gullfo wrote:Source of the post some heavy drapes on the open door should quell the hallway enough while leaving a LF path to exit...

Thanks Gullfo ...

Listening again today, the 'hallway' sound is rather distant and very quick ... and the level is low actually.

From my sitting position, there is a hard wall directly behind [doors open], and I placed a broadband absorber behind the chair that is there.

I think I might try hanging 2 of them in the hallway on that facing wall. Even the one panel makes a noticeable difference.
Something I need to try to satisfy curiosity. :lol:

I've also decided that I will put a broadband across the the wall/ceiling corner above the doors. I already have the panel, hooks and chains.
It's an obvious 'cubby' section with the doors. Look to mount it 45 degrees across where the wall and ceiling meet. This should knock down any reflections from that section back into the room .... the rest can escape out the door opening.

Was out shopping at Home Depot to pick up a few needed things, and did some lighting window shopping while there. Man ... nothing has grabbed my attention yet.

But I did buy a 3 ft work light to go above my compound miter saw area. You'd laugh if you saw the clamp lite I have attached to a music stand right now. sad, i know.

Anyway ... the most important thing is my Control Room.

I pulled up my next Mastering project, a type of Orchestral World music type of album. A few little cuts and small boost with my SPL-PQ mastering EQ [and a couple specialty tools], and this thing is HUGE. Power and detail. The ease at which I'm able to identify overtone buildup, mud, front to back positioning and width across the spectrum is what I had hoped for.

Even with the 'correction IR' as it is ... which I will re-shoot and have an updated correction. But the translation across 4 monitor systems, as well as the VSX headphone system has been excellent ... no real surprises. And of course, for me, my original AURATONE 5C cubes are brutally honest ... and why I lov em. [same for those original NS-10s]. 40+ years, and they can still humble oneself in a moment.

Gullfo ... you are an amazing Designer. Still a few things I've yet to do ... but wanted to express my Sincere gratitude throughout this relocation build ... making this happen, within the room constraints ... with these wonderful results !

8-) :) 8-)

RJ

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sat, 2022-Oct-08, 14:26

my pleasure to assist. enjoy! and remember, photos or it didn't happen :-)

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sat, 2022-Oct-08, 21:10

Ah yes ... the verification photos ...

Sometimes we have to update the workspace we use to make the stuff we need for the Studio ...

And so is the case with my little Work Shop area [located in the unfinished side of basement].

So the newest update .... above the Compound Mitre Saw, we now have an official worklight installed.
IMG_2611.jpg

This was still with my original 'Music Stand' lighting that I'd been using. I know .... pathetic.
Above is a new 3 ft, LED, 4k suspended lite. Man, does this brighten up the area !
IMG_2616.jpg

Of course, the power cord is 6" shy of the plug .... so I had to add a strip up there :cen: with a bulb/plug converter, this [of course]
a 2 prong .... thus a 3 to 2 adapter need. Geezzzzzzhhh.

Well ... better than the 'Lighting By Matches' thing I had going :|

The next thing ... now I could see where I had to do more Shop Vac'ing.

Interestingly. I was watching some 'Tips' videos, and a guy talked about Shop Vacs and clogged filters [sawdust].
At near $35 a filter .... he offered a solution. :idea:

They are called Pool, Skim Filter Socks. A thin, nylon mesh that can stretch over the Vac Filter.
To clean ... you can just bang the Vac on the ground.

So .......
IMG_2617.jpg

I open up the Vac, slide this over the filter .... took out that stupid bag that was choking the suction ... and .... NICE.
Works great ... see how long they last ... but 5 filters for $10 ... ok.
Have 2 more vacs to add this too ... give a sock to my Brother ... :shot:
Have to do something to get him over here to put up that panel ... won't take $$$ ... so I entice with 'gifts' ! :mrgreen:

That's about it for the moment .... 8-)

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Sun, 2022-Oct-09, 01:08

Sitting in the Control Room, I turn to look at the view to the hallway.
IMG_2618.jpg

On the left side is where the main entrance door is, and to the right is into the living room [through the door is the mudroom].

The first area I'm looking at is here above the doors.
IMG_2619.jpg

Across the area where wall and ceiling meet, is where I think to install a panel [2'x4'x2", 45 degree, hung via chains].

Looking out into the hallway, the chair on the right side has a panel that I placed behind.

My thought is to mount that panel [more centered] on either side of the wall picture.

Excuse the mess on top of the cabinet. Just temporary items and tools.

I want to leave chairs in place as a 'outside the room' sitting place for Client or company.

As I mentioned, it is difficult to really hear any 'reflections' back into the Room ... if I clap my hands from my sitting position, I can
hear a very fast, short echo that stays in the hallway. It disperses fast, immediate.

I think that putting a panel on that wall could help even more so. The color of the panel is close to the wall color ... and want to be very mindful to the inside look of this entrance. And then ... maybe it will do nothing ... not needed.

That is why I first look above the doors. Once again, I can't say I hear anything objectionable ... but likely, any possible issue would not be noticed until AFTER a panel went up [won't know till we do it kinda thing].

As for the rest of the acoustic treatment ... I'm on Pause. At this early stage of listening to what I currently have, I am not hearing any
glaring issues. That may change as my hearing focus gets past the newness ... I want to be careful to not over deaden the room ... I feel I'm close to that stop point.

I was going to put that above door panel in tonite, but I've kinda pushed a limit, and don't want to risk playing around on a ladder ... so we'll look at this tomorrow [maybe my Brother can make it over].

That's about it for now ... getting into the after Midnight mode ... time to listen to some tunes !

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Mon, 2022-Oct-10, 23:55

Have a question brewing ...

Here's a pix showing the back, left side of room, looking up at the corner ceiling. [this is the 'short wall']
IMG_2622.jpg

That wall area is also the same wall that the Main A/C vent draws air IN.

But I'm looking at that from the inside, and of course the monitors 'hit' that area [the middle right side goes out the double doors.

So I'm thinking I should put an absorber up there.

I have a 2' x 2' x 4" [4" - could make it more] absorber being put together.

It could go flat up on the back wall, above the 2' x 4' panel .... or ...

Do I place it kitty-corner ???

I'm not really hearing an issue from there, but I've also not been able to go up there and listen [still trouble on ladders].

any insights ? recommendations ?

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Tue, 2022-Oct-11, 11:37

you could angle it - top edge to the vent edge and bottom edge just above door. spanning the door. probably enough esp if there are not real issues.

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Tue, 2022-Oct-11, 23:50

ah ... by the time I got back to your post, I had already committed the design to fit straight on that back wall above the panel there.

I did it as another 'open design, with all surfaces exposed.

I'll have to see how or what that treatment goes. It is the 'short wall' in the Room ... even though I'm not really hearing any issue coming from that location, everything we've learned to this point says the sound will bounce around up there.

Sometimes the only way to really know is to put the treatment in ... and listen if any change [for the better hopefully].

Now, to the space above the doors ... that I do want to place a panel in that corner where wall/ceiling meet. Just seems logical.

Everything is mostly ready for that ... I tried to go up there to do it ... but quickly had to get back down :cen:

Hopefully, my Brother can find some spare time to come over.

On the positive side ...

So I've had this Craftsman Vice [probably 60+ years old] that used to be mounted on a workbench from many years back. After building the first Room, I then went and remodeled the rest of the basement. All the old work area taken down/removed.

Since we had moved, I hadn't bother to mount it ... just balanced it on my work table. :oops:

Today that changed ... found a nice piece of shelf board laying around, picked up some lag bolts and proceeded to final mount the Vice.
Countersunk the bolt head, and dropped a washer and locking bolt on top.
Now I can clamp it to my Mitre Saw stand .... or put it on the Work table.
Came in very handy right away ! :yahoo:

I snap a pix of it later.

That's about it for the moment ... till the next update.

RJH

RJHollins

Postby RJHollins » Thu, 2022-Oct-13, 02:36

pix update

Finally the Cloud sent the picture to my PC.
IMG_2624.jpg

I have the old Craftsman vice, board mounted on my mitre saw stand.

In the vice is a metal bar [solid, very heavy] that I've had for as long as I can remember ... no idea what its made of ...

but it sure came in handy as a flat, anvil piece that I used to flatten out the drywall corner bead strips that'll be used
as stand-offs for the 2'x2' absorber for the back wall.

Wish I had thought to use this on other parts of the build ... worked really well.

Other news ...

Had a Client in this evening to checkout the next Mastering project in the new Room. He was very impressed with the room !

I'm hoping this weekend I can get the next two pieces of treatment mounted.

That's it for the moment ....

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Fri, 2022-Oct-14, 13:07

coolio!