Opinions on wall paneling

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
Pequod

Postby Pequod » Mon, 2022-Nov-21, 15:09

I'm looking at a design that would include room in room construction with double drywall for the inner shell. For aesthetic purposes I'm considering a thin (1/8in, somewhat floppy) wood panel over the drywall. I would attach room treatments over that.

My question is, how to attach the paneling. I've heard two schools of thought. One being to glue it down so it becomes one with the inner shell. The other being to use finishing nails so it is more like a limp mass up against the solid wall. I'd prefer to do the latter, for simplicity. Do you think it matters from an acoustical perspective? Would I run into 3rd leaf or resonant issues if the panels are just nailed up?

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Mon, 2022-Nov-21, 17:22

generally, there are a couple of ways to go - one is to put a layer of plywood on the frame - say 1/2" - then attach the drywall layers. easier to attach multiple layers then as well as attaching things to the wall. the other is with the paneling - in which case, if you're sure you're not going to need to remove it anytime soon, construction adhesive to ensure a solid connection. loose panels can resonate and become one of those hard to find issues...

Pequod

Postby Pequod » Mon, 2022-Nov-21, 18:52

Yes I should have said, not 2 layers of drywall but one OSB plus one drywall. That would hold the short finishing nails which won't go all the way through the wall.

I was afraid you'd say that. Not that I expect to remove the panels but you never know. I figured I'll be totally sick of adhesives after spending so much time with acoustic caulk and Green Glue during construction.

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Tue, 2022-Nov-22, 12:57

maybe cover more of the wall with absorption, diffusers, and artwork (as well as racks of gear and instruments) :D

Pop Alexandra

Postby Pop Alexandra » Tue, 2023-Jan-10, 08:37

gullfo wrote:Source of the post maybe cover more of the wall with absorption, diffusers, and artwork (as well as racks of gear and instruments) :D

That would make a difference, though don't overdo it. :)
[SPAM SIGNATURE REMOVED BY MODERATOR]