Free WYSIWYG Residential Lighting Design Software?

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
DanCostello

Postby DanCostello » Wed, 2020-Jan-29, 19:10

At some point, I'm gonna have to make my studio look nice and I'm pretty crap with regards to being able to visualize lighting in my head. So, I'm looking for some software to help.

The couple of Sketchup add-ons I've found are cost-prohibitive, but do have 2-4 week demos that I can exploit.
Ditto for visualizers geared towards theatrical lighting design: cost-prohibitive with free demos.

So far, my best option seems to be Unreal Editor (the video game engine) - It's truly free; and it does lighting out of the box; and I have some experience doing basic stuff with it; and I have legit pro's in my office who could help me with it.

Thoughts?
-Dan.

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Free WYSIWYG Residential Lighting Design Software?

Postby Soundman2020 » Wed, 2020-Jan-29, 22:18

To be honest, I haven't used any of those, but if the "Unreal Editor" can read SketchUp files, then it sounds like a good plan to me. It's just for visualizing the lighting, so you won't be doing any modeling in there: If you need to visualize lighting effects, and that program does what you need, then sounds good!

- Stuart -

ScotcH

Postby ScotcH » Mon, 2020-Nov-16, 22:43

I really like Shaderlight for SketchUp ... it's super easy to use, and price is decent. But certainly not free. Not sure what version is out these days, I'm still using SU 2016 :)

I'm curious about the Unreal engine ... would love hear about your success (or lack thereof!)