Sound Attenuation Walls and Ceilings

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
sgleason

Sound Attenuation Walls and Ceilings

Postby sgleason » Thu, 2019-Oct-17, 16:14

Hey folks!

I really just want to introduce myself as a new member. My name is Steve Gleason and I am the Technical Director at Homasote Company. Homasote makes a very unique cellulose based sound board that works very well with gypsum board on walls and ceilings for sound control between spaces. It also works great on floors. But I am NOT here to talk about 440 SoundBarrier!

I sit at the Homasote Tech Desk all day every day and talk to architects, builders, homeowners...and yes, even studio designers and acoustical consultants across the country about sound control. For the last seven years or so I have studied countless sound tests on pretty much every product on the market. When I'm not on the phone or answering an email I'm studying something. I put together an AIA approved course entitled Sound Control in Construction and our nationwide sales force has given that course to over 4,000 architects.

I have come to love talking about sound transmission.....there are so many nuances to the dynamics of sound control. No matter how much I learn there is always more. Stuart and I have had a few spirited discussions in the past and I am looking forward to more of the same. Right now I am researching the difference between laminating gypsum board to the Homasote with adhesive and screws and using only laminating screws in preparation for an upcoming wall STC test. Wyle WR-73 alludes to a troublesome resonance at 1 KHz with spot lamination and I'm hoping to get some real data on that soon.

One of the biggest reasons I am here, though, is to learn more about how sound behaves in an enclosed environment. I get questions about room acoustics a lot. I am also a recording songwriter. My bedroom studio has been the birthplace of 300 or so songs in the last 20 years or so where I write and record as Leonard Scaper.

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/defau ... did=540680

So....I'll be around. I know most of the discussion will be about room acoustics so I'll mostly be listening but, hey....if anyone wants to shoot the breeze about sound control.....call me at the Tech Desk. I ALWAYS pick up. ;)

http://www.homasote.com/products/440-soundbarrier

Steve

Please don't confuse me with data!

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Sound Attenuation Walls and Ceilings

Postby Soundman2020 » Thu, 2019-Oct-17, 16:32

Hi Steve, and Welcome aboard! It's great to have you here. I'm hoping that there will be plenty of studio builders on the forum who take you up on that offer to give you a call!

- Stuart -

Avare

Re: Sound Attenuation Walls and Ceilings

Postby Avare » Fri, 2019-Oct-18, 02:21

Welcome! It is great seeing you here!

Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction.