Electricity Question: Wiremold and Raceways

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Thu, 2020-Jun-18, 18:05

Greetings all,

Have any of you used Wiremold to run electricity in your studios? It seems that a single wall penetration (or maybe two for bigger rooms) should be easier to deal with isolation-wise (read: filling in all those gaps). Even though it is more expensive than conventional solutions, I am considering it, especially if there ever needs to be servicing.

I look forward to reading about your experiences.

Thanks very much indeed.

All the best,

Paul

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Thu, 2020-Jun-18, 18:52

That's a Legrand product, it seems. I have not used their "Wiremold" system specifically, but I have used their own brand "Legrand" raceways on many, many projects. Even in my own house, for a few things. It's good stuff! The only problem is the cost: it is expensive. But it does the job very well, and they have several different sizes of raceway, some with internal divisions, some open.

It seems that a single wall penetration (or maybe two for bigger rooms) should be easier to deal with isolation-wise (read: filling in all those gaps).

Yes! Definitely! One single point of penetration is the best way to do things in a studio: minimize the number of perforations through the isolation shells, because every hole is a potential point of isolation loss. One single hole to bring in the power feed is ideal. From there, you can take the feed to a small power distribution panel on the wall, with circuit breakers for each circuit if necessary, then spread things around the room as needed: switches, outlets, signal connections. You can do all of your wiring with these raceway systems.

Recommended!

- Stuart -

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Thu, 2020-Jun-18, 19:45

Greetings Stuart,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Seems that many people recommend using the "Deep" boxes, as the standard ones don't accommodate multiple wires very easily. Has this been your own experience?

I am going to plan my outlet and switch needs carefully, and buy at an electrical supply house for (hopefully) better pricing than Lowe's or Home Depot. Here in Philly, we regular folk can shop at the trade places with no trouble as long as you KNOW what you need (and don't wear khakis and a polo shirt), and don't mind the potentially gruff service.

All the best,

Paul

Avare

Postby Avare » Fri, 2020-Jun-19, 02:12

SoWhat wrote:Source of the postSeems that many people recommend using the "Deep" boxes, as the standard ones don't accommodate multiple wires very easily. Has this been your own experience?l

Yes. You have the explanation in the quoted part above. If you are questioning it then go to your local Home Depot and look at the boxes.

Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction.

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Fri, 2020-Jun-19, 12:32

Thanks Andre.

Yes, I went this morning and looked. The standard boxes look relatively useless, except for possibly a Hide-A-Key.

Avare

Postby Avare » Fri, 2020-Jun-19, 23:25

SoWhat wrote:Source of the postThe standard boxes look relatively useless, except for possibly a Hide-A-Key.
Total agreement.

Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction.