My new project and greetings

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
chdoom

Postby chdoom » Sun, 2020-Jul-05, 16:16

Hi!

I'm new here but thank for giving us a space to talk about studio building, acoustic etc. I saw you comment on a lot of post in other forum and that what bring me here.

I'm starting a new project. I want to build a vocal booth to record talent to do voice over for commercials and corporate video. I've got some restriction from my house like a wood beams etc.

So this what I was planning to do:
booth.png

The wooden floor is where I want to build the vocal booth. There is already 2 walls built. I was planning to add layer of drywall with Green Glue.

After that, for the 2 others walls, I want to build double wall with an 1 inches air gap between them.

Here's the questions :)

1- Will I be able to achieve enough isolation between my 2 rooms so when I record voice over there will be no bleed from each room?

2- For the acoustic treatment inside the booth, how should I approach it? I was planning to buy some bass trap and primacoustic pannel. Will this be enough to give a good decay time?

Thanks
Dom

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Mon, 2020-Jul-06, 16:59

Greetings Dom,

Some things to consider (and Stuart will likely provide a more complete laundry list):

Is that a window or a door on the left side of the booth? Either way, given your plans, it will be the weak link. Obviously, you will also need to deal with the ceiling.

Will you be in the room too while recording? If not, where will you be? Regardless, ventilation is going to be a big issue given the airtight box you are building. It's never good to have the talent (or the engineer/producer) passing out during sessions... I remember doing a voiceover for a children's science CD-ROM back in the earlier days of home recording. The "isolation" (read: lots of suspended blankets) left me exhausted (read: heat build-up) after just a few minutes.

All the best,

Paul

chdoom

Postby chdoom » Tue, 2020-Jul-07, 08:09

Hi Paul,

Yes it's a window... I'm lucky enough to live in quiet place so I hope it will not be too much of weak link.

I won't be in the room. I'll be in the control room where there's is a "desk" at the bottom left. I have a forced-air furnace, so I should be able to add some duct to bring in fresh air.

I just don't know the noise that those ducts can bring and how to manage it...

Thank for answering
Dom

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Tue, 2020-Jul-07, 10:51

Greetings Dom,

Didn't realize that the big room was a control room. Thanks.

As I'm learning, HVAC is a HUGE part of the build equation. You'll need silencers for the duct work. You'll find many discussions on the forum, just search for them.

All the best,

Paul

chdoom

Postby chdoom » Tue, 2020-Jul-07, 19:33

Ok great I'll search on the forum for that. Thank Paul

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Wed, 2020-Jul-08, 11:58

Greetings once again Dom,

Don't forget to check Rod Gervais's book regarding your beam issues.

All the best,

Paul

chdoom

Postby chdoom » Fri, 2020-Jul-10, 16:12

Hi Paul!

I've read it couple days ago. I'll post some pictures tonight or tomorrow if you want to see how things evolve...There is only one bad news until now is that I don't know how I'll pass my snake from control room to booth...I was hoping to have some space behind the existing wall but I'm not sur it will fit behind it...

Thanks for your help!
Dom

chdoom

Postby chdoom » Fri, 2020-Jul-10, 16:15

is there a way to make a hole in my double wall to pass my snake cable, without losing all insulation?

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Fri, 2020-Jul-10, 16:22

Greetings Dom,

is there a way to make a hole in my double wall to pass my snake cable, without losing all insulation?

I believe that this has been discussed somewhere on the forum. I'm sure others will chime in.

All the best,

Paul

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Fri, 2020-Jul-10, 17:22

Yes, it will have been discussed elsewhere, maybe in Jennifer's topic. The principle is to have the cables come through one wall and do an S-shaped manouevre so that the coming through the second wall is not in line with the first. This is because sound likes to travel in a straight line.

Have a look at the photos in my build topic and you can see the cables came through the outer wall at ceiling height and some came through the inner wall just above the floor while the light cables stayed up high and came through the inner wall one stud along the wall, so about 60cm away. I caulked the holes to make sure they are airtight.

Jennifer used a putty pad (I forget the exact name) on sockets and light switches; I guess that could be also be used to plug the gap around the cables to seal the walls up again.

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Fri, 2020-Jul-10, 19:30

Greetings Starlight,

Thanks. I knew it was here somewhere.

Now if could just find my keys...

All the best,

Paul

chdoom

Postby chdoom » Sat, 2020-Jul-11, 07:00

Hi!

Thank to both of you for your advices.

Here is some picture from the project. It's still really early :)
IMG_20200709_174114352.jpg
IMG_20200709_174108663.jpg
IMG_20200709_174046458.jpg
IMG_20200709_174027775.jpg
IMG_20200709_174017910.jpg

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Mon, 2020-Jul-20, 22:18

Hi there, Dom, and Welcome to the forum! :thu: :)

Paul and Starlight have already give you some great advice, so there's not much for me to add, except maybe this, to help with your HVAC concerns: why your studio needs proper HVAC.

And also this image, that shows the basic concept for doing "room within a room" construction:
Soundman-Recording-Studio-forum--MSM--two-leaf-WallChunk-conventional--NOT-inside-out--one-room--S06.png
That's the general idea of how to do it right.

Hope that helps!

- Stuart -