Homerecording in the attic

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
zorgblaubaer

Postby zorgblaubaer » Thu, 2020-Jul-23, 11:02

Hey all. I will be moving next week and have decided to finally give the room I am recording and mixing in some treatment.

The new room will be in the attic and is probably not the worst, but with one big drawback: the back wall ist angled unfortunately. My initial plan was to put the desk in front of the angled wall, but what will I have to do to make that sound acceptably? Do I need to put in an additional wall that is not angled? Or will this not be as big as an issue as I think it will be? Is it maybe better to position my desk at the center of one of the long walls? It would be really nice if you could help me out here.

After deciding on a listing position I plan to put bass traps in all 4 corners and mount absorbers in between the "ribs" of the ceiling/slanted walls. Anything else that I should think of?

Thanks already for your advice!
Attachments
grundriss.jpg
blickinraum.jpg

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Thu, 2020-Jul-23, 22:34

Hi there Zorgblaubaer, and Welcome to the forum! :) :thu:

That's a complicated room you have there! And yes, you are correct in suspecting that the angled front wall is a problem. This is because symmetry is critical for a listening environment. Your left ear needs to hear the same "acoustic signature" as your tight ear, so that your brain can build an accurate picture of what it is hearing. If one speaker is against the front wall, and the other is far away from it because the wall is angled, then that creates to very different acoustic responses. And if instead you decided to push both speakers up tight against the wall, the your ears would be different distances from the speakers, with different timings, frequency response reflections, etc. Thus, neither of those two options is good.

Putting our desk against one of the long walls is also not a good solution, as that would mean the wal behind you would be too close, and you would have strong sound returning to your ears too early.

It seems your best bet is, indeed, to build a new wall across that end of the room, so you can get it symmetrical.

By the way, how big is the room? What are the dimensions (length, width and height)?

- Stuart -

zorgblaubaer

Postby zorgblaubaer » Fri, 2020-Jul-24, 08:59

Hey Stuart,

thank you so much for your answer, that helps me a lot.
My plan would be to just put up some drywall to get rid of the angle and all sorts of acoustic treatment in front of that. Or is there any other way of doing it where I could already use the "lost" space behind the wall?

About the dimension I don't know yet. When I move in this weekend I will take exact measurements to create a 3d copy of the room. I guess it will be somewhere around 3.5m x 7m x 2m. So this also means that the ceiling is very low...

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Fri, 2020-Jul-24, 18:30

zorgblaubaer wrote:Source of the postOr is there any other way of doing it where I could already use the "lost" space behind the wall?
You could put a door of some sort in the wall and use the space as a storage area or a machine room. Or, depending on how you plan to provide ventilation it could become the space for the machine that pumps the air in and out of the studio.

zorgblaubaer

Postby zorgblaubaer » Tue, 2020-Aug-18, 12:08

So, I have since moved in and built a wall in the back of the room. Because of a heating unit and a window which could not be moved I had to compromise a little already and there is still a very short angle left on the left side.
attic.jpg
I put 2 packs of stonewool behind the wall I built in hopes to already tame the low end a little without having any visible treatment in the room. Subjectively it already sounds better than my old room without doing anything, but this could simply be due to better monitor placement. When I open the window next to the right hand speaker it sounds VERY bad of course.

What I am planing to do now is to first get a couch and then do measurements.

Btw, the size of the room is 2.9m x 6.2m x 1.85m, so a bit smaller than I guessed earlier.