Basement studio/drum room advice needed

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
bert stoltenborg

Postby bert stoltenborg » Sat, 2021-Jan-09, 08:47

Jag94 wrote:Source of the post
bert stoltenborg wrote:Source of the post

A properly isolated flex duct works fine.
Baffle boxes are a bit of a urban myth, they look logical but in reality they are complex and have flaws.

That's a pretty bold claim, especially since most of the studio designers/builders I've come across all use silencer boxes in some form or another. Care you elaborate on what you mean?

Google at coulissen damper and see how professionals handle this at large scale buildings since decades instead of clinging to studio gurus :-).
These baffle boxes introduce a load of turbulence with all the baffles and that hinders laminate airflow.
As my friend Eric Desart would say: everything that looks complex appeals to people as better. :D

Those look massive. How would I fit that in a garage studio that is 15'x14'? I think that's where silencer boxes are WAY more effective. We need solutions for small spaces.

Also, silencer boxes don't introduce "a load of turbulence" if you size them correctly. When people just make a box with some baffles, and don't do the math to make sure the area of the box can handle the air volume and speed that matches the ducts entering/exiting, sure, you'll get problems. But if you do it correctly, silencer boxes can be extremely effective for small home studios... as is proven by the thousands of people who use them.

I don't say they don't work at all.
All I say is that flex duct if dimensioned properly works as well and is even better for small spaces.
In a Gearslutz thread on baffle boxes this was brougth up by a Belgian studio owner who was adviced by Desart, and it was confirmed by Northwards. Stuart was surprised. :shock: :lol: . I see if I can retrieve it and place a link.
*edit: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio- ... -look.html

Jag94

Postby Jag94 » Sat, 2021-Jan-09, 16:00

All I say is that flex duct if dimensioned properly works as well and is even better for small spaces.
In a Gearslutz thread on baffle boxes this was brougth up by a Belgian studio owner who was adviced by Desart, and it was confirmed by Northwards. Stuart was surprised. :shock: :lol: . I see if I can retrieve it and place a link.

Yeah, I've seen that thread. Unfortunately there isn't much information there. There is, however, a ton of information on silencer boxes, which is probably another reason why most people use them.

bert stoltenborg

Postby bert stoltenborg » Sat, 2021-Jan-09, 16:29

Yeah, I've seen that thread. Unfortunately there isn't much information there. There is, however, a ton of information on silencer boxes, which is probably another reason why most people use them.

What other info do you want? A (eventually) soffited Sonodec needs to fullfill the same conditions as a silencer box (without the irrelevant bends). That's all that is to it.
Make your silly baffle boxes if you want but don't confuse other people :-).

ScotcH

Postby ScotcH » Sun, 2021-Jan-10, 04:29

Because I haven't played my drums in a couple months and was bored, I set up the kick and snare and took some measurements for kicks.

Room is currently framed, with drywall completed on 2 walls only. Ceiling and other 2 walls are just framed (so, basically not there lol).

- 55 db max in room ambient with furnace running (it's 5' away)
- 111 db max in the room, 6' from the kit.
- 89 db max on the couch in room right above the kit.

I will keep a running log of these measurements as the build progresses. Will also record at exact same levels throughout, just to see what sort of frequency range the reduction and isolation works at.

Jag94

Postby Jag94 » Sun, 2021-Jan-10, 04:42

What other info do you want? A (eventually) soffited Sonodec needs to fullfill the same conditions as a silencer box (without the irrelevant bends). That's all that is to it.

That's not really very helpful. Again, there are literally hundreds of threads where people explain and elaborate on their silencer box designs/builds, including several studio builders and their resources (including Rod's book). There is a ton of documentation which makes it easy for people to replicate for their needs. That single thread on using soffited sonodec is the only thread i've seen (not saying there aren't more, it's just the only one I've seen), and the information in there wasn't exactly thorough. You can't expect people to see that thread and be able to build that design correctly. I'm not saying it can't be done. Just that there is far less resources for building it properly.

bert stoltenborg

Postby bert stoltenborg » Sun, 2021-Jan-10, 08:33

That's not really very helpful. Again, there are literally hundreds of threads where people explain and elaborate on their silencer box designs/builds, including several studio builders and their resources (including Rod's book). There is a ton of documentation which makes it easy for people to replicate for their needs. That single thread on using soffited sonodec is the only thread i've seen (not saying there aren't more, it's just the only one I've seen), and the information in there wasn't exactly thorough. You can't expect people to see that thread and be able to build that design correctly. I'm not saying it can't be done. Just that there is far less resources for building it properly.

OK, I mistook your reaction for stubborness so I apologize.
All relevant information is on their site : https://www.decinternational.com/specif ... ec_250.pdf
The procedure is the same as for a baffle box: you have the different pressures and the sound attenuation.
If you have to run the duct through a space you cab baffle it as the metal sheet is not the best sound isolator.
You have to consider it as a every duct/bafflebox. It only takes less efford to install most of the time.