Small Sound Post *Edit* Rooms - And Designing with Modules

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
endorka

Postby endorka » Wed, 2021-Mar-17, 05:13

This is superb, and that you will be sharing your findings, materials and so on, absolutely excellent.

"While I'm thinking about floors. Is there a formula for calculating the performance differences of a floor sitting on 90mm framing rather than 70mm framing? And will the spacing of the frame make as much difference as in walls? I'm modelling everything using 800mm wide flooring, so 400mm centers for the frame - making sure all seams fall on top of the frame. I could have sworn I've read something on here in one of the reference posts about this - but I certainly can't find it today."

As far as I know floors behave the same way as walls, at least in acoustic terms. With the proviso that you don't walk on walls, so impact noise may be an addition concern with floors. So unless you are Lionel Richie you'll be ok :)

Stuart has posted many documents on this topic; IR-761 might be useful as it compares various wall assemblies with different stud spacing.

https://www.digistar.cl/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=4

There is a calculator for various MSM assemblies here;
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IVsp3j7zNmLHkQVeUgBhFuN_cohSrlkj5RNrM6SXGpA/edit?usp=sharing

brendan_w

Postby brendan_w » Thu, 2021-Mar-18, 00:30

endorka wrote:Source of the post Stuart has posted many documents on this topic; IR-761 might be useful as it compares various wall assemblies with different stud spacing.

That was exactly what I was looking for. It took me to IR 801 AND other docs that were very useful.