Stand alone “room in a room” studio build ORANGE NSW Australia

Start your own studio thread here: Goals, plans, layouts, treatment, speakers, questions, queries, comments...
gearjunk1e

Postby gearjunk1e » Tue, 2023-Aug-15, 09:15

HVAC
Here’s my ventilation plan. Just for the live room – the CR is simpler given there are more places to “hide” registers and it’s a smaller room volume, hence smaller silencers.

There are 2 questions at the end.

I must say – this is the hard bit. I thought I had it sorted from a velocity and CSA drop down perspective but once I looked at the static pressure, it forced me back into another round of tweaking to get into a safe static pressure operating range for the fan (and a change of fan).

So a word of warning to anyone in design phase. The experienced builders here will tell you to do the HVAC plan early. DO NOT ignore this advice! Juggling conflicting objectives of:

• Silencer box size – to fit in the space
• Silencer box weight
• Static Pressure capacity of the fan
• Duct size – to fit in the gap; and
• Size of CSA drop downs

is seriously brain bending stuff – every part of my system has changed en route.

Anyway here’s my plan….

(Apologies up front for my switching between metric and imperial – they changed over here half way through my schooling so I have “measurement schizophrenia”..) :lol:

My outer silencers will be hung on the wall separating the studio from the workshop, with duct pipes running to and from the external world from there. They will be standard silencers – while the inner silencers will be the dual flow ones.

Here is the “big picture” plan. (Ignore the half-finished door spaces in the model. Also, there’s obviously tons of fluffy in the ceiling gap but I’ve left that out for clarity.)

First a shot for context with roof removed.
Context shot.png
The supply and return connections between outer and inner silencers will be 5” flex duct – a short run on the supply and long one (6.5m) on the return as the return will be located at the other end of the room. The outer return silencer will be located inside my workshop (next to the outer wall supply unit). I wasn’t intending to use insulated duct between silencers – in any event it will be running through my wall/ceiling gap insulation.
HVAC overview.png
The supply registers will be located just above the mini-split.
Inside LR.png
In the images below you can see how I’m dropping the hard inner (inside out) ceiling where the silencer sits – all of these are cut away views of the supply side silencers that are either side of the wall that separates my shed from my studio.
Inner Silencer from inside.png
Inner Silencer from above.png
Inner Silencer ex fluffy.png
Inner Silencer drop down.png
Inner Silencer profile.png
And here’s the inside of the silencers. Sorry about the rough sketchup work – my first iteration was nice and tidy but progressive edits have exposed a lack of skill.
Silencers inside.png
Inner Silencer inside.png

Silencer/duct sizing calculations are as follows:

Room volume = 3,428 cu ft
CFM at 8 changes per hour = 457 CFM
Fresh air requirement
@ 10 CFM with 8 persons = 80 CFM
@ 20% = 457 x 0.2 = 91 CFM
@ 30% = 457 x 0.3 = 137 CFM

I’ve based my design on the “10 CFM fresh air per person” measure but stress tested it a bit and worked out that I can run at up to 27% of room CFM within the static pressure capacity of my chosen filter with a velocity still less than 200 fpm at the register exit. (While I feel the “per person” measure is already a stress test as I’ve allowed for 8 people and it would never get above 6 – this is life and death stuff so I’ve given myself more capacity and invested in a CO2 meter to be safe.) 27% room CFM is just under 16 CFM fresh air per person for 8 people.

My intended fan is a Fantech 125mm Ecowatt unit.

Here’s the velocity calculations and duct CSA measurements - working back from the inner silencer register:
(All calculations are from the inside of the 25mm of duct liner)

Registers
190mm x 160mm (CSA = 0.33 sq. ft) but with 2 channels it’s effectively doubled = 0.66 sq. ft.
Velocity = 80/0.66 = 121 fpm
Inside the Inner silencer
140mm x 110mm (CSA = 0.155 sq. ft) but with 2 channels it’s effectively doubled = 0.33 sq. ft
Velocity = 80/0.33 = 242 fpm
Inner-Outer silencer duct
125mm dia = (CSA = 0.132 sq. ft)
Velocity = 80/0.132 = 605 fpm
Outer silencer
178mm x 200mm CSA = (0.39 sq. ft)
Velocity = 80/0.39 = 205 fpm
Outer duct
125mm dia = (CSA = 0.132 sq. ft)
Velocity = 80/0.132 = 605 fpm

CSA Step ups:
Into the outer silencer – ~ 3 times
Into the inner silencer – ~2.5 times

Construction details

• The silencer body will be 1 layer of 16mm mdf > green glue > 1 layer of 18mm mdf. This is generates mass/m2 in line with my wall mass
• The top of the inner silencers will sit around 40mm from the outer ceiling
• I’m running the long 5” duct run on the return side inside some 6” flexible duct – to help keep it in shape (I’m pretty sure that is one of Glenn’s ideas)
• I’m using 12mm Neoprene blocks under the silencer between the silencer and the support beams and some leftover insertion rubber on top of the beams where the internal duct (from the return inner silencer to the outer silencer) will rest
• The fan will be located on the supply side to keep pressure on the inner doors
• Louvres/filters will be located at the terminal ends of the 125mm duct runs to and from the outside world.
• The spigots I’m using have 90mm of sleeve which will go through the outer wall nicely and present enough exposed sleeve to attach the flexible duct
spigot.jpg

• For duct liner I’m using Bradford Supertel https://www.bradfordinsulation.com.au/c ... t/supertel and will follow Starlight’s stapling approach.

I’ve picked up some Sashco Big Stretch for filling penetrations around wall holes for spigots which I’ll also use for electrical and AC penetration filling.

These internal dimensions mean that:
The outer silencers have outside dimensions of 1.29m x 0.56m x 0.33, weighing in at 64 kg
The Inner silencers have outside dimensions of 2.07m x 0.47m x 0.23, weighing 78 kg

Static pressure

Using the engineering toolbox, I’ve calculated that the inner silencers would have an equivalent round duct diameter of 5.33 inches and the outer ones, 8.18 inches.

Using the “Duct Diameter x 60 equation” for converting 90 degree bends into an equivalent length of straight duct gives

5.33 x 60 x 9 (90 deg turns) = 240 2ft equivalent of straight duct for each side of each INNER silencer
and

8.18 x 60 x 10 (90 deg turns) for each outer silencer = 409 ft of straight duct for each OUTER leaf silencer.

For the inner silencer static pressure, I’ve halved the fresh air flow to 40 as only half goes through each side.
Inner Silencer wg.png
The outer silencer looks like
Outer Silencer wg.png
So if I double the inner silencer static pressure result to cover both sides of the dual flow silencer and add the outer silence static pressure I get 0.0652 x 2 + 0.0483 = 0.179 .wg. I then double this to cover both supply and return legs and get a total of 0.357 .wg for the 4 silencers.

Adding the static pressure from 40 feet of 5” duct across the internal and external runs (0.0544 wg) and allowing 0.1 .wg for louvres/filters gives me a total static pressure of 0.357 + 0.0544 + 0.1 = 0.36 .wg = 89 Pa

My fan specs allow up to 261 Pa. As mentioned above, that gives me capacity to run the fan to generate fresh air at up to 27% of room CFM.
specs jetline.png
My questions:

1. What have I stuffed up? My results seem pretty consistent with similar builds but HVAC keeps throwing curve balls at me every few weeks so I’m far from over confident :(

2. I’ve used a 3” (75mm) overlap (see below) on the baffles inside my silencers per what I understand of the meaning of “X+3” in Gregwor’s model. Perhaps I’m looking in the wrong places but there seems to be quite a bit of variation in the overlap of baffles across the various silencers I’ve seen. The largest is in Rod’s book (p155 - 2nd Ed.) where he shows a diagram with 17 ¾” long baffles and a 10 ¾” gap to the other wall implying a 7”overlap. Others seem to have used minimal overlap. :? Any rules here?
overlap.png

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Tue, 2023-Aug-15, 09:33

essentially, the overlap can be minimal - say 1" depth of the duct board/liner. commercial units are usually straight through with absorption liner and/or mesh - but designed for mechanical system noise reduction more than inter-room noise attenuation. still, the staggered approach is generally working.

the silencer addresses to inter-room (inter-air space) noise entry - but you also need to consider general noise from the vents and the air movement across mics etc. the simplest method i've found is to build a soffit around the room (absorption as well as duct routing) and install a plenum to expand the volume and reduce the air speed - then use somewhat larger (longer / wider) vents which as "low noise". e.g. if you size your plenum to 2x the area of the inbound duct - you get approx 2x reduction in velocity - so a 1 ft2 duct into a 2 ft2 plenum running at 300fpm will now be about 150fpm - much quieter.

and with duct board - easy to form and will also provide absorption, and some reflectiveness as it's exterior is fairly dense - so your soffits in those sections will not be as "dry" as fully absorptive sections.

gearjunk1e

Postby gearjunk1e » Wed, 2023-Aug-16, 09:26

Thanks Glenn
Makes me wonder whether I should convert the area under the silencer into a plenum and get the velocity down a bit more :idea:
Andrew

gearjunk1e

Postby gearjunk1e » Tue, 2024-Mar-12, 18:43

From here on in I've consolidated all posts in my blog on the construction board - https://forum.digistar.cl/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=918&start=45