New dream house with studio and workshop.

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
endorka

Postby endorka » Tue, 2021-Nov-02, 09:57

I just re-read the last part of the thread concerning windows and sound isolation. It would appear that 17mm glass is on the lower end of the recommendations for around 50 dB isolation. Is that what you are still aiming for? Do you have the mass per area for this glass so the isolation estimates can be made?

This is way out of my expertise - I've never built a window before - but if the double window design allows for one to be built before the inner wall is constructed in theory why not? One concern I would have is for the buildup of dust, markings and damage during construction of the other wall. You might end up having to block or cover them up anyway to avoid this.

Cheers,
Jennifer

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Tue, 2021-Nov-02, 15:30

Thanks Jennifer. I am contemplating 2 layers of 17mm glass with an large air gap between them but if they need to be thicker then I am still at a stage where that can be done. I don’t have specific mass per m2 for it at this stage but I presume most glass falls within a very narrow range so regular glass should be a good starting point.

I am proposing to have each pane made from at least 3 layers laminated with acoustic glue. Stuart did a good post on how this worked out for his own house a while back. If it was good enough for @Soundman2020 its good enough for me :D I’ll try and find it again and reread his comments. (Edit x it was actually post #32 in this thread :lol: )

Good points about dust, marks etc during construction. I will probably need to cover them completely during that stage.

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Mon, 2022-Apr-04, 14:42

Now that the main house is finally finished I am able to start focusing on the Studio / Workshop at last.

Fitted the base track over the weekend and started installing the external insulation to the building today. I still have at least a couple of weeks work ahead of me before I can move inside.

I now need to really start driving forward on an actual design for the studio itself. I was really hoping Stuart would do the design but he hasn't been answering my emails or DM so I can only assume he is no longer available to take a n the project. With that being the case I need to find someone to take on designing a killer studio for me. Any good recommendations?

IMG20220404180537.jpg

IMG20220404121727.jpg

IMG20220404105221.jpg

IMG20220401110422.jpg

psb_87

Postby psb_87 » Sun, 2022-Apr-10, 15:04

Wheresthedug wrote:Source of the post Now that the main house is finally finished I am able to start focusing on the Studio / Workshop at last.

Fitted the base track over the weekend and started installing the external insulation to the building today. I still have at least a couple of weeks work ahead of me before I can move inside.

I now need to really start driving forward on an actual design for the studio itself. I was really hoping Stuart would do the design but he hasn't been answering my emails or DM so I can only assume he is no longer available to take a n the project. With that being the case I need to find someone to take on designing a killer studio for me. Any good recommendations?

IMG20220404180537.jpg

IMG20220404121727.jpg

IMG20220404105221.jpg

IMG20220401110422.jpg

I'm in the UK and I absolutely love Scotland! I'd love to design a studio there, send me an e-mail hello@wiseowlacoustics.com

Paul

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Tue, 2022-Apr-12, 05:45

psb_87 wrote:Source of the post
I'm in the UK and I absolutely love Scotland!

Everyone loves Scotland! You’d have to be totally insane not to :lol:

endorka

Postby endorka » Wed, 2022-Apr-20, 13:07

Incredible stuff there. All the best for finding a designer for the studio interior, it's going to be awesome when finished.

Cheers!
Jennifer

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Wed, 2022-Apr-20, 14:44

Thanks Jennifer. I’ve made good progress with the external insulation over the last two weeks. I’m now almost finished insulation and getting read to move on to cladding. Once I get a design pinned down I will move indoors.

I have a few people interested in taking on the project as it looks unlikely that Soundman2020, going to be available to do it.

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Wed, 2022-May-11, 14:09

I finally have a studio designer working on the plans so hopefully I will start to make some decent progress with the project over the next few month :D

endorka

Postby endorka » Fri, 2022-May-13, 10:30

Now you have the external shell built, how well is the sound isolation performing? I remember the discussions about log lorries and the like!

Cheers,
Jennifer

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Sat, 2022-May-14, 03:35

Still got to get the glass in before I can get anything meaningful but will update as soon as I know.

endorka

Postby endorka » Mon, 2022-May-16, 08:10

Ah, my apologies, I thought the glass outside was done and you were waiting to install the new glass on the inside room to room window :D