New Home Studio Build

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Mon, 2022-Aug-15, 20:38

gullfo wrote:unless you're planning on adding some resonator type features, i'd leave it open.

That interests me but for now the only thing I might do if the room is a little too dead is cover some of the trap with some scatter plate diffuser panels like the attachment that I can make easily. I can put whatever amount I want on the bass traps to help with keeping the mids/highs present in the room.
B3CB78C1-3735-4C49-AAE6-C945C1A72EE0.jpeg

gullfo

New Home Studio Build

Postby gullfo » Tue, 2022-Aug-16, 09:57

yeah, looks like one of my panels from years ago. generally not used for resonator type treatment but good for reinforcing the HF.

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Tue, 2022-Aug-16, 10:30

gullfo wrote:Source of the post yeah, looks like one of my panels from years ago. generally not used for resonator type treatment but good for reinforcing the HF.

How would it effect the low end absorption of my traps if I covered them with scatter plates like the image except with the plate I made?
2402FCED-1529-4AF7-839A-AB4FAA322176.jpeg
84F8F5BC-3D5D-4F0F-881C-F00A3FDCB3E4.jpeg
6EE09D8F-47CA-41FD-A501-29E5910CB79D.jpeg

gullfo

New Home Studio Build

Postby gullfo » Tue, 2022-Aug-16, 11:05

it's definitely going to increase the amount of scattered HF throughout the room. one consideration when using the same types of panels is to ensure you alternate the panel sequencing (Barker sequence / pattern)- so while not true "binary diffraction", the panels will exhibit some level of lobbing patterns if same types are used repeatedly. or use a variety of panel patterns in different places to adjust overall balance between HF and HMF absorption (like first reflection points) and HF support (like back walls or performance areas). e.g. of some panels https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... ary-Panels

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Sat, 2023-Jan-14, 18:09

Hi all,

I built my control room and I’m now installing acoustical treatment. I am searching for opinions on finishing it out with diffusion possibly. The room is
15’x 19’ with 12’ ceiling. 33” drop ceiling with low density low resistivity insulation.

18” Front and rear sophets.

4 corner bass traps.

4 side wall panels 48”x26”
of 4” deep 703 rigid fiberglass.

Floating hardwood floor

Before I put up the 4 side wall panels the room sounded great but still had a lot of flutter when clapping hands. I added the 4 sidewall panels in the first reflection points and it greatly helped but the room is starting to get dry. I can live with it as is but still there is a little flutter because of the rear side walls being open. I’d like to put diffusion there instead of 2 more rigid fiberglass panels to get rid of the flutter and make the room better. Also would adding diffusion on back wall help the room in general? If so what kind of diffusion would you recommend? Thank you for your time and expertise,

Jason Newcomb
Soulshaker Studios

536611EA-9E0E-4B61-9742-BDDD6CF290F3.jpeg
58E76787-395B-4831-86DE-44C553FDCABF.jpeg
23369F97-7175-4CC4-95FD-39C91715684B.jpeg
DD85AF74-54F0-41D6-924E-866CEF2FD5A9.jpeg
0C045121-261D-42EE-A504-26A8D9A49A70.jpeg

gullfo

New Home Studio Build

Postby gullfo » Sat, 2023-Jan-14, 19:35

i'd just put more absorbers on the walls and the door. the gaps will cause enough scattering without the diffusers. if the rear wall is soft - maybe put a couple of small diffusers there, if it's hard, then 3 absorbers.

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Sun, 2023-Jan-15, 10:00

gullfo wrote:Source of the post i'd just put more absorbers on the walls and the door. the gaps will cause enough scattering without the diffusers. if the rear wall is soft - maybe put a couple of small diffusers there, if it's hard, then 3 absorbers.

Thank you for your response. In my post I stated that I don’t want to put more absorption there because the room will be too dry for my taste. I’m searching for opinions on what kind of diffusion would be best on the rear side walls and rear wall.

gullfo

New Home Studio Build

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2023-Jan-15, 15:49

the only concern about the side walls - proximity. that said, 2D diffusers would work - check out GIK diffusers. or polycylindrical panels can provide scattering and some LF absorption. or per my point earlier - more absorbers - in this case small 12x12x2" panels checkerboarded with space between will also give you the diffusive effect and reduce the slap echoes without being overly absorptive. you could also build some scattering devices like these - basically wood panels w/ stand-offs which will provide scattering. and options for backlighting.
Attachments
example scattering 2023-01-15 12441900000.png

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Sun, 2023-Jan-15, 18:03

Thanks Glenn,

Others have recommended polycylindrical panels too and seem to be a great candidate for this. I love the design of the wood scattering devices you provided. Very cool design for sure. They could actually have absorption behind them as well right? Are they homemade or obtainable from a distributor?

gullfo

New Home Studio Build

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2023-Jan-15, 20:39

no these are homemade. you could put some absorber behind them. i typically use something like thing as a reflective panel on absorbers to improve the overall HF response. depending on your resources, if you have a friend with a CNC machine, then many more options exist such as poly w/ QRD slats (very effective) and more elaborate panels.

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Sun, 2023-Jan-15, 22:15

gullfo wrote:Source of the post no these are homemade. you could put some absorber behind them. i typically use something like thing as a reflective panel on absorbers to improve the overall HF response. depending on your resources, if you have a friend with a CNC machine, then many more options exist such as poly w/ QRD slats (very effective) and more elaborate panels.

Yes I do have a friend with a CNC machine. Thanks for the advice. Do you have drawings of your scattering devices you would share?

gullfo

New Home Studio Build

Postby gullfo » Mon, 2023-Jan-16, 13:57

take a look here https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/manage ... geSize=100
and see if any patterns are to your liking.

no problem sharing, we can simply define one or a few to match your room aesthetics

Frans Wessels

New Home Studio Build

Postby Frans Wessels » Sun, 2023-Mar-12, 11:22

Any updates Jason?

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Mon, 2024-Jan-15, 19:53

Hi to all that have helped me and anyone else who's reading this. I've been successfully working in Soulshaker Studio now for about 8 months doing both personal projects with my band as well as clients coming in. All of the acoustical treatment that was implemented paid off with a great sounding room. The live/tracking room's low end is completely under control and the overall room response is fairly even. The recommendation from the person that did room analysis and others was to treat more of the ceiling to prevent flutter echo and further enhance the rooms response. I have 1 cloud over the main drum area which helps but I'm open to ideas for the entire ceiling including removing the cloud if there is a better plan. If diffusion on the ceiling or front wall aren't recommended I probably would want to put some absorption on the ceiling to prevent reflections although the room doesn't need more deadening in my opinion. I'm really hoping diffusion is the way to go. All the studios I've worked in that had diffusion used properly had rooms that were easy to get good sounds in.

Attached are some current pics of the live room. As always thank you for your time and expertise,

Jason Newcomb
Live Room-1 copy.jpg
Live Room-2 copy 2.jpg
Live Room-3 copy.jpg
Live Room-4 copy.jpg
Live Room-5 copy.jpg
Live Room-6 copy.jpg
Live Room-7 copy.jpg

gullfo

New Home Studio Build

Postby gullfo » Tue, 2024-Jan-16, 12:04

nice looking room! you could add a set of clouds across that peak if you need more overall LF taming. you have lots of stuff on the walls - so you have plenty of diffraction already (as well as harmonic support from the hanging and standing instruments and amps resonating).