New Home Studio Build

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Fri, 2022-Jul-29, 17:43

ericwisgikl wrote:Source of the post I've done the same and got that problem too.

I've managed to align SPL levels, and my conclusions are that it surely got better. There are less resonances, and I'm sure it feels tighter in there, so it is a great improvement.

However, my skills are not very developed yet in order to get a pro analysis of the situation, and I'm not confident at getting ultimate conclusions.

Also, being balloons the source, it's even harder, because every balloon sounds different, and give us similar but not 100% equivalent responses.

All that being said, congratulations and keep moving forward, you are in good way. Trust your ears and taste, and if you can, learn how to use REW and do some measurements with a consistent source in order to learn what's left for future improvement.

All the best,

Eric

Hi Eric and Jennifer,

I appreciate your attempts and understand your feedback. Here are the images/analysis from Hayden who performed the testing. I asked him about the variables with different balloons and he explained that in the methods he uses within the Smaart software that is a non issue. I cant really explain what he said because it ended up being over my head technically speaking but I'll try to get him to elaborate on this in print. Anyway attached is his report with his findings and observations. He believes the results of the bass trap and broadband absorption panels are a success and if I add ceiling clouds I should be close to having a great tracking room. I'm going to continue tracking and getting to know the room and hopefully through further studies will be able to implement some diffusion into the room.

Jason
Soulshaker IR analysis Report.docx.pdf
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 346 times
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 346 times

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Fri, 2022-Jul-29, 17:47

endorka wrote:I've downloaded a couple of the before trap / after trap readings and imported them into REW. However, I'm not yet confident with commenting about them here as I'm not sure if there are any differences between interpreting these and the usual readings. For example, some of the readings seemed to have very different SPL levels than others. I was able to align them for comparison in the "All SPL" chart, but couldn't work out how to do this for spectrogram and waterfall.

Does anyone have any tips about importing and interpreting impulse charts of this type into REW?

Cheers!
Jennifer

Hi Eric and Jennifer,

I appreciate your attempts and understand your feedback. Here are the images/analysis from Hayden who performed the testing. I asked him about the variables with different balloons and he explained that in the methods he uses within the Smaart software that is a non issue. I cant really explain what he said because it ended up being over my head technically speaking but I'll try to get him to elaborate on this in print. Anyway attached is his report with his findings and observations. He believes the results of the bass trap and broadband absorption panels are a success and if I add ceiling clouds I should be close to having a great tracking room. I'm going to continue tracking and getting to know the room and hopefully through further studies will be able to implement some diffusion into the room.

Jason
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 330 times
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 330 times

ericwisgikl

New Home Studio Build

Postby ericwisgikl » Fri, 2022-Jul-29, 20:25

Jason, the attached report looks nice. Clearly, you were in good hands.

Thank you for sharing!

Eric

endorka

New Home Studio Build

Postby endorka » Sat, 2022-Jul-30, 00:05

I concur! Thank you for putting the report up, it reads well and I now have a new document to study, "ISO 3382-2:2008 Acoustics — Measurement of room acoustic parameters — Part 2: Reverberation time in ordinary rooms".

The bass trap and panels really are doing a good job. Nice one.

Cheers,
Jennifer

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Sat, 2022-Jul-30, 07:34

CDE03381-3670-4E08-B4A2-3123F2B66228.jpeg
After a lot of blood sweat & tears I’m finally getting closer to finishing the studio and creating some music! A trap this big deserves a finishing touch. This is a real salvaged bull skull that an artist in Argentina hand carved using a dremmel tool, hand files and paint etc. just gotta hide the cord but I think it’s pretty cool.

endorka

New Home Studio Build

Postby endorka » Tue, 2022-Aug-02, 10:21

That looks superb!

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Wed, 2022-Aug-03, 21:42

endorka wrote:Source of the post That looks superb!

Thanks and also for your earlier comment on my construction skills. Home improvement is what I’ve done for a living for the last 30 years so that part of this project was easier for me. I try to always do things right and make look as artistic as possible. I’m going to build 2 corner traps next where I’ve highlighted yellow. Should I just use more low density insulation or cut triangles of 2” Owens Corning 705 rigid fiberglass and stack? I have plenty of each so supply isn’t a decision factor.
0AEA06B6-4C31-481A-A99B-406181ACA908.jpeg

Jason

gullfo

New Home Studio Build

Postby gullfo » Thu, 2022-Aug-04, 10:28

you could use the lower density into the corners and then face it with the semi-rigid to make is nice and even. this will also improve the overall absorption. and if it gets too "dry", adding some slats to restore some HF reflection will be useful as well.

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Mon, 2022-Aug-08, 13:47

gullfo wrote:Source of the post you could use the lower density into the corners and then face it with the semi-rigid to make is nice and even. this will also improve the overall absorption. and if it gets too "dry", adding some slats to restore some HF reflection will be useful as well.

Could I as you said put low density in this trap but instead of a solid piece of rigid have it like it is in the picture? Basically the pieces I have left aren’t wide enough to cover this perfectly or long enough so there could be a gap at the top in like 2 inches gap running down the sides so the rigid would not be a solid piece but cover the majority of the front.
Attachments
54DE6DEE-51B5-45A3-84E6-867E42BCF5F4.jpeg

gullfo

New Home Studio Build

Postby gullfo » Tue, 2022-Aug-09, 10:28

that would be fine. small edge gaps will not be significant with porous surfaces in this case.

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Tue, 2022-Aug-09, 16:38

gullfo wrote:Source of the post you could use the lower density into the corners and then face it with the semi-rigid to make is nice and even. this will also improve the overall absorption. and if it gets too "dry", adding some slats to restore some HF reflection will be useful as well.

Hi Glenn,

I keep hearing conflicting opinions about choice of absorption material for corner bass traps. I’m talking about ones over 12” deep and really much deeper like 25”-40”. The general consensus I’ve learned hear is for traps that deep a low density/low resistivity fluffy insulation is best. You are saying that adding 2” to 4” of rigid fiberglass to the face of these panels over the fluffy is even better. I would love to get some informed opinions on which is better or what the differences really are. Thanks for your time & expertise,

Jason

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Tue, 2022-Aug-09, 16:38

Soulshaker Studios wrote:Source of the post

Hi Glenn,

I keep hearing conflicting opinions about choice of absorption material for corner bass traps. I’m talking about ones over 12” deep and really much deeper like 25”-40”. The general consensus I’ve learned hear is for traps that deep a low density/low resistivity fluffy insulation is best. You are saying that adding 2” to 4” of rigid fiberglass to the face of these panels over the fluffy is even better. I would love to get some informed opinions on which is better or what the differences really are. Thanks for your time & expertise,

Jason

gullfo

New Home Studio Build

Postby gullfo » Tue, 2022-Aug-09, 20:33

it can be confusing: large loose strand insulation tends to function better on LF because the transform of acoustic energy to heat with longer fibers. however, there are benefits from more dense semi-rigid insulation on the face as it is disrupting to quarter wave velocity - inbound and out.

if you wanted to get even more - a layer of MLV loosely hung (think bass drumhead completely loose) and sealed across the front. the loose (limp) membrane is terrible at acoustic energy transmission (worse than air) and as a mass transition as well, interferes with the velocity. then the layer of semi-rigid and finally the loose light insulation. pressure with nowhere to go except back through the layers. there are even more internal things you can do to traps like hard panels which alternate to cover 60% on each level with 2-3 levels separated by say 2" or so. this forms a "long path" which allows the acoustic energy easy movement between the plates (insulation) and the panels themselves are damped dense absorption (again velocity disruption and mass sinks basically) and then the torturous path back... complex? sure. but then you could also then use a light mass panel on the front - like a slotted poly-cylindrical plywood to provide scatter, panel absorption, slot resonance, and corner trapping... and if you wanted to go further - optimized chambers behind each section to provide "air" stiffness to match the slot distribution... :)

anyways for the money and pain, the simple corner trap of soft insulation with a face of semi-rigid generally works well as a starting point...

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Mon, 2022-Aug-15, 15:06

IMG_1332.jpg
Hi All,

I'm simply going to fill the corner traps with remaining low density/low resistivity insulation. I'm not sure if I should leave the traps open where airflow would travel back and forth between the top of corner traps and bottom of soffit traps or should I close off the top of the corner trap and the bottom of the soffit making them separate airtight traps.

Thank you
Attachments
IMG_1366 (3).jpg

gullfo

New Home Studio Build

Postby gullfo » Mon, 2022-Aug-15, 17:23

unless you're planning on adding some resonator type features, i'd leave it open.