New Home Studio Build

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Wed, 2022-Jul-06, 23:22

ericwisgikl wrote:Source of the post Hey Jason!

I hope you're doing well.

Could you upload some REW measurements before and after that big trap? In order to compare and see what benefits the trap give to you.

Thank you and congratulations for the progress.

Eric

Hi Eric! Yes I plan to do just that. I need to download and study REW and definitely get a reading with the room cleared out before filling bass trap and another afterwards!

ericwisgikl

New Home Studio Build

Postby ericwisgikl » Fri, 2022-Jul-08, 08:43

Soulshaker Studios wrote:Source of the post Hi Eric! Yes I plan to do just that. I need to download and study REW and definitely get a reading with the room cleared out before filling bass trap and another afterwards!

Great then!

endorka

New Home Studio Build

Postby endorka » Sun, 2022-Jul-10, 17:44

Soulshaker Studios wrote:Source of the post Received these numbers from Owens Corning regarding
their EcoTouch low density (fluffy) insulation:
R-11 = 2450 mks rayls/m
R-13 = 3500 mks rayls/m
R-15 = 5000 mks rayls/m
R-19 = 2900 mks rayls/m

The chap here recommends 3500 for a 40cm deep trap; https://www.jochenschulz.me/en/blog/rockwool-glasswool-hemp-best-absorber-material

You can model the behaviour of various depths of trap and GFR on this website. Note that these are models and consequently will have limitations. Many people have found them to be useful though. http://www.acousticmodelling.com/8layers/porous.php

Using a depth of 780mm for your traps, the 2450 mks rayls/m gives better low frequency absorption than the 3500 mks rayls/m.
Capture.PNG

To get quoted text in these posts, highlight the text you'd like to quote then click the "Quote" button above the text reply box.

Cheers!
Jennifer

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Tue, 2022-Jul-12, 22:46

I can get my hands on John Mansville R-30 insulation with 1673 rayls per meter. I’ll be dead on for my bass trap. I picked a roll of regular chicken wire but also saw this material. It’s tempting to use because it’s width is already perfect for my trap and it’s a little more rigid and easier to handle. My only worry is that it could be of detriment to sound passing thru it. The sheet is 1/8” thick. The holes are 3/8” x 1/2” openings. Do you see any concerns?
E364D5DD-1A15-4FFD-80B1-053D6D94613E.jpeg
4CB8E64F-22D9-4A44-9472-B8BDE69AA797.jpeg
2F5EEF14-DF93-4E67-BBCE-4D606C13661B.jpeg
endorka wrote:Source of the post m

The chap here recommends 3500 for a 40cm deep trap; https://www.jochenschulz.me/en/blog/roc ... r-material

You can model the behaviour of various depths of trap and GFR on this website. Note that these are models and consequently will have limitations. Many people have found them to be useful though. http://www.acousticmodelling.com/8layers/porous.php

Using a depth of 780mm for your traps, the 2450 mks rayls/m gives better low frequency absorption than the 3500 mks rayls/m.

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Wed, 2022-Jul-20, 20:03

Hi all,

I finished building my Trap and have a friend coming Friday to analyze the room with Smaart software. Any concerns with using Smaart instead of REW? I’m clearing the whole room and after he does readings I’m gonna fill trap with insulation and we will re analyze. I will post results here. If there’s any advice I’m all ears.

Thanks for your time & expertise,

Jason
Attachments
B8B891F0-FBCE-4409-BA46-8C45CCEAA85A.jpeg

ericwisgikl

New Home Studio Build

Postby ericwisgikl » Thu, 2022-Jul-21, 09:39

Hi Jason,

As far as I know, and maybe I'm wrong but, with Smaart you won't get some relevant data, such as waterfall and spectogram. Mostly data related to decay times.

Instead, the most important data you'll get, will be about time alignment, phase, frequency response, etc., more relevant for live and system tuning aplications.

Certainly that info is useful but I don't know how clear will be the differences between treated vs untreated room without knowing much about decay times.

Maybe your friend could make some measurements with REW too. It's free and very intuitive.

All the best,

Eric

endorka

New Home Studio Build

Postby endorka » Fri, 2022-Jul-22, 18:29

Soulshaker Studios wrote:Source of the postAny concerns with using Smaart instead of REW?

What Eric has already said, and also might be worth mentioning that I don't know how many of us here have Smaart, but most of us have REW. So it might be easier for us to look at the results if you use REW.

Have you thought about where you'll be positioning the mic for the readings? It might be useful to try several different places, perhaps where you'll likely have different instruments. Make sure you take a very accurate note of these positions for the before & after measurements or the results won't be vaild to compare. I usually mark the floor directly below the mic capsule e.g. with a mark on some masking tape. I locate the mic capsule direct over it with a plumb bob.

The trap frame looks really well built by the way, nice one!

Cheers.
Jennifer

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Mon, 2022-Jul-25, 13:50

Thank you all,

Unfortunately my friend only works with smaart and didn't have time to try to incorporate REW. We did get a fair amount of readings in 3 locations in the room. Before and after filling the trap. I believe our mic placement was precisely replicated.
He used the balloon popping method. I know he does have waterfall and decay times capability ands I'm checking with him for spectogram. He's sending me all of that data and WAV files of the recordings. Hopefully it will be of some use if not I can already say the room does sound better. I played my drum set and the low end and decay time was much better. Everything including electric/acoustic guitar, bass amp and even vocals singing/speech sound clearer and more even/smooth EQ wise. I will post the data here as soon as I get it and hope its usable for your interpretation.

Jason
IMG_0955.JPG

endorka

New Home Studio Build

Postby endorka » Mon, 2022-Jul-25, 15:50

A very encouraging start. I'm marveling again at the construction of the trap, it is really well done. I like how you've made it start at the same height as the door frame. If you cover the trap well it will blend superbly into the room and look very deliberate, for want of a better word. Like it is part of the building rather than an add-on.

ericwisgikl

New Home Studio Build

Postby ericwisgikl » Tue, 2022-Jul-26, 15:37

Congratulations!

If you have the .wav files, you could upload them here, and then we could put them into REW and see the improvements.

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Wed, 2022-Jul-27, 14:11

Great,

I will post the WAV files tonight.

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Wed, 2022-Jul-27, 23:18

ericwisgikl wrote:Congratulations!

If you have the .wav files, you could upload them here, and then we could put them into REW and see the improvements.

Hi,

attached are the WAV files from the Smaart Impulse Responses. When I uploaded they became unorganized. The way to look at these files is:

It says trap when the trap is treated. It says untreated when empty. It says panels and trap when the trap is treated and I brought in 8 broadband absorption panels that are 4' x 7' x 4" deep rigid 703. Some have 2nd takes as labeled. There are measurements taken from 2 different positions of popping balloons and 3 different mic positions. Thank you to any that interpret this data & provide feedback. I appreciate your time and expertise.

Jason Newcomb

panels and trap pos 2 mic pos cntr.wav
(422.46 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
panels and trap pos 2 mic pos cntr.wav
(422.46 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
untreated pos 2 ctr take 2.wav
(771.78 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
untreated pos 2 ctr take 2.wav
(771.78 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
untreated pos 2 ctr.wav
(501.52 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
untreated pos 2 ctr.wav
(501.52 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
trap, pos 2 cntr take 2.wav
(731.46 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
trap, pos 2 cntr take 2.wav
(731.46 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
trap,pos 2 cntr mic.wav
(498.6 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
trap,pos 2 cntr mic.wav
(498.6 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
untreated pos 1 mic pos 2.wav
(665.46 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
untreated pos 1 mic pos 2.wav
(665.46 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
trap,pos 1 mic pos 2.wav
(636.74 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
trap,pos 1 mic pos 2.wav
(636.74 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
panels and trap pos 1 mic cntr.wav
(423.68 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
panels and trap pos 1 mic cntr.wav
(423.68 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
untreated pos 1 cntr mic-take 2.wav
(700.94 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
untreated pos 1 cntr mic-take 2.wav
(700.94 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
untreated pos 1- cntr mic.wav
(2.34 MiB) Downloaded 251 times
untreated pos 1- cntr mic.wav
(2.34 MiB) Downloaded 251 times
trap,pos 1 center mic-take 2.wav
(911.59 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
trap,pos 1 center mic-take 2.wav
(911.59 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
trap,pos 1-center mic.wav
(199.21 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
trap,pos 1-center mic.wav
(199.21 KiB) Downloaded 243 times

endorka

New Home Studio Build

Postby endorka » Fri, 2022-Jul-29, 03:08

I've downloaded a couple of the before trap / after trap readings and imported them into REW. However, I'm not yet confident with commenting about them here as I'm not sure if there are any differences between interpreting these and the usual readings. For example, some of the readings seemed to have very different SPL levels than others. I was able to align them for comparison in the "All SPL" chart, but couldn't work out how to do this for spectrogram and waterfall.

Does anyone have any tips about importing and interpreting impulse charts of this type into REW?

Cheers!
Jennifer

Soulshaker Studios

New Home Studio Build

Postby Soulshaker Studios » Fri, 2022-Jul-29, 06:20

endorka wrote:Source of the post I've downloaded a couple of the before trap / after trap readings and imported them into REW. However, I'm not yet confident with commenting about them here as I'm not sure if there are any differences between interpreting these and the usual readings. For example, some of the readings seemed to have very different SPL levels than others. I was able to align them for comparison in the "All SPL" chart, but couldn't work out how to do this for spectrogram and waterfall.

Does anyone have any tips about importing and interpreting impulse charts of this type into REW?

Cheers!
Jennifer

Thanks,

I know Eric said they could be uploaded into REW for readings so it seems possible. It appears that he has downloaded the files as well so hopefully he will chime in.

ericwisgikl

New Home Studio Build

Postby ericwisgikl » Fri, 2022-Jul-29, 12:32

I've done the same and got that problem too.

I've managed to align SPL levels, and my conclusions are that it surely got better. There are less resonances, and I'm sure it feels tighter in there, so it is a great improvement.

However, my skills are not very developed yet in order to get a pro analysis of the situation, and I'm not confident at getting ultimate conclusions.

Also, being balloons the source, it's even harder, because every balloon sounds different, and give us similar but not 100% equivalent responses.

All that being said, congratulations and keep moving forward, you are in good way. Trust your ears and taste, and if you can, learn how to use REW and do some measurements with a consistent source in order to learn what's left for future improvement.

All the best,

Eric