Studio Build- Central Portugal

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Tue, 2020-Oct-27, 07:10

Yes.. they came for one day and I have not seen or heard from them in 10 days.. Just crazy... The way things work or don't work in Portugal is enough to drive one mad but you just have to work with the system, no matter how dysfunctional. Anyway, I have started my studio fundraiser and feel free to share and contribute.. THanks.. I will post more as soon as anything happens..
peace

[url]https://igg.me/at/drspace-studio-portugal
[/url]

SoWhat

Postby SoWhat » Tue, 2020-Oct-27, 12:46

Greetings Dr. Space,

they came for one day and I have not seen or heard from them in 10 days

I think they forgot to tell you they were finished.

All kidding aside, that's just awful.

All the best,

Paul

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Wed, 2020-Nov-04, 15:43

Good to finally see some progress there, Ricardo! That's great! :thu:

- Stuart -

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Sun, 2020-Nov-22, 07:03

Well, it seems that me making a studio is meant to cause enormous stress, frustration and as many problems as possible. Problems with the design, 18 months of waiting to get a permit, choosing the wrong builder who fucked me around for 9 months and worked one day and disappeared. Now I have fired him and have to start the process of finding another builder. It is very frustrating. I will post again when I have found another builder and have some good news.

I did start a fundraiser but since everything is on hold it has done very poorly and covid is not helping the situation either.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-me-to-build-a-music-studio--2/x/23055488#/

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Tue, 2021-Feb-23, 15:16

Construction will start on March 8th. I will post pictures once a week. This friday, I will meet with the builder and Joules Newell and we will discuss some aspects of the inside of the building and where to run the conduits in the foundation for the cables, etc... Exciting after an absolute nightmare of a time the last couple of years. What a hassle.. Anyway.. almost there... :D

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Tue, 2021-Feb-23, 16:45

That is good news. I will be looking forward to seeing photos of the build.

.dio.

Postby .dio. » Wed, 2021-Feb-24, 13:57

So now is a Newell design or do you keep What Stuart did?

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Fri, 2021-Feb-26, 13:30

GREAT NEWS.. Had a meeting with the builder (Paul) and Joules Newell and Joe Fossard, the two guys who will build the inside the of the studio from Newell Acoustic engineering!
http://www.newellacousticengineering.com/

March 8th- The digger will arrive and they have two days to move out the rest of the material from the ruin and prepare the area for the crane.
March 10th- The crane company will come to set up the crane. This is still questionable though as the insurance from the crane company will not cover if the crane falls on our house in a storm. The builders insurance does not cover it and the builder tried with two different companies to take out insurance and neither would do it, both saying it was the crane company that has to be insured. So, we don't know 100% about the crane but it will make getting the materials a lot easier down to the ruin and save at least 1-2 weeks the builder estimates.
The building will take 8 weeks if weather is good and nothing unforeseen happens. It was also agreed that Paul would do the basic framing of the live room and entrance room and Joules would do the control room.
In the next weeks I hope that Joules will translate the original studio design from Stuart's Sketch up into a CAD drawing and provide a basic materials list and cost estimate. If all goes as plans Joules will come in early-mid June to do the rest. 4-6 weeks work. Wow...
I will keep you all posted with pictures.
Feeling good!! :D