Studio Build- Central Portugal

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
endorka

Postby endorka » Thu, 2022-Sep-15, 06:37

Getting the low frequencies less resonant will be a massive help for acoustic drums in the room. I speak from experience - I record drums at the back of my control room, sometimes with other musicians in the same room. Everyone is on headphones, and it's been fine. I'd say the way to go is deep insulation with a low GFR. Perhaps you can make good use of your high ceiling for some of this.

Building some gobos to surround the drum kit might also help a little. You'll need gobos with one side as a hard back to get isolation, the insulation alone won't do it. Sometimes people even add a "roof" to this for even more isolation!

Jason built a really useful and good looking bass trap in his live room recently, check out his thread;

viewtopic.php?t=25&start=30

Cheers!
Jennifer

psb_87

Postby psb_87 » Fri, 2022-Sep-16, 09:56

You could install a trap similar to what you have on your rear wall in your control room across one wall, then do some soffit traps all the way around the top of the walls/ceiling - this way you don't use floor space but have some nice broad control down to 100hz or so (depending on depth of traps) We typically make the Newell rear wall traps 0.6m - 1.m and the soffits are usually 0.4m-0.6m in height and width. You can make some simple frames from 2x2s, fill with insulation, cover with fabric. You can even install some LED lighting in the bottom face of the traps for a bit more ambiance.

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Fri, 2022-Sep-16, 14:57

endorka wrote:Source of the post Getting the low frequencies less resonant will be a massive help for acoustic drums in the room. I speak from experience - I record drums at the back of my control room, sometimes with other musicians in the same room. Everyone is on headphones, and it's been fine. I'd say the way to go is deep insulation with a low GFR. Perhaps you can make good use of your high ceiling for some of this.

>Building some gobos to surround the drum kit might also help a little. You'll need gobos with one side as a hard back to get isolation, the >insulation alone won't do it. Sometimes people even add a "roof" to this for even more isolation!

Yes.. Joules and I built 3 of these with hard backs and we had 2 of them enclosing the drum kit but it was still too loud.

Jason built a really useful and good looking bass trap in his live room recently, check out his thread;

https://www.digistar.cl/Forum/viewtopic ... 5&start=30

Nice.. I am thinking we just need them in the corners to start....

Cheers!
Jennifer

Thanks.
scott

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Fri, 2022-Sep-16, 14:59

psb_87 wrote:Source of the post You could install a trap similar to what you have on your rear wall in your control room across one wall, then do some soffit traps all the way around the top of the walls/ceiling - this way you don't use floor space but have some nice broad control down to 100hz or so (depending on depth of traps) We typically make the Newell rear wall traps 0.6m - 1.m and the soffits are usually 0.4m-0.6m in height and width. You can make some simple frames from 2x2s, fill with insulation, cover with fabric. You can even install some LED lighting in the bottom face of the traps for a bit more ambiance.

Thanks Paul.... unfortunately, I can not sacrifice a meter of the live room to put in bass trapping like what is in the control room. It would cost a lot of money to do that for the entire back wall up to 4.2m in the back.. I will start with trying to just trap the bass in the corners..

Peace
scott

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Sat, 2022-Oct-22, 06:48

Dr Space wrote:Source of the postI will also have some small carpets so we can adjust the room that way as necessary.

Scott, take care regarding carpets because they are only thick enough to trap higher frequencies. Gobos will dampen a broader range of frequencies, far better than a few small carpets.

On the other hand, I find a small carpets work well under singers' feet as it dampens their foot tapping on the solid floor.

endorka

Postby endorka » Sun, 2022-Oct-23, 08:40

Starlight wrote:Source of the post
Scott, take care regarding carpets because they are only thick enough to trap higher frequencies. Gobos will dampen a broader range of frequencies, far better than a few small carpets.

On the other hand, I find a small carpets work well under singers' feet as it dampens their foot tapping on the solid floor.

Total agreement here, I have several doormats I keep hand for this and similar purposes.

These days I don't even like the sound of drums on a carpet or rug in the studio. I ask the drummer to set them up on my wooden riser, it gives a wonderful full and open sound, with just enough liveness to keep the excitement. Perhaps because of the reflections from the bottom of the kit coming back up, I've never felt the need for a mic under the snare.

The drummer in a session a few months ago was skeptical and wanted to use his carpet. I suggested he try it without the carpet first, and he loved the sound. The carpet stayed rolled up in his car :D

Cheers!
Jennifer

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Sun, 2022-Oct-23, 14:28

i use a thin hard carpet on my platforms simply to hide the scratching and holes in the plywood top. it also helps a bit to keep things from moving around...

endorka

Postby endorka » Sun, 2022-Oct-23, 18:37

gullfo wrote:Source of the post i use a thin hard carpet on my platforms simply to hide the scratching and holes in the plywood top. it also helps a bit to keep things from moving around...

Ha, yes, that's the thing. I try to make sure the spikes from bass drum and hi-hat pedals aren't digging in from beneath their rubber pads too much. Sometimes I use the aforementioned doormats for this purpose, they are small enough to keep most of the riser plywood uncovered.

I like to keep the plywood top on the riser as good as possible, but ultimately view it as far more expendable than the wooden floor :ahh:

Cheers!
Jennifer

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Wed, 2023-Oct-04, 07:41

Hello Everyone.. Seems I disappered for a year... Anyway.. it has been a great year like 10 albums have been recorded and mixed, etc in the studio now and 13hrs of jams were recorded in Sept by my band, Øresund Space Collective!

I have managed to install bass traps in all the corners and we have made a sort of drum cage with plexiglass panels and then some bass traps hanging from the ceiling and I have to say this has smoothed out the room great and it very pleasant for bands and we get an excellent drum sound still..

Headphone monitoring is working well also... the only thing that is not working and is very frustrating is the ability to record video from the live room. We have two very good cameras installed one each side of the live room and this runs into the RGB link mini+. You can see both cameras on the screen. This is interfaced wtih USB to the mac mini and you can see the cameras in the OBS software but when you try to record, all you get is a still image, like a screen shot of the software and no active video feed??? I have to admit, all this video stuff is not my forte.. and has been much less important than making great recordings. But I really want to get it to work. Any ideas??

Here are some updated pictures. Enjoy and thanks....
Attachments
7D88C230-8C50-490E-A5E7-03C01826AD5D_1_105_c.jpeg
351D9DF3-8808-489E-97AC-D711DDD51AF6_1_105_c.jpeg
6044B908-0B69-41D5-BCB7-F59754D2E82B_1_105_c.jpeg
CEB9ED62-CCC9-4120-A08D-3712E54F7486_1_105_c.jpeg
A98BA94E-AB25-4544-A308-BB0E9374880C_1_105_c.jpeg
FDBE9FC3-6478-47E0-A00A-891DADE1BE77_1_105_c.jpeg
14C80EFA-9104-4204-A327-993CE6941389_1_105_c.jpeg
4505C8C0-1602-4FC5-8A80-3E0107BC3117_1_105_c.jpeg
8228AEB1-E46F-490D-833D-581B1F1A84BB_1_105_c.jpeg

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Thu, 2023-Oct-05, 10:30

are you using the same mac for both your DAW and the video? if so, firstly i'd use a separate device to handle the video so you have that out of the way of the DAW processing (and vice versa). video and audio processing together on a single system can easily result in stalling / glitching behaviours.

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Thu, 2023-Oct-26, 07:54

Hello Glenn

No.. I have a separate MacMini to do all the video stuff... share the same screen but different computer. I am thinking maybe I need to bypass the RGB link device for now. (If we ever get high speed internet, we it could be useful for live streaming bands from the studio).

Get a splitter box that can take the input from 2 cameras into one HDMI input into the computer and find suitable software to record the camera outputs that way.. I am not a video guy at all.

Studio is running well now and making some great recordings.
peace
scott

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Thu, 2023-Oct-26, 11:01

the open broadcast system (OBS) is free software and many folks use it for live and editing. (although diVinci Resolve - also free -- is a better editor). you'd probably find lots of info on how to set up the video system with multiple cameras etc. my understanding for multiple cameras which are not USB or otherwise networked, use a video "mixer" which enables physical camera connections to be switched and cross faded etc.

Dr Space

Postby Dr Space » Fri, 2024-Jan-05, 16:18

Happy new year.... I have the RGBmini.link+ but can not get this interfaced properly with the mac Mini.. I have tried all sorts of things and nothing seems to work. Very frustrating. Still can not record video from the 2 studio cameras. Rest of the studio is working perfect.. Making lots of great recordings and mixes...
Hope you all have a good year.
peace
scott

:D