Building Studio 45 - My Home Based Studio

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
gullfo

Postby gullfo » Wed, 2023-Apr-05, 13:26

you're never going to win the "slacker of the year" award if you keep going at this rate :-) lol

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Wed, 2023-Apr-05, 20:16

gullfo wrote:Source of the post you're never going to win the "slacker of the year" award if you keep going at this rate :-) lol

:lol: :lol:

hahaha well it's taken me quite some time to plan all this out for sure but the one thing I recall is Stuart telling me very early on that the planning is what would take the most time out of the build and I truly believe that to be true. :lol:

It sure is very rewarding now actually seeing progress versus always trying to figure out problems ;)

So while I'm at it I may as well share some more progress :D

Another module and more trusses go up. I started using my grandfather's old Black & Decker router and using a flush trimming bit to ensure the OSB and drywall have smooth sides and I must say it's working out very well.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2107.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_210c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2111.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_210f.jpg

Here I'm starting the other side wall. Basically a repeat of what I did on the other side with a few changes. So much custom work you learn on the go so I've adapted to certain situations.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2117.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2118.jpg

Here you can see the conduit I'm using and covering with more insulation. I'll be using this for running cables between the two rooms.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_211e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2120.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2124.jpg

I decided I will be using the Guilford of Maine FR701 fabric for covering all my walls in the control room so I ordered the samples so I can pick a color scheme. This is something I didn't really account for in the planning.....so many pretty colors to choose from. What's your color scheme? What's your favorite colors? :) So far I'm thinking of using two colors. I'd like a darker color for accents and lighter color on the sloped walls. I'm planning to use some RGB LED PAR lighting so if I want to change colors I need something that's going to be neutral.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2125.jpg

Here's the rest of the trusses going up :)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_212d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_212f.jpg

Once again you can see the extra 3.5" of insulation filling the gap between the outer and inner walls
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2135.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2143.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_214b.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2151.jpg

Allo done on one side :). On to the next one to finish the structural framing part.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2155.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2156.jpg

Hope you're enjoying :). I'll post some more later.

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Wed, 2023-Apr-05, 21:18

Hope you're enjoying
Hell yeah! Enjoying every single photo and comment. And just wondering if your day job is something like cabinet maker, precision carpenter, or some such! That's some excellent work there.

- Stuart -

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Sun, 2023-Apr-09, 22:30

Soundman2020 wrote:Source of the post
Hope you're enjoying
Hell yeah! Enjoying every single photo and comment. And just wondering if your day job is something like cabinet maker, precision carpenter, or some such! That's some excellent work there.

- Stuart -

Awesome! I'm glad you're enjoying! It's funny you mention carpentry because my grandfather was actually one and growing up I used to love going to his shop and watching him use all kinds of cool machinery and tools. Through him and my dad I learned a lot about woodworking and I've also had the chance to work in various other trades so it has certainly helped me a lot during this studio build.

I've made a career as a software engineer/developer and I've had a passion for playing and creating music since I was a very young child. This studio build has been a dream of mine for such a long time and am trying my best to get the best results possible. I'm glad to be able to share and show the overall process all use all the information that I've learned from sites like these, specially Stuart and others that have spent the time to help all of us. Truly grateful!

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Sun, 2023-Apr-09, 23:02

Here's the remainder of the structural framing.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2158.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_215a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2164.jpg

Here I closed off the room by putting up the 3/4 OSB on the back wall. I still need to install the drywall on the outside before hooking up the duct system to the baffle boxes.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2162.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2163.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2166.jpg

The last picture was taken from where the live room will be. Still lots of work to be done there as I need to figure out how I'm going to hang the ducts going from the ground to the ceiling.

Next up was to frame and install on the ceiling modules. I'm happy I had a few friends nearby that could come out and help out here and there to raise the modules in place. I think there might have been beers consumed during this process. :lol:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2169.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_216d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_216f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_217e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2184.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_219c.jpg

Ceiling modules all done! :).
I still have a lot of sealant to apply around all the baffle box sleeves and everywhere else to seal everything off properly. I do have to say though that I'm happy that each of the modules fit very tightly in their place so there's no big gaps. Sealing the room overall should go really well.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_219e.jpg

I'm currently finishing up all the remaining modules for each side/sloped wall. I have a total of 12 modules to. build and have about 6 done. I'm hoping before end of next week I'll have all them done and installed. I'll make sure to post back once I'm done. :)

Next up will be:

- Put Acoustic Sealant in every crack and around the sleeves.
- Electrical rough-in.
- Install Rockwool Safe & Sound acoustic insulation and cover with some sort of fabric
- Order and install Guilford of Maine FR701 fabric.
- Wooden Trim to cover all the structural beams.

I do have a question and looking for recommendations regarding what to put on the walls/ceilings to cover the rockwool insulation. I'd like something that will hold the fibers from the insulation. I don't want the nice GoM fabric to be stuffed with insulation. I've seen a few guys use and put up cheap black/dark grey landscaping fabric before the good stuff. So far that's what I'm thinking but I'm sure there are other options. Anything you guys would recommend?

Cheers!

Francis,

ACSlater

Postby ACSlater » Thu, 2023-May-11, 16:32

Excellent build and great you share a lot of photo's

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Thu, 2023-Jun-29, 00:29

Studio45 wrote:Source of the post I do have a question and looking for recommendations regarding what to put on the walls/ceilings to cover the rockwool insulation. I'd like something that will hold the fibers from the insulation. I don't want the nice GoM fabric to be stuffed with insulation. I've seen a few guys use and put up cheap black/dark grey landscaping fabric before the good stuff. So far that's what I'm thinking but I'm sure there are other options. Anything you guys would recommend?
Right! Any type of inexpensive black cloth will do. I normally use a fine-weave cloth, so it blocks the light from getting through and also provides a bit of high-frequency return (not much, but some), as well as keeping any loose fibers in place. Then cover that with your final finish fabric.

The reason you want to block light is that if you don't, then from some angles you might be able see straight through your finish fabric, into the ugly wall interior, especially if your finish fabric is a coarse weave.

- Stuart -

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Tue, 2023-Nov-21, 22:35

Hello everyone! it's been a minute....or two :lol:

I've been a very busy SOB the last few months and am excited to share more progress with you all. We've had a productive summer around the property and now that the cold is here, I have time to spend on the studio build.

Structure Modules
So where was I again?.......oh right, modules! In my last post, I showed all the completed ceiling modules. Next up was all the modules for the sloped ceilings and well, it was modules of fun building each and every unit and it was even more fun installing all those very heavy modules into their respective place. Here's a few pictures of that process.

For every row of modules the first thing I needed was to build some sort of stand/jig for each level to help raise and keep the modules in place just right to insert and secure them in their place.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21e3.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_21e2.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_220f.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2210.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_23f8.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_23fa.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2425.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_241a.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_241f.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2421.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2426.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2428.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2427.jpg

:D :D :D Modules Completed and Installed :D :D :D

Applying Sealant
Alrighty! Next step was applying noiseproofing sealant in all the areas where I had any cracks or gaps. I ended up using this product from Soprema. I ended up using roughly 8-10 tubes of this stuff. It's great to work with and washes off easily but I ended up having issues with my caulking gun and had to cut open most of the tubes and scrapping up a good portion of the material and applying it manually.
IMG_9676.jpeg

I reached the max number of pictures to attach in a post so I will post more pics tomorrow. I'm going to spend the rest of the evening working in the studio and continue the electrical rough-in :)

Cheers!

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Wed, 2023-Nov-22, 12:35

<snark> erm, don't know if you noticed, you put the panels in backwards. they're all inside-out... :ahh: nice work and looking good!

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Wed, 2023-Nov-22, 14:03

gullfo wrote:<snark> erm, don't know if you noticed, you put the panels in backwards. they're all inside-out... :ahh: nice work and looking good!

DOH!! :lol: :lol:

I've been asked that question a lot about the inside-out concept from the general public.

Thanks man. It's coming along! I just finished the electrical rough-in last night and will be sharing some details around that soon. I've picked out my color scheme and will be ordering some Guilford of Maine fabric tonight. I will also be going to get a few more bags of Rockwool Safe'n Sound insulation as well as some cheap fine-weave fabric that I'll use as a first layer. If all goes well, I will be starting the insulation over the weekend.

Cheers!

Francis,

Studio45

Postby Studio45 » Thu, 2023-Nov-30, 01:43

Here's all the sealant applied pretty much everywhere there was any sort of gap. ;)
1.jpg

Here I'm showing the gap that separates the baffle box sleeve and control room's inner leaf. I had very limited space to reach and work with my caulking gun so I had to make an extension piece to put on top of the sealant tube tip/nozzle. All I did was used a piece of 1/4"I.D flexible plastic hose of roughly 5 inches long, heated one end and flattened roughly the last 1" of the inch down to about 1/8" of tube. This was so it would fit inside the 1/4" gap to spread the sealant far enough. I think it did a good job.
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

All done! Cheers! :mrgreen:
6.jpg

Here are the 3 fabric colors I have chosen for my color scheme. :)
8.jpg

Next up is finishing the electrical rough-in so I will be making another detailed post about my electrical plan and circuits. It's another area that has brought some more unexpected costs and troubles but it has to get done ;). I figure all the work is being done by me so at least labour is cheap haha.

Stay tuned for Electrical

Cheers!

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Thu, 2023-Nov-30, 11:30

nice! caulk is your friend. you will learn to hate caulk, but caulk is still your friend. cheers!