Salem Oregon conference center studio

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
Guit-picker

Postby Guit-picker » Mon, 2021-Jul-05, 18:45

I have my suspicions as to the cause in your case, but I don't want to rain on your parade... yet! After the ribbon-cutting celebration thing, then I'll tell you... :)

Uh Oh! Okay, I will be laying awake at night 'til then! :lol: Thanks, Stuart!
-Ron

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Tue, 2021-Aug-17, 11:55

Guit-picker wrote:Source of the post The leadership got a reality check and will schedule a ribbon-cutting sometime soon after July 16th.
Hey Ron.... that date came and went a while ago... just wondering if the official ceremony ever happened, and you are ready to do the "final" and "after the fact" tuning?

- Stuart -

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Tue, 2021-Aug-17, 13:55

I am sorry, Ron, that this slipped by me. After all your years of work on it and my being rather firm with you at a panic stage I would really love to know how the studio is doing and what the church's leadership thinks. Also, are you happy with it?

Guit-picker

Postby Guit-picker » Wed, 2021-Aug-25, 19:46

Hi Stuart and Starlight! Great to hear from you! Sorry that I'm so tardy about responding back. A lot going on over here. Here's the updates:
Hey Ron.... that date came and went a while ago... just wondering if the official ceremony ever happened, and you are ready to do the "final" and "after the fact" tuning?

- Stuart

I am sorry, Ron, that this slipped by me. After all your years of work on it and my being rather firm with you at a panic stage I would really love to know how the studio is doing and what the church's leadership thinks. Also, are you happy with it?

Yes, I made the "official declaration" that the studio construction is "complete" on June 25, 2021. This time of year is a crazy-hectic end-of-summer season where there is something going on every spare evening and weekend in a sort-of rush before school starts and summer ends. Just like my work experiences on the job, it kind-of resembled one of those "hurry up and wait" situations. ;) They announce the completion about 2 weeks ago during our church meeting announcements, which I wasn't expecting. A huge cheer went up! That being said, there is planned a "ribbon cutting celebration" when we can work it in. I think they might do it in two weekends when we have a west-coast gathering (hopefully they will let the friends from Canada through the border by then). So it's been sitting there and I am periodically doing cosmetic touch ups, ordering a couple of pieces of furniture, but everyone is busy at the moment.

Also, the ONE hopeful young guy that we were counting on taking the place as "Recording Engineer" got married last week to a young gal from Holland. I found out just a week ago that they changed their mind and are now planning to stay in Holland rather than here!!!! :ahh:

Our IT team just installed a Mac main computer with Logic installed, which I am not familiar with either (I'm a PC guy using Cuebase). This is studio meant for the youth to take the helm. We have some very talented performers, and some people with degrees in music and production, but nobody I would describe as solid "Sound Engineer Techy types". I may be temporarily standing in for that position and may have to go through a new learning curve. :|
I'm going on too long here :blah: but it is a little anti-climatic at this point. We will have an open house with lots of tours soon.
Stuart, I plan to continue with you on the weak bass issue and before that, readjust the cloud to see if I can make the one reflection there a little bit better (It was right at the -20dB mark). I have some loose glass rattling in one of the doors too, that needs repair with new seal.
I am literally about to head out the door for a loooong-delayed getaway for four days. I wanted to post this now for you guys before I go. I am planning on posting updated REW data after the conference that ends Sep, 19. Sooner, if I can find a way...
Here's the finished photos ("finished" is always a relative term! :lol: )

Control Room Views
CR_1.jpg

CR_2.jpg

Live Room 1 (Vocal Booth) views
LR1_1.jpg

LR1_2.jpg

Live Room 2 (Large room)
LR2_1.jpg

LR2_2.jpg

LR2_3.jpg

Live Room 3 (Entryway/extra vocal booth)
LR3_1.jpg

Exterior view. Entryway cover awaiting completion when maintenance gets around to it. Trim painting still pending. Cool new concrete sidewalk though!
Exterior_1.jpg

4-output Headphone distribution amps, wall mounted - One each in the small live rooms and two in the large room
HP_Amp_1.jpg

Also, another HP distribution amp at the rear loveseat behind the Sound Engineer.
That's a steel pedestal my friend made and I added the birch veneer and solid birch top "tray".
20210808_163225.jpg

That's it for now, hope you like it. Would like to hear your comments. :)
Attachments
Exterior_1.jpg

Soundman2020
Site Admin

Postby Soundman2020 » Wed, 2021-Aug-25, 21:36

Ron, all I can say is ... WOW! That place looks great. Congratulations! :yahoo: :thu:

And now look what you made me go and do! If you go the home page of the forum ( https://www.digistar.cl/Forum ), and scroll down a bit while looking at the sub-forum images in the left-hand column, you might see an image you are familiar with... :) (Hope you don't mind!) I've been meaning to do that for a while, but your post prompted me to actually go do it...

- Stuart -

Guit-picker

Postby Guit-picker » Tue, 2021-Aug-31, 17:05

Stuart,
Thanks so much for the compliments - that means a lot! I never thought I would see the day that the studio would be finished :yahoo: (Only took 6 years and 9 months of my "free time"!) .... let alone being first studio featured on the new "Completed Studio" section! 8-) :) What an honor!

We have a west-coast USA conference coming up mid-September and I expect there will be some sort of ribbon-cutting thing and an open house for the studio then. After that, there are a couple of additional enhancements, some tweaking and repairs and not least - that low amplitude dip below 95 Hz that appeared after the console desk was installed. That is the most important thing on the list and I hope I can get some guidance from you on that. I totally enjoyed getting away from it all for four glorious days on the Oregon coast! :D

For those of you who are just starting or mid-way through your project,
HANG IN THERE! I would encourage you to do careful research and when you get help from this extremely-helpful group of friends on this forum, don't forget to push the Donation button to show your appreciation for the FREE help you received. :poke: It's not "free" for Stuart, nor is the time "free" for the others who are eager to help you from their experience (AKA: the "school of hard knocks").

As I've stated before, this forum and the prior one, has saved my skin several times - averting really bad and costly mistakes that would have ruined my efforts. Many of these helps were from Stuart directly, but there were a few others too! I have told acquaintances who would like to build a studio that if they follow their own intuition on what to do, the project is doomed!..... because so much about sound is non-intuitive. Keep that in mind! That's why I'm thankful for this forum!
Gratefully,
Ron