New build small size high isolation project

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
Starlight

Postby Starlight » Thu, 2021-Jan-21, 17:30

It is good to hear from you, Tom, and really excellent to know that you are enjoying your building so much. And thank you for the help and inspiration your topic has been thus far.

When do you think you might be able to proceed towards completing the project, making it into a ventilated, heated or cooled studio?

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Thu, 2021-Jan-21, 18:37

Hi Starlight!

Well I have saved some funds and was planning on having some people to assist in installing the smaller silencers into the ceiling void in the next 2-3 weeks but with the situation I’m putting it back until spring... probably April! Plan is to get the HVAC system in next, and the actual studio door, then I can begin to treat the room!

- Success in music is being able to make music whatever your situation -

garethmetcalf

Postby garethmetcalf » Sat, 2021-Jan-23, 19:48

Nice to have an update from a fellow UK studio builder. I’m glad you’re making good use of the space even though it isn’t finished.

Thanks for sharing your costs, that makes me feel a bit better about how mine have been escalating. Thanks also for the tip earlier in your thread about U-Spec - I got some duct liner from them a week or so ago.

Cheers
Gareth

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Sat, 2021-Jan-23, 20:42

garethmetcalf wrote:Source of the post Thanks

You’re most welcome! Very glad it’s been of use!

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Sun, 2021-May-16, 19:15

Hi Studio Family!

I am sorry to report no actual progress has been made : )
I have written a fair bit in the room though : )

I have a friend who had a pair of passive Quested H210’s which he won’t use and a Quested amp which is actually a bit noisy...
He brought them back from Scotland as he was up there and wanted me to try them... I got them in the studio and I do like them!!!

I’m planning to buy them off him, quested say they can be soffit mounted but they are big! I think that they’ll be better than what I can now afford new...

Check em out:

58756997-E848-45E3-A643-46017343771B.jpeg

I genuinely will have some time to get the bloomin silencers installed soon! Also Covid restrictions mean that next week would be the first time it’s really permissible for me since last summer anyway.

Hope to post some exciting news on actually building soon!

endorka

Postby endorka » Mon, 2021-May-17, 03:48

Good to see you back Tom :D

I just looked up the specifications of those speakers, most excellent indeed.

Would a service reduce the noise from the amp or is it just made that way? Perhaps you could install it in your storage area if nothing can be done to reduce it.

Cheers!
Jennifer

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Mon, 2021-May-17, 04:47

Purelythemusic wrote:Source of the post... a Quested amp which is actually a bit noisy...
Given that Quested is a British manufacturer and in Honiton, only about 70 miles south of you, it might be worth contacting Roger and his team to see whether they would service the amp. Based on how bathroom fans get noisier as gunk builds up on them, maybe the fans could do with replacing in the amp - or something else that Quested would find and fix.

Personally, I think you have stumbled on a treasure with the Quested setup. I wasn't familiar with those speakers so looked them up; my goodness, they are large and 60kg. Did you hear that? 60kg each!

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Mon, 2021-May-17, 05:05

Great!

Thanks! Yea I have the same feeling of stumbling on a gem! They are heavy! Everything I have seems to be heavy : )

They aren’t the HQ210s on the website they’re the older H210’s.

The amp might well be best serviced indeed... it appears to be a heat sink design only, no fans... will look up the model number!

psb_87

Postby psb_87 » Mon, 2021-May-31, 03:53

Purelythemusic wrote:Source of the post Great!

Thanks! Yea I have the same feeling of stumbling on a gem! They are heavy! Everything I have seems to be heavy : )

They aren’t the HQ210s on the website they’re the older H210’s.

The amp might well be best serviced indeed... it appears to be a heat sink design only, no fans... will look up the model number!

Hey Tom,

I also have those speakers, Roger originally made them for Joan Armatrading. Nice to meet a fellow (potential) owner of these - there's not many of us but yes, you're right, they are absolutely incredible.

Mine came with two quested amps (which are actually rebadged Harrison Amps) for the HF and MF drivers, they had really noisy fans but I replaced the fans with quieter ones and it improved things. I'll still put them in the machine room though.

I'm also flush mounting mine in a solid, massive front wall which goes ceiling to floor/side to side.

Really nice build so far, its exactly how I would build my isolation assembly if I had the budget!

Oh and I am also originally from Bristol! lived there for about 25 years

Paul

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Thu, 2021-Jun-03, 02:17

Hi Paul!

Wow great to hear from someone else with these speakers!

I love Joan Armatrading’s music that’s lovely to know : )

I have a Quested D1500S amp and it has no fans... my speakers just have the one pair of terminals for wiring so sounds like yours may have been custom made in that way or a later edition as the new model HQ has that feature.

I spoke to Quested as I want to renew the Mid drivers amd possibly Tweeters. They informed me from the serial number than mine were a revision which used the same Mid’s and Tweeters as the current model which is also very reassuring but means I (and very likely you) can source replacements.

Cool that you used to live in Bristol!

Man I’m so keen to get some time back in there building...work is prosperous at the moment and I need to keep a couple of people sweet for it to continue. But I will get a couple of weeks in next available slot!

psb_87

Postby psb_87 » Thu, 2021-Jun-03, 05:37

Purelythemusic wrote:Source of the post Hi Paul!

Wow great to hear from someone else with these speakers!

I love Joan Armatrading’s music that’s lovely to know : )

I have a Quested D1500S amp and it has no fans... my speakers just have the one pair of terminals for wiring so sounds like yours may have been custom made in that way or a later edition as the new model HQ has that feature.

I spoke to Quested as I want to renew the Mid drivers amd possibly Tweeters. They informed me from the serial number than mine were a revision which used the same Mid’s and Tweeters as the current model which is also very reassuring but means I (and very likely you) can source replacements.

Cool that you used to live in Bristol!

Man I’m so keen to get some time back in there building...work is prosperous at the moment and I need to keep a couple of people sweet for it to continue. But I will get a couple of weeks in next available slot!

Sorry for the double post btw, I thought it didn't post the first time and then it turns out it did... but there seems to be no way to delete posts in this forum?

Anyway, that's way cool that you have the updated drivers. I spoke to Quested about updating the tweeters on mine and they told me it would need a new baffle and the total cost would be £600. Honestly though, Quested have been really dragging their feet with dealing with my questions... it has taken me 3 years to get to that point and I have been quite disappointed with their lack of urgency.

If you get a chance, could you do me a massive favour and get me the model numbers of your HF, MF, LF drivers so I can compare them with mine? Even some pictures would be ace. You can e-mail at hello@nightowlacoustics.co.uk

It'd be nice to come visit your studio sometime and discuss acoustics, music and Bristol!

Paul

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Tue, 2021-Jun-08, 02:03

Hi Paul,

Yea for sure! I’ll be ordering some mids… the Tweeters on mine are £90 each so better than changing the baffle but surely yours must be set up differently…they may not be compatible… I’ll take some pictures though when I get changing!
Be great to meet up for sure!

psb_87

Postby psb_87 » Fri, 2021-Jun-11, 10:17

Purelythemusic wrote:Source of the post Hi Paul,

Yea for sure! I’ll be ordering some mids… the Tweeters on mine are £90 each so better than changing the baffle but surely yours must be set up differently…they may not be compatible… I’ll take some pictures though when I get changing!
Be great to meet up for sure!

That would be great, I appreciate that

Purelythemusic

Postby Purelythemusic » Wed, 2021-Dec-01, 13:28

Friends,

I have Covid! Thankfully for me being double vaccinated, I am not suffering. I had a couple of days being unable to do much at all.

It means this is the first time I have had unplanned time off so during isolation I am rapidly getting back in mind the immediate next steps to move the studio on.

I have an HVAC company who are looking at my design requirements which after some personal research and how far the design had been taken (more or less all the way), I am clear what I need and why.
Critically I also have saved enough money to get it done.

I have also ordered all the bits to get the internal door done.

When I have reached a specific point on my job which will likely be late January, I will be getting almost a full month in the studio with a labourer and volunteers when required. I literally can't wait now! Still a right head pickle working out how to actually fit the silencers but I have a plan...unfortunately I do need to do some more self levelling in between the ceilings as my previous point is short of where it needs to be. I will update when the HVAC Plan is fully known.

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Wed, 2021-Dec-01, 15:09

Sorry to hear you have Covid, Tom.Hopefully it will not get any worse than it is.

That sounds like great news about the HVAC company, your plans and the possibility of a full month with help. Here's looking forward to reading about how it all goes. In the meantime, feel free to bounce ideas off other forummers if you need help from some creative or technical minds.