New dream house with studio and workshop.

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
endorka

Postby endorka » Tue, 2021-Nov-02, 09:57

I just re-read the last part of the thread concerning windows and sound isolation. It would appear that 17mm glass is on the lower end of the recommendations for around 50 dB isolation. Is that what you are still aiming for? Do you have the mass per area for this glass so the isolation estimates can be made?

This is way out of my expertise - I've never built a window before - but if the double window design allows for one to be built before the inner wall is constructed in theory why not? One concern I would have is for the buildup of dust, markings and damage during construction of the other wall. You might end up having to block or cover them up anyway to avoid this.

Cheers,
Jennifer

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Tue, 2021-Nov-02, 15:30

Thanks Jennifer. I am contemplating 2 layers of 17mm glass with an large air gap between them but if they need to be thicker then I am still at a stage where that can be done. I don’t have specific mass per m2 for it at this stage but I presume most glass falls within a very narrow range so regular glass should be a good starting point.

I am proposing to have each pane made from at least 3 layers laminated with acoustic glue. Stuart did a good post on how this worked out for his own house a while back. If it was good enough for @Soundman2020 its good enough for me :D I’ll try and find it again and reread his comments. (Edit x it was actually post #32 in this thread :lol: )

Good points about dust, marks etc during construction. I will probably need to cover them completely during that stage.

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Mon, 2022-Apr-04, 14:42

Now that the main house is finally finished I am able to start focusing on the Studio / Workshop at last.

Fitted the base track over the weekend and started installing the external insulation to the building today. I still have at least a couple of weeks work ahead of me before I can move inside.

I now need to really start driving forward on an actual design for the studio itself. I was really hoping Stuart would do the design but he hasn't been answering my emails or DM so I can only assume he is no longer available to take a n the project. With that being the case I need to find someone to take on designing a killer studio for me. Any good recommendations?

IMG20220404180537.jpg

IMG20220404121727.jpg

IMG20220404105221.jpg

IMG20220401110422.jpg

psb_87

Postby psb_87 » Sun, 2022-Apr-10, 15:04

Wheresthedug wrote:Source of the post Now that the main house is finally finished I am able to start focusing on the Studio / Workshop at last.

Fitted the base track over the weekend and started installing the external insulation to the building today. I still have at least a couple of weeks work ahead of me before I can move inside.

I now need to really start driving forward on an actual design for the studio itself. I was really hoping Stuart would do the design but he hasn't been answering my emails or DM so I can only assume he is no longer available to take a n the project. With that being the case I need to find someone to take on designing a killer studio for me. Any good recommendations?

IMG20220404180537.jpg

IMG20220404121727.jpg

IMG20220404105221.jpg

IMG20220401110422.jpg

I'm in the UK and I absolutely love Scotland! I'd love to design a studio there, send me an e-mail hello@wiseowlacoustics.com

Paul

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Tue, 2022-Apr-12, 05:45

psb_87 wrote:Source of the post
I'm in the UK and I absolutely love Scotland!

Everyone loves Scotland! You’d have to be totally insane not to :lol:

endorka

Postby endorka » Wed, 2022-Apr-20, 13:07

Incredible stuff there. All the best for finding a designer for the studio interior, it's going to be awesome when finished.

Cheers!
Jennifer

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Wed, 2022-Apr-20, 14:44

Thanks Jennifer. I’ve made good progress with the external insulation over the last two weeks. I’m now almost finished insulation and getting read to move on to cladding. Once I get a design pinned down I will move indoors.

I have a few people interested in taking on the project as it looks unlikely that Soundman2020, going to be available to do it.

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Wed, 2022-May-11, 14:09

I finally have a studio designer working on the plans so hopefully I will start to make some decent progress with the project over the next few month :D

endorka

Postby endorka » Fri, 2022-May-13, 10:30

Now you have the external shell built, how well is the sound isolation performing? I remember the discussions about log lorries and the like!

Cheers,
Jennifer

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Sat, 2022-May-14, 03:35

Still got to get the glass in before I can get anything meaningful but will update as soon as I know.

endorka

Postby endorka » Mon, 2022-May-16, 08:10

Ah, my apologies, I thought the glass outside was done and you were waiting to install the new glass on the inside room to room window :D

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Thu, 2022-Aug-11, 09:46

Well, I don’t always move fast but I get there in the end :lol:

I finally managed to get someone to do the external render on the studio. They still have a couple of little finishing touches to do this weekend but it is pretty much done now. Thats a huge weight off my mind, as I didn’t want to go through another winter without the final exterior finishes on.

I have managed to put on all the external insulation and battens for the timber cladding sections too. The larch cladding has been on site for a couple of weeks acclimatising while the render was done. I should get started the cladding next week. Hopefully it won’t take me too long as I have been “practicing” on the main house fixing the shit show that my cowboy joiners from hell left me with. Now that is finished I feel confident to get the building finished and move inside.

The studio designer I am working with has come up with some really good stuff so far and we are just getting ready to tidy up the last details of the main layout and treatment. Hopefully, I will be able to start framing in a couple of weeks.

When I designed the shell of the building with the architect I didn’t have a proper studio design ready but had to push on with the build. I made some basic guestimates about where to put the doors. Now that I have an acoustician handling the design it has become apparent that the control room door is in just about the worst place I could have chosen :cry: We had two options. Either leave it where it was and treat the hell out of the door itself OR brick up the old door opening and cut a new one. I decided to get someone to cut a door sized opening in the correct place and drill four 300mm holes through the concrete for the air intake and exhaust ducts. My son and I inserted two concrete lintels and I carefully removed all the bricks to reuse as many as possible bricking up the old door. I haven’t gotten round to bricking up the old door yet as the weather has been too good but it is high on the priority list for the coming weeks.

Two things are still giving me headaches though :

Firstly windows.

I have finally managed to find a supplier for the acoustic laminated glass. Its a long story but it turns out that there is lady in our tiny village who runs a glazing company. She is a good friend of another local that is a friend of mine (happens to be a great guitar player so we hit it off instantly) he put us in touch to see if she could help me. Long story short, as a favour to my friend she agreed to get me the glass at her supplier’s cost price which which is a MASSIVE saving over any other quotes I got. I will place the order with her next week once I have made the basic frames and can be absolutely certain about the finished glass size.

I intend to make the basic frames from C16 construction 2x4” (the same as the wall frames) then clad the outside in aluminium to match the commercial triple glazed windows in the main house. The inside hardwood bead will completely cover the rough 2x4 to give a clean and solid look.

Having read many threads and Rod’s book etc, I know that I will need suitable glazing tape or glazing gaskets. The problem is which ones? It looks like a minefield to try and negotiate. The biggest windows will weigh nearly 180kg each so presumably need a fairly robust rubber to support them.

Can anyone give me some advice and potential suppliers in the UK? The company I am getting the glass from use specific gaskets for their complete units but she said they wouldn’t be suitable for my windows.

The second headache is HVAC.

Paul and I have discussed the ventilation requirements including volume and velocity figures based on the rooms and expected use. I am comfortable installing the ducting etc but need to source the most appropriate AC units for my purposes here in the UK. I also see that some suppliers won’t sell to anyone unless they can supply proof that the system will be installed by a qualified engineer. They say it is due to legislation surrounding refrigerants. On the other hand, I have seen some places sell “pre-charged” systems. Does this get around the need for an engineer or do I still need someone to commission the system on completion? If so then it would obviously make sense to have them spec the system too.

I will try and up load some photos of progress later today.

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Mon, 2022-Aug-15, 09:47

I thought I could edit the last post to add pictures but can't seem to figure it out so here they are.

IMG20220803142353#1.jpg

IMG20220727153944.jpg

IMG20220727153916.jpg

IMG20220710194059.jpg

IMG20220710194035.jpg

IMG20220815141146.jpg

I even managed to drag my wife into helping with the battens

IMG20220710172133.jpg

Hard to get good workers these days

IMG20220709152543.jpg

My son helping move the doorway

IMG20220730104101.jpg

IMG20220730104119.jpg

IMG20220730163555.jpg

IMG20220730154141.jpg

IMG20220801172954.jpg

IMG20220802171826.jpg

IMG20220802183247.jpg

IMG20220802183352.jpg

I started trying my window frame idea yesterday but it didn't go as well as planned so I'll take it out and try again tomorrow. C16 timber is proving uncooperative as it has some slight twists and bends in it that make getting a perfectly square and plumb frame a little challenging. I am going to try with some dressed 35x95mm timber I have left over from the house door jambs. Hopefully that will work a bit better.

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Mon, 2022-Aug-15, 12:03

coolio!!!

Wheresthedug

Postby Wheresthedug » Tue, 2022-Aug-16, 03:13

Thanks Glen