Flooring 1st floor

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
studilio

Flooring 1st floor

Postby studilio » Fri, 2024-Sep-06, 03:03

Hi guys,

I’ve been following this forum and John’s for many years with great interest. But I never had a reason to post a topic. Until now. ;)

I’m building a recording studio (control and live room) behind my house. Our house is located directly above a store, which runs about 30 meters (90 feet?) deep. Part of this depth on our (first) floor is the house obviously, than a big roof terrace, followed by a 40 m2 space (10x4). This is a separate space, not attached to our house or any adjacent houses. Below this space is storage of the shop. The floor has wooden beams and I reinforced it with extra beams, by a constructors advice. Below and attached to the beams is the ceiling of the storage below. 1 layer of simple plasterboard. In between the beams I stuffed it with 16 cm thick insulation. That is the current situation.

Now onto my question:
My original idea was to put decoupling foam directly on top of the beams, followed by 18 mm osb and 12 mm MDF. In my mind I’d have the 2 leaf construction there with the plasterboard-insulation-decoupling-floor layers. But since the plasterboard below (I can’t do anything there obviously) could hardly be called a leaf I’m in doubt now. Plus I’m told now by the constructor that I need a fire-slowing layer as well for insurance purposes. He suggested a layer of osb directly over the beams, then the fire layer (fermacell), then the decoupling foam and then the osb/underlayment and MDF layers. He also thought that would benefit the soundproofing isolation value. I tend to believe him but I’d really love some feedback! ;)

What do you guys think is the wise choice?

Cheers,
Leo

N.b. I read Soundman’s article on the (un)necessity of decoupling floors if you haven’t got a concrete floor below. I build quite a few studio’s yet and the results with this particular foam is very satisfying. So bear with me for this. I unfortunately cannot decouple with springy concrete floor.