952 Studios Construction!

Document your build here: All about your walls, ceilings, doors, windows, HVAC, and (gasp!) floated floors...
endorka

Postby endorka » Tue, 2024-Aug-20, 07:21

eightamrock wrote:Source of the postAlso had a little side project over the long weekend and organized my mic locker. Bought shadow foam from the UK and learned how to cut it. Was a bit tough but by the end I had it figured out.

Thanks for this, the pluck out cubes lining my microphone cases are either falling to bits or suffering from poorly chosen arrangement that I only realised after adding more mics to the collection :lol: I've been trying to figure out how to replace it and this shadow foam looks ideal.

There's a good video on cutting it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66eeGBlQAtk

Cheers!
Jennifer

eightamrock

Postby eightamrock » Mon, 2024-Sep-02, 12:46

endorka wrote:Source of the post
eightamrock wrote:Source of the postAlso had a little side project over the long weekend and organized my mic locker. Bought shadow foam from the UK and learned how to cut it. Was a bit tough but by the end I had it figured out.

Thanks for this, the pluck out cubes lining my microphone cases are either falling to bits or suffering from poorly chosen arrangement that I only realised after adding more mics to the collection :lol: I've been trying to figure out how to replace it and this shadow foam looks ideal.

There's a good video on cutting it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66eeGBlQAtk

Cheers!
Jennifer

I’m glad you found it useful! I bought 2 cases because I know I’ll change my mind many times about how I want the drawers organized. I use a husky (American brand) rolling tool chest to keep everything in. It locks and l can take it where I want to go. The top is the perfect size for changing strings and doing setups too. Win win.

A few updates. First, I’m quite happy to say we are definitely at the last mile, but the last mile and all of its detail really is the longest mile. I’ve been checking things slowly off the list. Recently made an insulation cutting jig for the many complex cuts I need to make with my rockwool. I wish I could go back to the past and tell myself to pay a bit more attention to the material sizes to reduce waste, but here we are.

IMG_7295.jpeg

IMG_7287.jpeg

The soffits are all framed up and the electrical is run for the puck lighting. I’m stuffing them now as you can see. It’s just very itchy work and takes quite a bit of time. These are the super chunk style traps in the front, there will be similar in the rear of the room.

IMG_7291.jpeg

IMG_7293.jpeg

Lastly, I started the control room window frames they came out lovely. Lasers for the win.

IMG_7278.jpeg

IMG_7285.jpeg

IMG_7286.jpeg

eightamrock

Postby eightamrock » Tue, 2024-Sep-03, 18:37

Can someone put my mind at peace? I made a bad design choice, though the esthetic is killer, but now I have all this rockwool cutoff. I’ve been stuffing my soffits with it, will this be detrimental because it’s not full sheets and it’s just kind of stuffed in there? I just don’t want to sacrifice anything at this late stage. I feel like it should be fine, it’s just messy.

IMG_7300.jpeg

IMG_7302.jpeg
IMG_7301.jpeg

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Wed, 2024-Sep-04, 03:28

The Rockwool looks to be correct, not stuffed (as in compressed), which will be fine. In soffits we want what gets called soft fluffy, which will be more useful in lower frequencies. It does not matter whether you use continuous lengths or scraps, just loosely fill the space. It looks good; keep going.

eightamrock

Postby eightamrock » Wed, 2024-Sep-04, 06:29

Starlight wrote:Source of the post The Rockwool looks to be correct, not stuffed (as in compressed), which will be fine. In soffits we want what gets called soft fluffy, which will be more useful in lower frequencies. It does not matter whether you use continuous lengths or scraps, just loosely fill the space. It looks good; keep going.

Very much appreciated. Thank you for the feedback. Glenn had said to stuff it with the pink stuff, but I have so much scrap. This helps me out a bit.

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Wed, 2024-Sep-04, 07:44

Glenn would say the pink stuff because it is less dense. You need to decide whether the Rockwool is soft and fluffy or more dense. I make the decision for myself as this: if it comes in a long roll it will be softer than if it comes in slabs. Does that make sense to you?

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Wed, 2024-Sep-04, 11:43

hard to tell by the pics what density you have just don't compress the rockwool it should be ok.

eightamrock

Postby eightamrock » Wed, 2024-Sep-04, 20:08

Starlight wrote:Source of the post Glenn would say the pink stuff because it is less dense. You need to decide whether the Rockwool is soft and fluffy or more dense. I make the decision for myself as this: if it comes in a long roll it will be softer than if it comes in slabs. Does that make sense to you?

gullfo wrote:Source of the post hard to tell by the pics what density you have just don't compress the rockwool it should be ok.

Thank you both!! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. We are almost there.

eightamrock

Postby eightamrock » Thu, 2024-Sep-12, 13:29

Ok so we have the 40kg/m^3 on the inside loosely stuffed, and the 128kg/m^3 rigid rockboard 80 on the outside.

Rear corner traps are 7.5" thick with 6" of soft and 1.5" of rigid on the face an 7" of airgap. Front bass traps are 12" deep super chunk style.

Looking good! Going to get my speakers in there this weekend to take a measurement.

IMG_7361.jpeg

IMG_7360.jpeg

eightamrock

Postby eightamrock » Mon, 2024-Sep-16, 00:26

Dry fitting some of the LEDs and testing diffusers. Going to be pretty cool!

IMG_7372.jpeg

IMG_7373.jpeg

IMG_7374.jpeg

gullfo

Postby gullfo » Mon, 2024-Sep-16, 13:04

:snack: